Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Awesome
Hi all,
Got my new Fish Cat Cougar and took it out this weekend. I'll be honest, even after putting it together in the back yard, I still wasn't totally sold on the whole thing. But man, I can't believe how much fun I had once I got it out on the water. I had a blast! It was perfectly stable and there was plenty of room to stretch when I needed too. (I did add a swivel seat though.) I even had trouble getting it into the water because the guys on the shore kept asking me about it. I can't believe these things aren't more popular; up here at least. To make it even better, I caught this fatty, just shy of 20", in a little lake right here in St. Paul, MN!

[Image: getmsg?curmbox=F000000001&a=ce25...mimepart=5]

[#bf0000](EDIT: Hmm, looks like the pic didn't work. That's Ok though, the bass looked good, but the pic of me wasn't that great. But I had so much fun, I don't even care! I think I'm still a little giddy about my new boat.)[/#bf0000]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, sounds like the plan went together. Glad you are pleased with your new toy and your new hobby.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you will send that pic to [url "mailto:pscouten@comcast.net"]pscouten@comcast.net[/url] I will edit it into the post for you. If you did a copy and paste, from another website, it should have worked. If you simply did a copy and paste from one of your files, it will not work. You need to upload it first, by using the attachment function at the bottom.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]First, click on browse and then select the folder and file you want to attach. It should be smaller than 250KB. Click on open and then once it is in the Attachment window, click on Upload Attachment.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you want to display a pic in the body of the post, it needs to be smaller than 400 pixels. Once you have it uploaded, click on Post Reply, to finish your post and upload the pic. Now go to the post and open the picture from the attachment file at the bottom. Right click on the displayed picture and choose "Copy". Hit the back arrow to return to your post. Now, click on edit, at the top. When the post changes to edit mode, place the cursor wherever you want the picture to appear and right click. Chose "Paste" from the menu and your copied picture should appear. Now, go to the bottom and click on Save Changes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We would like to see the pic, so if you want to send it to me, I will take care of sticking it into your post.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Got ya, thanks. Here it is an an Attachment then. The pic's from my camera phone. It can't handle bright sun, hence the wash out on the side. But you certainly see the fish. And, unfortunately, my neck fat.
[signature]
Good lookin bass - who's the ugly hat dude with it ? I have a "big brother" to your cougar - a 12 footer. It's a total blast ! If you have any customizing questions(like motorzing it or anything else) I have probably already encountered it and worked out a solution for it - and I'll be glad to help if I can.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Oopsie. Somebody forgot to log in.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are some models of pontoons that provide aprons, either above or below than angler. There's no doubt that Murphy's Law afflicts fishermen, and that if there is a chance you will lose something, it will happen when there is no chance for prevention or recovery.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Having an apron is something I grew to appreciate on float tubes and I think I would miss them on a pontoon. In fact, I did away with the mesh apron on my Super Fat Cat and substituted a homemade "rigid" apron from a lid from a Rubbermaid container. Here's link to a post with a pic. You might be able to rig something similar by installing a PVC riser or else stretching a bungee cord across between the frames on either side.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=123367;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"][#333366][size 1]RIGID FAT CAT APRON[/size][/#333366][/url][size 1] [/size]
[signature]
Guilty. I think I came right to the post from a notification in my e-mail. Too bad it doesn't automatically log you in from there.

Bungee cords are a great idea! I'm going to try to rig up something like an apron. Might be a while before I actually get to it though. Thanks for the idea.
[signature]
OK, now that I see you've fessed up to this iteration of "Guest" I'll respond back - typically I don't even read something that is owned by "Guest" let alone respond.

Anyway, There are photos of my ugly mug on this board already - no need to endanger anyone else's camera or computer screen by plastering my device breaking visage up here again. Suffice it to say - I can probably out ugly you any day of the week.

You'll love your pontoon - especially after you've customized it to fit your fishing situation or habits. There are a number of things you can do to make it more user friendly to your application and more efficient to use while on the water. Check out the pics on the other threads - I don't have the links so you'll have to look - that should be OK, because you will also encounter lots of other good ideas on those threads while exploring.

Because of the exposure inherent in the design, you might want to consider using equipment leashes for a number of items - rods, fish handling tools and personal effects can go for a swim while you are otherwise occupied with fishing, fighting fish or just moving around. I also use a stripping net under my seat as a catch all. But, that can be a little inconvenient unless you've also done some other modifications to your set-up. If you have any specific questions about the format of your toon, let me know, I am sure I have already run across the issue at least once.
[signature]
Ha! Well thanks for responding FH! I did a lot of looking around here before I got the boat. I should do it again now that I know what I'm looking for. I'll keep an eye out for one of your glamour shots. A leash is another great idea. I hadn't even though of my rod falling off. I would be seriously pissed in that event. The double pontoon does allow for a good amount of space store things like that, but I will look into a leash. What do you use? I'd think it would be best to secure it to the butt of the rod (I use spinning). How do you even attach it? Now that I'm thinking, what do you even use as a cord?
I'll need to attach something under my seat too. What did you have to modify to make it work better? Thanks for the help!
[signature]
For leashes, I have successfully used(I have changed several times for convenience and experimenting)parachute chord, shock chord, velcro and some handy dandy car key holder cords with plastic clips. You can secure the leash to the rod handle or the reel seat using plastic clips or as I have also done, you could use the giant ocean going snap swivels. Anything can work that you can attach to your device on one end and the boat on the other - the length of the leash will need to be adjusted to your situation. The main feature of the connectors of the leashes to be considered is; How easy is it to secure and release. I use cheap plastic snaps(the snaps look like the clips used on dog leashes that attach to the dog collar).

I use them mostly for the devices that are not currently in my hands and being used. For example: I usually carry several rods already rigged up. The rod I am casting is not leashed - the others are leashed and secured in the rod holders - the same goes with my pliers, lip grippers, landing net, etc.

For my fumble safty net, I take the stripping apron and attach it under the frame and under my seat instead of over it(mine attaches only with velcro so it is easy to adjust). When I do this it interferes with kick-steering the toon with fins, so I only utilize it when my pontoon is motorized. When I use my toon as an oar rig I am fly fishing on a river and I use it as a stripping apron so I can steer my toon with my feet. When motorized, I use an old plastic serving try(like the ones used in cafeterias) on my lap instead of the stripping apron(TubeDude uses the lid from a Rubbermaid storage container and calls it a "sushi board) - it is much better when handling fish to have a good surface - especially with some species that have teeth or spines to deal with that could be somewhat dangerous on an inflatable boat.
[signature]