Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woodruff res.
Hit the crawfords looking for antelope this morning. On the way home we stopped by woodruff for a little ice fishing. The ice is plenty thick enough to fish. Between 4-5 inches thick. Lots of guys fishing it. The reports have been good from the weekend with lots of repeat anglers. Ranibow sparkle will have to give you his report, as he was using different tackle and techniques than I was. I was using my standard curl tail grub tipped with a wax worm. The trick that worked fro me was to free spool the jig down through the water column stopping it every three feet, then letting it fall again. I was in 50 ft of water, once the jig hit bottom, I reeled up a bit ang jigged it. If no bite came, I reeled back up and started the three foot drop and wait then drop falling technique again. I did manage a few bonus fisah that hit the jig while I was not jigging, the pole was laying on my chair when the tip dipped. Was a great little trip for the first ice of the year. The road over monte cristoe is open regardless of the signs that say it is closed. Its just a small lake that is getting a lot of pressure right now being that it is one of the few lakes with ice on, so if you go, please excersice good judgement and practise catch and release. Every one on the ice was keeping limits leaving rainbow sparkle and my self as the odd men out. But it can be critical on these small lakes. Rainbow sparkle has photos and some video of the days fishing events, hopefully he will post up the pics and share the techniques that worked for him.
do you know if there is still tigers in there? were you catching rainbows?
[signature]
The only fish I am aware of in there are cutts and white fish. They may have some bows or even some tiger trout but all I ever catch or see caught is cutts with the occasional white.
[size 2]What a great day it was! I only caught 4 fish lost 2 and missed way to many bites. All my fish were caught on a fire fly. I tried foxy jigs and some other generic jigs. Green or chartruse seemed to be the color of choice. Predator really kicked my butt only because I was busy trying to film. The futage turned out great. That was my first time filming an Ice fishing trip. I will take it with me every time. Did get one good deer on film also.[/size]
[signature]
it was shown that woodruff had a population of tigers in 1994. i dont know if the stocking program is still in effect or if they are still in there so i was curious. thanks for the info
[signature]
[size 4]Heres a couple pics from the trip.[/size]

[url "http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/BASS8424/PageAlbumFishing+picsPageNumber1Pic7Fullview.htm"][Image: BASS8424CustomImage0275080.bmp][/url]

Rainbow sparkle with the biggest fish he caught all day. Ha Ha.

[url "http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/BASS8424/PageAlbumFishing+picsPageNumber1Pic8Fullview.htm"][Image: BASS8424CustomImage0288613.bmp][/url]

Me holding the fish I was using for bait on the end of my line to catch the huge ones! Just kidding.
the truth of the mater is predator is that what you are holding in your hand is the size of the suckers/chubs we use for pike over here in michigan. that is when I am not using my thumb for bait [cool]

Now if we can just keep the ice on we will be doing great. I am hoping to get in some bass fishing before the end of the year.

I haven’t kept one all year, I only like them through the ice. And not the big ones either, closest to the minimum size as possible and then only one or two is all I want for the freezer.

I can’t tell in the pic but your ice looks a little darker than ours.

Ours is like glass. Scary to walk on it and see the bottom 12-14 feet below and if it weren’t for the cracks in the ice showing about 6 inches the site is down right terrifying

I just checked out your site I see it is doing fine great work.

If you were trying what I did to make the pics bigger in another screen the way I do them let me know and I will call you and hook you up.
[signature]