Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archery hunters
Have those of you who do the archer hunt started practicing? I've been shooting for the past couple of months, and my long range stuff is finally coming together. Got some new sights for the bow this year, so it took a while to do some tuning, but I'm getting to the point where my groups are looking good. What is your longest distance pin, and what is your longest distance comfort zone (6-10" groups)? Lots of factors come into play when shooting, but I hope that no one takes shots that are likely to wound animals.
[signature]
My comfort range is 50 yards I got a 60 yrd pin but my groups are not as tight as i would like. Its fun steppin back and throwing a few that far but i would never shoot after game that far. what kind of arrows are you using and what grain of broadhead? also if you dont mind what new pins did you get?
[signature]
I just upgraded to some Easton Axis with obsession camo pattern. They are pretty nice, first time using carbons, and I'm pretty pleased. A little on the pricey side, but so far worth the money. I shoot 100 grain tips. I picked up a Trophy Ridge Matrix sight array. Really nice, but my biggest gripe is that you can only have 5 pins on most of these style of sights. I used to have a fairly large sight window, and I previously had a 90 yard pin, of course it was for fun, but it was cool to have. Now I have to compromise and have a 25, 40,50,60, and 75 yard pins. Oh well. I'm pretty comfortable out to 60 yards, and I can get about a 12 inch group at 75, but if you figure in any angle, buck fever, wind, etc, I doubt I'd let fly at that range. No need to wound an animal, or waste an arrow/broadhead.
[signature]
I also have the trophy ridge sight and my only neg of it is my field of view but other then that I love it. By far carbons are the way to go. you get so much more fps and accuracy because of the weight. plus they dont get bent up they stay true. and if they are not true they shatter.
[signature]
I'd had a pretty good supply of aluminums, and I was just waiting till I worked my way to around a dozen or so before upgrading. Took me a couple more years than I thought it would, but hey, I got my money's worth out of them.
[signature]
I picked up a bow last year and been having some success with it. Have you been up to the range in Brigham? I here its worth the drive. If anyone is interested in trying it out I would like to join.
Wilde Arrow is kind of fun too.
[signature]
I've never been up to that range, but I have frequented Wilde Arrow and pounded the screen a few times. It's a lot of fun, but it is a little pricey.
[signature]
I've been practicing now for almost 2 months, I've gotten pretty good at 30-40 yards shots which 40 would be my max shot specially since I'm hunting out of a tree stand. I'm still using alum arrows I want to try carbon next year when I have more time to practice but now that we've got 2.5 weeks before the opener no time to switch over.
[signature]
If you have a 12" group at 75 yards, I hope you have enough self-disipline to not even think about shooting at a deer at that distance. What kind of groups are you getting at 50 or 60 yards?

Rut
[signature]
My 50-60 yard groups are at 4 inches. I like to practice at 75, cause then the closer shots are like money in the bank. Like I said above, it's not worth wounding an animal at that range, it's just fun to shoot.
[signature]
Well, how did it go???

Rut
[signature]
Did any of you have any luck? D-mack and I went up to Monte Cristo near Lightning ridge and didn't even see a doe. We are headed up again this weekend with hopefully a different story to tell next monday.
[signature]
I went out west in the desert for opening morning. Passed up a couple of bucks, one of which was a decent 26" 3X4. I marked the area he was in for my younger brother and I to hunt later on the rifle hunt. He'd love a buck like that. I saw both of the 28's I saw scouting, but they were bedded down in a bare box canyon under some cliffs, and I didn't want to scare them out of the country.

Sunday I went up high on the manti and saw a bunch of does and a few smaller bucks, but none that reached the 30" wide or 190" net mark.

So it looks like I'll just have to keep an eye on things till the muzzle loader season comes and I can put a bullet in them big boys a little easier. That darn desert's just too dry to get within 40 yeards of a big, smart mulie. And if that dosen't work out, then my trust .243 will definatly do the job very easilly later in October.
[signature]
Mc_Lennon,
Sounds like you have a pretty good spot out in the desert, some day I would like to figure out how to hunt that area.

Rut
[signature]
I didn't get my Buck but had a good hunt though, seen quite alot of bucks but always in the wrong spot or wrong time might try a get out once more before closing.
[signature]
Hello,
I saw this post and wanted to let you guys know in case you were intrested. [size 2]We have a new advertiser that is offering a 5% discount to hunters who purchase products at their site. Simply type in the promotional code" TOL" when you check out. Also they are running a raffle of a $150 Gift Certificate for members who join the e-newsletter.

Check out the site at: [/size][url "http://www.rmarchery.com/"][#0000ff][size 2]http://www.rmarchery.com/[/size][/#0000ff][/url]

Sorry, TheKillerBee, I wasn't trying to spam your post but noticed it and thought it might save anyone looking for bow equipment a few bucks, and also give our advertiser some extra exposure.
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator