Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crappie in East Canyon?
When we were at east canyon today we saw several small crappie
floating on the surface and my partner said he had seen them as long as 10 years ago, has anyone else ever seen or caught crappie at east canyon? Also as we were heading up to east canyon we saw a flock of around 100 turkeys outside of Morgan.
WH2
[signature]
those turkeys are always there in the winter time. crappie? i have fished this res for many many years never heard or seen a crappie there. if they are there they were illegally introduced. i have spoken to the auqatic fish bioligist about this res many times never have i heard or the mention of these fish there. this is very disturbing in my opinion.
[signature]
Why do you think they were floating on the surface? Low oxygen, bad release, ect? Thats kind of odd to have a bunch of dead fish floating around. But I have heard of low water levels causing low oxygen levels in willard that caused fish to die and float. I hear they have smallmouth bass in there as well.
It could be low oxygen but we thought it was all the fish ducks
that were on the lake. We thought they might have been wounded
by the ducks but got away before they were eaten. The crappie we saw were only 2 inches long so I don't think it was a bad release. Smallmouth in East Canyon, I wonder if anyone has caught any? WH2
[signature]
ill call the auqatic bioligist tomorrow and find out about these allogations. these rumours have my quite bothered now and want to find out the truth behind it
[signature]
I bet they were just recently illegaly introduced into that pond and were in shock because the water was so cold. That could be why they were floating on the water.
[signature]
spoke to the auqatic bioligist today with the dwr. he told me there are no crappie in east canyon or small mouth that they had planted. if they are in there they are illegally introduced. he said they were talking about planting small mouth in there but it is only talk for right now. they watn to find out how the tiger trout faired there first
[signature]
I do not understand why someone would release another species of fish to this area??? What are they thinking????
[signature]
some people are just use to fishing a species and once they come here they cant and feel well this is close to me so what the heck ill fish for them here. gee i dont see any harm in it anyway its just a couple of crappie or bass or whatever. i love the term bucket biologists. its Sad but happens all the time.
[signature]
Went to east canyon yesterday and did'nt see any dead fish on the surface. However I did notice that the anchor worm seems to be worse than it was in the spring. I hope it don't ruin a great local place to catch fish.

Cableguy
[signature]
Don't know about crappies in East Canyon, but they used to die off like that in both Willard Bay and Pineview. Lots of two to three inchers in the late fall. I had to dodge feeding terns on several float tube trips to the South Marina and the upper inlet.

If you saw small crappies, there are more that didn't die. They were not likely planted as small fish, but as larger ones from the live well of a boat that had stopped first at Pineview.

To verify presences and population, DWR needs to conduct gill net and electroshocking around the shallow shorelines in the spring, when the adults are spawning.
[signature]
If I saw any number of fish floating on a lake at any time I would have great concern about what is in the water.

It would be less likely that small fish would die off before large fish did.

If you ever find such a situation gather samples and send them to a neutral testing facility and tell them that they are from your privet pond in the back yard. You will more likely get a straight answer by doing so. If you tell them where you actually found them you will get the run around form your local officials.

At the same time gather a water sample and send it to a different testing facility and again use the same discretion as mentioned above.

This way if they find some thing wrong they will mandate further testing and may attempt to condemn your property then and only then you can tell them where you got the samples.

I am not paranoid, I've just gotten the run around so much that I wont bother walking in the door with the truth until there is a need to. You may want to consider contacting your local news stations to cover the story; they seem to have better success at getting to the source of the problem.
[signature]
Sometimes the fish just get sick and float on top of the water...I dout theres any problems with the water, but then again..who knows?
[signature]
the water quality at east canyon is not a secret. it was mentioned as one out of three waters that didnt meet the epa's requirments earlier this year. the water quality is not good and has a over abundance of sulphur and phosphorus. it comes from the expanded development in park city and surrounding areas. it is either dumped or flows into the creek and then runs into the reservoir as a result. with expanded golf courses and subdivisions. one of the major contributors to the situation is fertilizer. and if thats not bad enough they have a anchor worm problem in the lake as well.

as i said before i called the dwr and told them this. they are not aware of crappie being in the lake. they do not plan on planting them there. they said the cover is not sufficient for the crappie. they have not done a test in 3 years and if i remember correctly said they would have one next year.
[signature]