Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Report 22-26 June
Spent last weekend at Bear Lake with my family and some friends. My son is addicted to fishing for suckers at the marina and begged me to take him on Friday evening. He slayed them as usual using a nightcrawler and a bobber. He also landed a couple whites in his pursuit of the lippy buggers as well.

As for me.... well I only caught one fish the whole evening but it was well worth it. I was casting Vibrax spinners out as far as my old body could achieve in hopes of hooking into a cutt that may be cruising by for an early evening snack. The #5 spinner was blue with a silver blade and fairly large for those pesky suckers to be interested in. I casted out and retrieved slow, fast, deep, shallow to no prevail. After I think my 4000th cast I was kinda bumping the bottom and felt a tap....tap! Well, dumb me I figured I was hitting a weed bed or rocks yet again but the tap...tap was once again there. I set the hook and started to real in.... not much fight, not much drag.... Well, I'm guessing a white or a small cutt maybe. Much to my surprize when I could finally see the little bugger. I just caught a very beautiful 14" PERCH!!! That's right a PERCH! I had asked about them being in there and have been told of great fishing for them years ago but I still had my doubts. This is a cold water fishery and perch are warm water fish so I thought.

What an awsome surprize and a great end to a wonderful vacation. I had such a great time with my family that I think I will go back up this Friday and spend another week!!
[signature]
Perch are often mistaken as only a warm water fish. But they do quite well in a wide range of water temps and conditions. Jordanelle is by no means a warm water lake and look at how well they have done in there.

John
[signature]
I forgot to mention.

All the suckers were released so I have no bait to share.

The PERCH... well there was some battle wounds and blood so I did what any humane fisherfolk would do.... that's right.... BREAKFAST. I am usually a catch, picture, and release kinda guy but once in a while a person needs to eat.
[signature]
Dang Pat, that is a very big perch! I hope he was tasty! Do you ever come home?
[signature]
Bear Lake is Home! Roy is my vacation domicile.

Very tasty but I had to share with three other mouths. [Sad]
[signature]
[size 1]"All the suckers were released so I have no bait to share."[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]Pat, you are one cruel guy![/size]
[signature]
Not cruel, just trying to entice you to come fishing in my neck of the woods.

Maybe you could even stay awake for the drive? LOL Just kidding.
[signature]
I bet I would do fine, because some how I don't think fishing all night for bait (aka suckers) would be too much of a temptation.
[signature]
[cool]Hey, that's a dang nice perch, fish1on! I had no idea that they were in the Bear. Makes me REALLY miss the ice fishing at Rockport. Maybe I'll have to take my tube out there soon. I need to get out and after those little rascals so I can make another batch of "Pigout perch chowder!" That stuff rocks (thanks for the recipe, TD)!
[signature]
Congratulations on reaching another miestone. A few years back I caught a few perch in one day, I told Kent about it and I think he did not belive me that perch where in there.
[signature]
[size 1]"I told Kent about it and I think he did not belive me that perch where in there."[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]Must have been another Kent, because this Kent knew that there were perch in Bear Lake.[/size]
[signature]
[#0000ff][size 1]"Macks? Cutts? Hey, they are only trout."[/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 1][/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 1]Hey Pat, quit spreading that rumor. I know you are aware that macks are a member of the char family, not the trout family.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
That world record perch is my new Bear Lake goal. I gave up on the 15 lb Mack, my 13lb was way too cool of a catch for me (Thanks again MGB).

I will send you a pm Pat.
[signature]
And I thought you didn't fish for perch . You been holding out on me Mike . He He !! Come on you tell me . LOL
[signature]
I don't fish for perch! One day at the bear I couldn't keep them dang things off my line, so I relocated.
[signature]