Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry
Went to strawberry on Saturday and got skunked again. We launched at the renegade ramp at about 7:30am and fished until 3:00. We tried rapalas, pop gear and a nightcrawler and jigging. Same result on everything. This is the third time I've been starwberry and got skunked. It sounds like I should have went to trusty Bear Lake again for some better fishing. The water temp was a cool 34 degrees and there was pretty good ice in the bays first thing in the morning. Most of it had broke up and moved by noon. The channel leading over to Soldier creek was completely iced over and not moving at all. The road to renegade was a little icy in spots but is very much accessible until we get some more snow. The fog was so thick around the marina area I thought I was driving to work in Cache Valley. Maybe someone here can send some words of encouragement my way about fishing strawberry because I've got my self convinced that strawberry is not for me.
[signature]
Hey Crestliner not to worry the Berry takes it's toll on a lot of anglers. Ask FB2 he had a 2 year dry spell at the Berry. But he broke that this year with a 3 pound cutt. It's still not his 1st choice (the middle and upper Provo would be that) but he no longer complains. I think with his new found float tube (thanks TD) that he may find fishing the Berry even more enjoyable in the future. I go there a lot at least once a week most of the year (excluding winter (that may change this winter), early spring and late fall at least twice a week. The next time you go drop me a line and I'll fill you in on the hot spots (if there are any) and let you know whre the old reliable fishing is. Also this time of year they change their eating habits, rapalas are not their favorite this time of year. On your next trip try a wolly bugger (black or brown) fish early dawn and late afternoon. To get reactive strikes shinners (lures) and a lemon vibe shads have worked this fall. Also minnows have had a marginal success rate this time of year.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]After the fish you've been pulling out of Bear Lake, I'd imagine you'd have a difficult time going anywhere else. That an awfully lot of driving to and from Cache Valley to get skunk! Man, that sucks![Sad][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I've had friends trying to pull me down to Strawberry to fish but I have yet to go. Why go to Strawberry and catch 25 small trout(on a good day) when I can go to Bear Lake, which is an hour away, and have the chance at something much larger? To each his own. I don't need to catch a fish every ten minutes to keep my level of interest up. For ME, the draw is not there. Now if someone wants to go chase fish at the Gorge..................[/size][/font]
[signature]
Tell me about it. I would trade one big fish and a one hour drive any day for what I had on Saturday. I can guarantee you I won't be going back that way for awhile. I have caught more fish through the ice on a bad day at bear lake than I have caught at strawberry all together(ice or no ice). I have to admit though, I used to say the same thing about Bear lake until I put in my time and figured a few things out. Sounds like you had quite the day friday over there. We will have to hook up some day and go over together and trade some secrets. Did you see Doug Miller Saturday night at the gorge? That looks like a ton of fun to me.
[signature]
Hey Crestliner,

Sorry to hear about your trip to Strawberry. I have had some great days at Strawberry and a few days almost as bad as the one you had. I haven't been there for a few weeks, but I would bet they were in quite shallow, and probably needed a slow presentation. If you know how to fish Bear Lake I will gladly trade you a day at Bear Lake for a day at Strawberry. I have my best days in the heat of the summer (which is contrary to what most people experience) and early fall.

Kent
[signature]
[size 2]I'll share what's worked for me in years past. I usually hit Strawberry each year right before ice-up, and I always do very well. First, fish in the evening. Second, cast black jigs or even spoons to shores in the bays. The fish are shallow. Give this a try and let me know how you do.[/size]

[size 2]I've been there several times when my boat was icing up, and when the lake was icing up on me. I had to switch to heavier line because the water was freezing, and though my jig would poke through, my line would float on the thin layer of ice. Caught lots of fish, though.[/size]
[signature]
Crestliner, sorry about the bad day at the berry. I would think you were probably fishing too fast, too deep or both. When trolling I always try to go with the flow of the waves or against them. I try to almost scrape the bottom in around 10-15 of water near some kind of structure this time of the year, with big slow motion "s" turns. Or drift past spots that have active fish with a bait tipped jig, streamer fly, or spoon, twitching and jigging, teasing them to strike. People pass me like I'm dead in the water when trolling, but I always have good action. Alot of the boats seem to pass right past the active fish going too fast, or they catch 1 fish and keep going. Always investigate further any place your getting bit or catch a fish. Lots of times these concentrations of active fish will keep you busy for hours. I don't think I would bother with the berry too much if I lived that close to bear lake or the gorge. Next time you go post a fishing report request and I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction with a few tips. Good fishing. Aron
[signature]
I fished the "Berry" sunday and caught one fish . Missed about 5 other hits . I must of got there late because it shut down for me at 11:00 am . I was fishing from shore with various jigs . I stayed until 4:00 pm and nothing . I think I will give up on this water until the ice is on . I did see some float tubers catch a couple but they said it was slow for them too . They did claim to see fish deep on there fish finder and did manage to catch one from the deep .
[signature]
Hi DennisW , You're post about fishing when the lake was icing over reminds me of ice off in the spring at the berry . I went there one year and it snowed the day I went . When I arrived there was very little open water ( a little to early ) . I did find a small hole along the edge and fished it for about a hour . Then I walk away from it after catching 3 fish . I notice the ice around the edges was slush . I cast into the slush and my jig just hung below the slush and my line was on top . so I let it set there for a few seconds and all the sudden the slush move and fish was on . I fished in the slush the rest of the day and nail about 20 more . I had fish hit it as close as 2 feet from shore . One rainbow jump out to chase my jig as I lifted it to recast and almost jump to shore . I fished black jigs sunday and that is what I caught my only fish on . I was also on shore fishing . I was getting strikes on 3 " curly tails in a white with pepper . I didn't try spoons but will keep that in mind . My spelling is not the greatest . (slush) ? tight lines
[signature]