Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charles Daly Shotguns info needed
I am looking for a shotgun for my boy that will be turning 12 in January. I came across shotguns made by Charles Daly. This is the link to the site: [url "http://www.charlesdaly.com/html/products/firearms/shotguns/pump/pump.asp"]http://www.charlesdaly.com/html/products/firearms/shotguns/pump/pump.asp[/url]

I am looking at the youth models for him. Does anyone know anything about these guns, good or bad..

Thanks
[signature]
I have heard they are pretty good for the price you pay. This last spring I bought a Stoeger Condor O/U that I absolutely love! I think they have youth model shotguns as well. I understand they are part of Benelli. When my boy turned 12, I haunted the pawn shops til I found a youth model Remington 870 20-gauge. 21" barrel, choke tubes, very light weight. I think I paid $160 and it was perfect except for a very minor flaw in the stock. This is a great youth gun because you can use both 2 3/4" and 3" shells and shoot anything that flies. Until I got my Stoeger which came with a 20ga. & 12ga. barrel set ($400), I often used it for grouse hunting. Something to think about. Mr. J.
[signature]
I've heard that brand is very low quality. You'd be better off with a Remington 12 gauge 870 Express or some other equivalent gun.. You can usually get them for a little more than $200 brand new, and they're a reliable gun. Mossberg has some good beginner guns that are good quality too.

I wouldn't buy it for me or for my kid.
[signature]
Just like any other item out there everyone has an opinion. I have heard both really good and really bad and everything between. I do not own one but I have shot one of their semiauto's. I really did not like the fit or the shooting of it. The action was sloppy and overall I was not impressed. Now if the thing never freezes and repels swamp mud nicely I might think differently. I have a mossberg maverick88 and for the 125.00 I spent on it the gun has been mostly flawless, it too is a bit noisy and sloppy. I also have a remington express mag and it shoots great as well, real tight not so sloppy and less noisey.

I am looking for a youth model as well. I will be hitting the pawn shops for a single shot break action in a 28 or .410 for my soon to be 8 year old. If you do get a youth model new for the kiddo make sure you can adjust it that way it will last longer and make sure he holds it and it fits him well.
[signature]
Hey OEJ I also own a Mossberg Maverick, but I think mine is the 91 Maverick. Does yours hold 3 1/2" shells? Mine does, and I must say they are a BLAST to shoot, although if you shoot a box all at once your arm will pay for it later. lol [cool]

I love that gun, it's been very good to me. I got it used at Gunnies in Orem 8 years ago for I belive $180 or thereabouts.
[signature]
Thanks for all of the comments, I am just trying to get the feelers out so that I can decide what to do. I think I may take my boy to sportmans or Payson sports and have him fitted to see what size of gun he should be shooting. Then I may surf the pawn shops also too what I can find. I am planning on getting it for X-mas for him so I have some time to shop around.
[signature]
It will only do 3" and I think I picked it up a t agrats sale for under 100.00, retail now is about 150.00 for them. Cant beat them up enough and you really do get a thumping.
[signature]
Another place you might want to check is Van Wagenen's (Norm's) in Orem. It is located on State Street at approx. 600 South or maybe a bit farther south, on the East side of the street. It's a pawn shop that over half the store is dedicated to guns. I bought my 30'06 there a long time ago for a great price. He sells tons of shotguns too.
[signature]
I was planning on go there. Back when they were in Provo I bought mymy 1st rifle with them as well and I still own it too. I guess I just need to be patient and find the best deal on the best gun for him. Also I plan on passing this gun to my other kids when they are able to shoot.
[signature]