Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishin' with the Hooked Man!
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]"Hooked" up with James today and headed over to the Bear to fish the mack spawn. We got there before first light and headed out for the rock pile in the darkness. When we reached the rock pile I was surprise to see the pile cover with buoys from the USU guys MGB towed in. I was lucky I didn't run over them in the dark and wrap one up in the prop.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We fish till about 1:00 pm before heading out. We got a hook in one 10 lb fish and missed several more. James did manage to hook an old anchor rope. We tried like heck to break it loose but no dice. It's still on the bottom. James had a tough time getting a hook in those spawning macks and I think he wants a rematch to see just who is the "Hooked" Man of BL! LOL![/size][/black][/font]
[center] [inline BL_1.JPG][/center] [center] [/center] [center][inline BL_2.JPG][/center]
[signature]
Nice mac BLM! Wish we would of hooked up with one that size. What depth did you catch it in?

Them U.S.U boys turned the rock pile into an obstacle coarse yesterday. Me and FishingPro hooked into one of their ropes while jigging on the bottom and a troller hooked into one also and I think they kept it.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]That fish was caught in 38 ft of water. She dropped eggs when we caught her. Man, the fishin' is tough though.you spend a lot of time for the few fish you catch right now. James got a kick out of those macks smacking the surface. We had one come up right next to the boat and splashed him![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Sweet Day! That rope gave me a hellof fight! Next time I will show those macks whos boss. Thanks for the time out on the boat BLM. I really enjoyed watching that big fish swimming in that clear water as the fight was on. How Cool!
[signature]
bummer you didnt get moore i thought you would kick some tail. jim told me on our trip that the spawn is tuff fishing at the gorge. lakers must be lakers in any water i guess. your going up in december right? he told us the big fish turn back on then not a ton of bites but mostley bigger fish. i wonder if your pond is the same. hey whats the biggest laker you have seen come out of bear lake? also you said one came up to surface, is that to break up row so they can drop? thanx man moore sets next trip.
[signature]
really the only way to get the mac on the spawn is to spoon them .bad thing being that 90%are gut hooked. i have played that game and it's fun as heck but it's Sad to see what people think is ok.i will wait till the end of nov and go get them in the lip's. and after the spawn fishing is killer the pig's are ready to go and fill back up .with all the hunting this year i havent even dunked the old boat in the pond since aug oh well it's been a great hunt so far.but the fishing bug is starting to get me again so i was thinking i may drag the old man macminer over to the bear and give it a shot this week some time if i can get skunt to show me around.but all that said the spawn is not the best time to fish for mac unless you have some great big snag hook's.but i would be trying more for the cut's than the mac i can catch mac eny time and not have to snag good fishing to all fishley eny info on bear lake i will trade some gorge info just pm me later......................[angelic] tube's rule
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The spawn is tough fishing! They burn my butt all the time! LOL! Those fish hit so quick and so hard, it's hard to get a hook in them! If you are not right on top of them, you might as well forget it! Like I said before, I suck![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I'm headed over to the Gorge the weekend before Christmas. We'll be spending two days with Jim. I'm really looking forward to it. I hope we get on a few fish but I really want to learn a few more tricks. Maybe it'll give me a better shot at those macks! [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The lake record for Bear Lake is around 31 lbs. The biggest fish I've seen from Bear Lake is hanging on a guy's wall in Hyrum. His son caught the fish. It was either 22 or 23 pounds. It is a nice fish. I've seen the mount and the taxidermist didn't get the BL coloration correct. It's way too dark, more like a Gorge mack but it still looked pretty good. The guy said he sent copies of the pictures of the fish, which are hanging on the wall next to the mount, to the taxidermist to match the more silver color. By BL standards that is a really nice fish. If you catch a fish over 16-17 lbs, you're doing dang good.[/size][/black][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]BLFG can answer the question about mack hitting the surface better than I can. I've heard what you've heard. It's to break up the roe sacks for spawning.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Nice to see you out there doing some research for all of us
[signature]
Any time you would like to go out and catch rope, I will hook you up with location,hook size,depth and Motor control. As long as the Wind is at the right speed and the light levels are perfect. I can get you hooked up. Just call me "Rope Commander". This research trip was very valuable in locating the best rope collection site. First we will start of snaging the ropes with the cheater " USU buoys" on them. Then we will move to the more difficult,hidden down deep anchor ropes.
[signature]
That 31 lber was caught in the 1930s. I have fished bear lake for many years both jigging at first then trolling mostly the last 8 years and the largest I have caught have been 2 between 19 and 19 1/2. I still have not broke the 20 lb barrier.[Sad] The largest cut I have caught was 10 1/2 boy I wanted to mount that one but it had all its fins and I didn't have the guts to cheat and keep it. I just hope the lake level keeps rising I've been through several cycles of up and down lake levels and when its full the fishing is better.

Bodine
[signature]