Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a new duck dog?
I was given a new dog this week, I have been told it is a Chesapeake lab, not sure if it is purebread. What can I start with to train him, before I get my hands on a book or DVD about bird dog training. Can I train him to get upland AND waterfowl, or is each a different game to them? He will already sit, come when called (although I don't know if I could call him off if he went after another dog), he is great with kids (he seams to know it's o.k. to be a little rough with the 6yr old but only licks and cudles with the 10month old). He is also one of the most beautiful dogs I've seen. I will get to Sportsmans some time this week, to get a book on training, but is there anything I can do the next couple of days to start him off? Any sugestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Steve
[signature]
Congrats on the pup. A great online source is at [url "http://www.versatiledogs.com/"]versatiledogs[/url], they have a great selection of training infomation. I also like the book, [url "http://www.gundogsupply.com/b10mirehowto.html"]10 minute retriever by Dahl[/url]. Another online resource is [url "http://www.refugeforums.net/refuge/"]the refuge forums[/url], any and all bird and dog discussion. Also look inot a local retriever club as they have training a trials for very cheap if not free. The Lee Kay center in Salt Lake also has a great training facility for all of your training desires.

A Chessie is a very versatile dog and given the proper training you will have no problems with him running upland and fowl.

And the number one thing to start on with the dog will be the basic obedience training. If your dog wont sit, come, stay or heel then you both will have a very difficult time in the field.

Good luck and leave lots of room for error when you start.
[signature]
A good book to pick up is called "Water Dog". You can find it in Sportsman's. Lots of good info here.
[signature]
Thanks Jack, I'll check those websites! I called my cousin and he said he will let me borrow some of his training dvd's, so now I wont have to make the trip to sportsmans (not for training stuff anyway). I'm excited.
[signature]
I have trainned a few dogs in my day a great way to begin trainning is in your hall of your home close all the doors and use a small paint roller. (cheaper then a dummy.) throw it to the end of hall then call her back. this way she cant run around on u to much.[Smile]
[signature]
Good idea, I tried a balll this weekend out on the lawn, and he would go get it but not bring it back to me, it was kinda frustrating.
[signature]
Cowmilker, you have touched on one of the best hobbies in the world (next to fishing) :}
all though I dont have as many dogs under my belt as some of the others I do a few and the one thing that I have not seen anyone say is make sure you work with the dog EVERY DAY.
The most important thing is not so much to train your dog to fetch sit stay and all the other bar tricks, But is to just teach the dog to learn. You need to always work them. There is a book and I am sorry I cant think of the name or auther I will try to get it to you in a couple days but he is one of the best when it comes to training.

One other thing is make sure you separate toys and tools. What you use for training and what you use for play should never be mixed together or you dog can mistake your days shot for a keep away toy.

Also when you work with the pup make sure nobody else is putting in there 2 cents. The pup needs to be focused on you and only you. for the first couple weeks it was just me and the dog, then I would invite a kid out but no talking then kinda work it from there.

The one about the pup and I wil have to find the exact time frames but there is a fram of time and I think it is week 16 or so to week 38 ir 48 that they have found the pups are most teachable per say. kinda like a kid at the age of 4-6. Best time to teach them. I will work on getting that info for ya and try to get back in the next day or so.

Good luck. As frustrating as training can be there are few feeling that can beat that of watching you dog retreaive a down bird on that opening day.
[signature]