Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Commercial Hunting Area For Pheasants
I am looking at taking my "Brittany" somewhere to chase pheasants this week or next. She has had a long drought last year with me building a house for my parents and needs a reward (me too!) I was wondering if anyone knows of a good commercial hunting area they can recommend that isn't too far from Davis County where I live. With the price of gas now, it wouldn't pay to drive a long way to save a few $$ per bird. Thanks, Mr. J.
[signature]
sorry MRJ the only ones that I know of that dont charge a annual fee to hunt is in Nephi and i also belive there is one in Roosevelt. kinda off the subject but did you have to teach your Britt to force fetch? or does it retrive?
[signature]
I am not sure what "force fetch" is, but she has the natural instinct to retrive, even when she was a pup. She struggles with large birds a bit like a pheasant or blue grouse, but gets the job done well enough for me. It is really funny, she will often find the bird, point it, locate it when I knock it down, but then only bring it back half way to me. It is almost like, "OK, I have done my part now you have to meet me half way on this deal". I can handle that. She does all the hard parts, finding, holding the bird and getting it after it is down. I almost believe she is thinking, "hey, this bird is dead. I want to find another live one". She really likes the birds that are putting up a fight. Those she brings back all the way. They really get her wired. Mr. J.
[signature]
There's one in Orem (well, Vineyard, really) called Holdaways Hunts or something like that (they do mostly pheasants but I think they also do a few chuckars as well). They are located off of 400 South in Orem, head west on Orem 400 South, cross Geneva Rd. and head down to the the end. There is a sign at the junction of 400 S Orem and Geneva Rd. I don't know how much they charge per bird.
[signature]
good deal thats how my britt is she will bring it half way back and then start to barry it then go look for more live birds! If you ever want I love hunting with other britts i would love to go out in the field with ya.
[signature]
My dog hasn't tried to bury a bird yet, just munch on a wing or a head until I stop her. She came from a guy in Filmore. Where did you get yours? I have a December cow elk tag for the new Diamond Fork area so I will be down your way off and on doing some scouting. During the grouse season I will take her and my scattergun for a 2-fer-one type of trip. When I lived in Provo years and years ago I used to hunt above Santaquin a lot with good success. If I will be down your way and need a hunting partner, I will send you a note. You do the same if you are up the Bountiful way. Then there is always the Chucker season. Mr. J.
[signature]
I got my female from payson,(orange and white) and I also got a male from idaho (liver and white) from dave walker check out his website. To do some field trials with him, he is learning to be "forced fetched" I have done some scouting for chuckers already and have found alot of coveys it looks like the heck with pheasants and hello chuckers there better to hunt anyway. there faster and sometimes harder to get to[Smile] a friend raises bobwhites and there a hoot. they are starting to be flight conditioned (he lets them out of the pen to fly) thats whats nice about bobs they will come back in the pen when it gets dark.
[signature]
I belive you can find a local pheasant farm at the dwr website you will just have to find out if anybody can hunt there or if you need to become a member.
[signature]