Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake - 11/27/02
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]It was a good day on the Bear today. I almost didn't go because my fishing buddy called me last night and backed out at the last minute. I woke up at 5:30 am and decided what the heck and went up myself and I'm glad I did. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]When I got to the state park marina it was 22 degrees with still air and ice covering the still water in the marina. I got there about 8:00 am and launched under clear skies and no wind. No better way to start the day. You can tell the cold weather is starting to set in. Ice was in the calm portions of the marina but the channel out of the marina was clear.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I went out to my usual first spot just outside the marina and fished for about and hour catching one little cutthroat. Pretty slow. So I decided to check the rockpile and made the run south. I decided to check the rockpile pile and see if there was any fish activity, such as the whitefish spawning but there was very little going on right on top of it. I did a little jigging but no results. Very few fish.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I started to idle around checking for marks and started seeing some good arcs on the sonar starting at about 65 ft. The day was still very clear and calm so I decided to through out the chain instead on the anchor so I could move aorund without having to pull up the anchor everytime. Within 10 minutes I was hooked up. Nothing big just a pint size mack in the 3 lb range. I fished there for about an hour and caught a few more fish; a mix of macks and cutts but all below 3 lbs.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I started moving around a bit and would see marks and drop on them if I could. I caught a few fish this way but still nothing big. I got out to 77 ft and started graphing fish. A lot of fish. Well, to make a long story shorter (you all know me!) I sat at 77 ft and had a ball the rest of the day. A small front passed to the north and the bite picked up. I caught a few more macks and then started catching cutts. The wind picked up and so did the fishing! [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I had planned to get of the water about 2:00 but ended up staying til almost dark. The fish wouldn't leave me alone! It finally slowed down a bit around 4:30 pm and I decide to hit the road for home. By this time the little front had past and the lake was calm and smooth.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]When I got to the state marina there were three boats fishing the shallows off the dikes for whitefish. I stopped and talked to all the boats and they said that they had picked up a few but they didn't think the whitefish had moved it yet. This was the concensus of all three boats. I didn't stop to fish but headed into the marina and to the ramp. As I got into the marina, large chucks of ice, which had broken loose from the calm areas during the warmth of the day, were floating in the channel and scrapped the boat as I entered. It looks like the ice aerators in the marina were working as I could see the bubbles from them coming up but they were not turned on at full blast.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]To recap the day I caught and released close to 20 fish. It was a guppyfest to the max with the largest fish, a cutthroat, weighing a little over 4 pounds. It was a good day on the Bear today.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]BearLakeMack,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Even though you didn't land any trophies, it sounds like you had a nice day catching plenty alone and enjoying the crisp mountain air. Today I spent my allowance on some good cold weather duds so that Friday when we're out breaking ice I won't be wishing I were indoors. I've never fished Bear Lake and am looking forward our trip on Friday.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]If we have a day like I had today on Friday, you will enjoy yourself. The main goal always is big fish but you take what is given you. If the Bear doesn't want to hand them out Friday so be it but it won't be because we didn't give it a heck of a go![/size][/font]
[signature]