Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friday the 13th on Bear Lake

[signature]

[signature]
Hey old coot, you may have already heard by now, big lake trout taste like crap. Ha Ha. Seriously, I dont know anyone who has ever eaten a big laker and liked it. But, this brings up a very interesting subject that can be touchy for many anglers. The subject of releasing big fish. There seems to be an "old school" way of thinking that says keep your limit. Theres also a "not as old school" way of thinking that says keep the big fish and let the little ones go. Then you have the new age thinking of catch and release. Now, we all know me. I have a fairly rigid release mindset. But the real thing to give some thought to is the concept of "predetermined release". I just made that terminology up by the way. The way I figure it is, if you decide before you catch that big trophy fish that you are going to let him go, it becomes a lot easier to see through the excitment of the moment and follow through. Rather than being in total shock while holding the fish and having to decide then. Big fish seem to cloud the mind of the most sensible anglers. But, the same principle applies for fish you want to keep. If you decide before you go that you are going to let the big ones go and keep ones that are a good size for table fare, you wont feel the guilt of harvesting that big old walleye, but what you will feel is the incredible feeling of being part of that trophy fish's life as you watch him swim away. I say let them all go, but thats some place that we all have to get to by ourselves. In the case of lake trout, and other true trophy species, maybee this post will help to educate more of us to the value of catch and release when you are fishing for such old and magnificent creatures. p.s. leave the wipers in willard.
This is an intersting topic for me, I know we have a lot of catch and cook anglers on the site, as well as a lot of release artists. I would be interested to see the many opinions of the various anglers on the board on the topic of catch and release and what species we all feel should be released and why. There are many fish that dont reporduce, take a long time to grow, and are just rare, not to mention trophy size of any species. What do you all think?
[signature]
I love to eat fish, but release most of what I catch. In teaching people to fish, I always teach proper handling of the fish for release by example. The most important ones to release are the large females of any species. These bigger fish replentish the lake and pass on their big fish genes for the future, if they aren't sterilized. These bigger fish are also used to control the health of many waters.

It is a very rewarding feeling to see that old grandad/grandma fish swimming away heathly.

Most of the larger fish have been caught many times before, and wouldn't have been caught again if they weren't released
many times before.

We all have to make a personel choice on what we do with those big fish. Myself, I love those big ones and want them to be caught by someone again, especially me or someone I take out.

Its ok to keep fish, just keep the smaller ones and only keep what you are going to eat fresh. The smaller ones taste alot better. Once they get frozen they are just thrown out around hunting time to make room for other meat. Good Fishing!
I too practice catch and release unless the fish is injured or the species is in abundance and smaller sized. But only enough for dinner that night, save the rest for another day of fun!
[signature]

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL.
[signature]
We tread dangerous ground when we all try to come together. I do not want to see this site turn into a fight. We all have to realize we have differnet opinons, personalities, and desires. We can come togehter on issues such as the battle against peta, so I feel we can come toghether on difficult issues such as catch and release. We all just have that species that is dear to us. Did you release the tri-cycle? Now thats funny! BLM is just feeling a bit responsible for the harvest of that fish and he doesnt harvest fish like that. I personally know bolth of these guys and bolth are top notch. They bolth understand there is value in the managment through harvest as well as the value of catch and release. So, we can turn this post into a topic on the advantages of bolth catch and release and harvest rather than a pick on BLM or Old coot. Thanks.
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Predator, I must say, you are the ultimate moderator. You try and keep things on an even keel and usually are the words of reason and sensibility when it comes down to the bottom line. I appreciate the fine job that you do keeping over excitable zealots, like many of us in check.

First of all, I want who ever has read this thread, that I have personally apologized to Old Coot for any of the snippy or darogatory remarks I made. Again, Old Coot, I apologize to you and members of your family for any remarks that were of a personal offensive nature.

Second, I do not believe "the purity of this forum has been forever tainted by BLM's little hissy fit". Is there anyone here who hasn't got fired up about something they are passoniate about? I Readily admit, I got fired up but I believe, like Predator, that this is a worthy subject to be discussed. I just did it in the wrong manner.

Thirdly, I believe Mr. Nielsen's, our Bear Lake biologist, evaluation of the current condition of Bear Lake is debatable. I do not see the DWR managing Bear Lake as a trophy trout fishery. They manage to keep the average citizen happy when they go out twice a year and catch a limit of pan size fish to take home. It used to be a fairly common occurence to catch 12+ pound cutthroat from Bear Lake. The same holds true with large lake trout. These trout are getting harder and harder to come by. Why? The harvest rate exceeds the rate of replenishment. It is that simple.

I, as others have alluded to, am not a catch and release purist. I am, however, of the same opinion as stated in another post. "Its ok to keep fish, just keep the smaller ones and only keep what you are going to eat fresh. The smaller ones taste alot better". Why? It's simple math. With the continual harvesting of the large fish it is inevitable that the stocking can not keep pace at the slow growth rates of Bear Lake fish. Young fish are are lot easier to replace with stocking when only a couple of years are invested into those fish. How easily is it to regain 20+ years?

Fourth and finally, I believe that I am not the only person in this thread who has gotten carried away with their posting. There are people here whom I have never met that believe they know who and what I'm about and are so eager to pass judgement. For some one who lives such a long way away, you must be very intuitive to be able to judge how someone is never having met them. I am truely sorry if I have come across as being the person you have describe and I am glad you you have decided to champion this cause and let me see the error of my ways. Please Don't hate me because I'm beautiful![Tongue]

To all my friends here at BFT, tight lines. I welcome your opinions on this very emotional subject and respect you for whatever your views or decisions are concerning it.
[/size][/font]
[signature]
well heres my two cents,

for catch and release is all i practice. not for purist reasons not for talking about later. simply because i dont like to eat fish really. if i was starving well then i have a skill that will help feed me. otherwise i let things go. i enjoy it because, i would like to think, that fish will live and grow larger. that is debatable but at least im doing my best to support that. as for people keeping fish that is normal and expected. i dont agree with larger fish being kept to show other people. to eat maybe but not usually a good meal which has been mentioned also.

i think the biggest factor in this topic is knowing your waters and specieis your fishing. if you have never been well learn about it before you go. im sure no one gos to a water very often without figuring out a few things about it first. if your fishing a water that is lets say a rainbow trout fishery and you happen to catch like a 3lbs cutt. it really doenst make sense to keep it. its rare and a major breeder, obviously, because not many are around. if people would practice what predator mentioned earlier. which is knowing before you go what you going to do. i think that would eliminate alot of the reckless keeping habits. i have been so steaming mad at fisherman for keeping certain things in certain scenarios. to a point of fist fights almost. but all we can do is educate obviously. and hopefully it pushes someone in a helpful direction.

dont keep what you wont eat. please dont take a big fish home just to show john next door. and if the water is in trouble try not to keep your limit everyday. common sense practice. a controversial topic is the provo river. i say keep all the fish around 15 in or so within your limit. that river is in trouble because of over population. the green is the same scenario. lees ferry the same. some waters need help some dont and need to be left alone or helped by not keeping alot or none at all. common sense, and education will create a better experience for everyone.
[signature]
wow go away for a few days and all heck breaks loose[Smile]

But here's my 2 cents even though I missed some interesting post apperently. First to all who come here and post. I have enjoyed and learned a lot and I thank eveyone of you. Since I really don't know what the hopla is all about I can't commentt.

Now on catch N release, I practice it. Seldom keep more than one fish and seldom take pictures. I love the sport and usually let the large ones go. I have to admit keeping one from time to time. Not for bragging rights (well maybe a little) but mostly because I know that when certain fish reach a certain size they are done. I fish the Berry mostly and there are truly some nice fish there I've had 9 and 11 pounds cuts this year. They are there for another to catch, because they still have some good growing left. I let a 12 inch rainbow go because there aren't many this year. And have brought home more than a few in the 2 to 3 pound range (avg cutts for the Berry).

I'm currently learning Deer Creek and I can not ccount the numbe of fish I have let go. But I have kept more than a few under 12 inch smallies, but have released all the walleyes I have caught. That may change now that I have a float tube, Thanks TD I had a great time out in it yesterday. I like to fish and there are only certain fish I like to eat. Bass and Cod being my favorite, so I let most everything else go. FB2 cringes when I let a carp return to his home. But why kill it, it is really a benificial fish to the fishery.

Like I said I don't know what happened, but I do know I like all you folks over here. BLM, Old Coot, Tube Dude, TeRoy, to name just a few. We all have our own opionions right wrong or indifferent. I'm sure glad I live where I can express them and have a fourm like this to do it in. Just my 2 cents

FISH ON DUDES AND DUDETTS
[signature]
I have to admit that I too will take a few fish home or to camp to eat for that particuliar day, but I do practice catch & release most of the time. I think that if i can catch a hugh fish today and have fun bringing it in, then there is no reason why I should'nt be able to do it again maybe on the same fish.

I have done my best to teach my children that they can fish all they want and to enjoy doing it, but to use sound judgement on what to keep and how many is needed for that meal. I am proud to say that they learned very well.

I know that no one is perfect, but I think we all would keep one if it was big enough. Bragging rights or whatever.

I don't know all of you very well but I like to think of all of you as good friends willing to help out a friend in need of information about fishing and you have done just that . Regardless of whats going on you guys are the best.

AFDan52
[signature]
[Smile]I have to agree with Mack. Having invested many enjoyable hours figuring out how to catch trophy Macks at the Gorge and Bear Lake, I get a little protective of the resource I have worked so hard to get to know. I agree that for some, table fare is why they fish. Keep the little ones and release those trophy fish for another day. the growth rate of these fish is about a pound per year. I hate to see it all end in an instant. Keep the "put-and-take" rainbows for dinner. Protect this great resource.

Hookem' Pretty!

GoFish
[signature]

[Smile]What a wonderful topic!!
No right or wrong answer.I personally have not kept a fish this year and don't believe there are too many times a fish should be taken.I have many reasons but this page is not long enough. I will never put another person down for keeping fish,it's their right to keep a limit.
[signature]
Sorry to have to post again on this subject, but this is starting to sound like an A. A. meeting for closet fish eaters. Hee hee. Now, there is nothing wrong with keeping fish. That is as long as you eat them and dont feed them to the cat. In fact, there are many times when keeping fish is a very important managment tool. In the instance of willard bay last year, a bad year for the shad meant the food source was in trouble. Same deal at starvation. Now if not managed properly, we can see the same situations as yuba and lake powell arise. However, in the case of the strawberry cutt the effective tool is to reduce harvest. The question comes in when you deal in fish such as lake trout, tiger musky, and any other fish that is in a situation where it seems that it wouldnt hurt or help. Its just kind of an option. Also in smaller lakes that recieve a lot of pressure. HFT made a good point that we should all recognize, as a liscensed angler, you have the right to keep any legal fish, if you desire. Perhaps the best philosophy is "to each his own". I would like to echo what many have already said, we have a great site here, what a cool thing it is that we can come together and discuss such topics. I have made many friends through this site. I love this place!
I don't blindly practice C&R. Instead, I think we anglers can be the DWR's strongest, most effective management tool. As Pred said, many lakes need certain species and/or sizes of fish thinned. Deer Creek is overrun with small SMB. We can help the lake produce bigger SMB by harvesting those under 12". Or we can help save the overpopulated Starvation walleyes by catching and keeping our limits. Likewise, perch have stunted at Pineview and need thinning. But perch need to be left alone at Yuba to reestablish their population and the walleyes (which needed thinning a couple of years ago). Wayne Gustaveson at Lake Powell has struggled to get anglers to start keeping fish, both stripers and SMB. And the lake is starting to benefit from it.

So I feel the decision to kill or release a fish should be based on what that particular body of water needs. If you read In-Fisherman, they call it selective harvest. It requires a little more work to educate yourself to each body of water. But the fisheries biologists make themselves accessible and are willing to help educate dummies like me. And the end result is better fishing for all of us: fish for the table and trophies for the wall.

As for whether to keep or release a trophy, there's no shame in keeping a once-in-a-lifetime fish. But for the most part, I release the big walleyes, lake trout, etc. Even, as the biologist stated, if it might not grow much more, I or other anglers might get to catch it again. And to me, that’s why I fish—to hopefully catch a few big boys (or girls).

As for BLM's equation, you left out the fact that Bear Lake is an oligotrophic water, which is a contributing factor to the growth potential of the fish and total lake biomass. Also, there’s how each water is managed. I would like to see Strawberry managed as a trophy fishery, but the DWR manages it as a family fishery.
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I couldn't agree with you more, Dennis. You have expressed some very good points.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]You're also exactly right about Bear Lake being an [font "Verdana"][size 1][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]oligotrophic lake and how low levels of nutrients in the lake are a direct influence upon the growth rates of it fish( or biomass). I probably should of mentioned that but I didn't want to complicate things even more. That's a big reason you'll never see fish as large as the lakers in Flaming Gorge. Unlike Flaming Gorge which has a lot of sources for incoming nutrients, Bear Lake has actually none! I am no expert about this but RipNlips and I have talked about it quite a bit. RipNlips has a degree in biology and understands it very well and has explained it at a layman's level so even this nimrod understood it.[/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font]
[signature]
OK, here goes my 2 cents

So, who has my change?????[laugh][laugh]

It's all about personal preference. Some times I eat them and sometimes I don't.[Smile]
[signature]