Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Report 11-1-05
[size 1]fished bear lake today with BLM, launched the boat about 7am forcast called for wind but we thought we would give it a try anyway, headed straight for the "old" rockpile found fish bunched up just like they where last friday on the edges fishing was slow about 9:30 i was able to hookup with a good mack and get him in the boat 9lb. took some pictures and send him back to the deep about 30 min later i hooked up on what i thought was a smaller mack 4ft off the bottom got it to the boat and found i had caught a sucker wasn't all bad guess we have bait now. all the fish had lock jaw and would only give us a little bump and if we weren't paying attention we would miss them, wind started to pick up about 11am so we ancored up and tryed for some cutts Blm was able to bring 1 cutt to the boat and i never even got a strike, wind died down about an hour later and we hit the pile again hopping to knock down somemore macks but with no luck wind again picked up so we headed for the marina ancored just out side and tried for cutts again. wind didnt look like it was going to let up so we decided to call it a day about 3:00pm. not a bad day. and good company [/size]
[inline "l[[l[l[.jpg"]
[inline jjjj.jpg]
[signature]
Fishing is fishing my friend! Sounds like a fun day.

Thanks for posting here, now I can reply to your report!

I have been introduced to a whole new world of fishing bear lake, (thanks Jeff) bodine11 has taken me under his wing and has shown me a few tricks about trolling VS jigging. I think that I need to get my boat fixed up and put in some time with the riggers and sharpen my skills. Bear Lake is a tuff pond and she will really keep you guessing.

My goal is to get my kid into a Mack at least 10 LBS so he can gloat and slam his Dad a little! My best is 13 LBS but I hope to break that before the new year.
[signature]
Thanks Pat. I still believe that with anything it takes practice, practice, practice. Plus I got tired of the smell the cut up cisco left in the boat when I used to jig.[Wink]

Bodine
[signature]
Yeah, practice practice practice! I have many years of learning to go! But it will be a fun trip!

What I need to do is pay off some friggen bills and get a real boat once and for all. That would make practice much easier! LOL

Oh well at least I have my beer to help me thru the 7th boat restore on my way to the boat I want.

Look out salsa crew my 12 year old will be behind the down rigger on the 19th and ready to rock! I hope he at least gets to hook a fish bigger than the pups he catches from shore with Dad.

Thanks Jeff!
[signature]
Don't give all of your secrets away. I can just hear it in a couple of years. You'll be complaning about all the people fishing your favorite spots and using your favorite lures[crazy]
[signature]
I picked up a couple Scott downriggers for the JoyRide a few weeks ago but haven't made the time to install them. I now have incentive. A friend picked up a 23 lb.er over the holiday trolling.
[signature]
The fella that caught the Mack is an older guy and is going to have the fish stuffed and put it on his wall in what his wife calls the "dead animal" room where he has all his hunting and fishing trophies. I know he took pix and I'll try to get one to get it scanned and post it.

I believe someone on this board posted a pic of a 21 pounder ? earlier. I'll do a search and see if I can find it.
[signature]
I don't know how to make a link to a post but here is the location ....

Oct. 22 Thread started by Old Coot ... post by Idaho Native.

Do a search in Utah/ General Discussion/Last 3 months/ for key words Soda Springs.
[signature]
Yes it was my friends from Soda Springs that caught the Mac. It was 21 pounds. I am not sure what was done with it. I will have to call and find out. Interesting to see that another big one has come from the lake.
[signature]
I have not caught a fish over 20 lbs in 18 years of fishing Bear lake. I have caught three over 19 lbs but not over 20. The thing with me is I have a very good set of digital scales and checked them against calibrated scales. I also would like to see a picture of this fish. Sometimes it seems that some peoples judgements very greatly. [blush]
Most of the fish I have caught over 16 lbs (and there have been quit a few) I would have sworn they were over 20 lbs but not so. I have seen alot of pictures where people claim 20 or better and I'd bet that they weren't even close. Just my opinion but you know what they say about fisher man and fishing storys.[sly]

Bodine
[signature]
I'm sorry I forgot all about asking Denny for a pic of his fish. Maybe you know him bodine11 ... Denny Burdick in Montpelier. His wife Gay was secretary at AJ Winters for a long time. Give him a call and you can go see it in person. I'm sure he would like to show it off!
[signature]
That would be great and I'm glad for him. It would be nice to think that there are a few bigger than 20 lbs in the lake. I hate to see these big fish kept but it would be hard not to have it mounted. Hey joyride let me tell you a little story:

About 10 years ago I was fishing alone off of north eden point when all of the sudden I seen a small aluminum boat coming towards me and an old guy waving his arms. I thought he might be in trouble so I reeled in and waited for him. He pulled up and said do you have any scales I have a fish here over 20 lbs and I need it weight. I replied that I did, I had a set of digital and a set of spring scales. I took the fish which was a mack and weighed it on my digitals it weighed 13 Lbs 6 oz. He said my scales were wrong and try the other ones I did it showed 13 lbs 2 oz. After this he said give me the damn fish back your scales are all screwed up. I gave him the fish back and he took off real upset. So as I say you can see why I am sceptical. If it is real then great and he has my congrats.

Bodine
[signature]
I understand your skepticism. I'm not the one that weighed the fish. This fella is quite a sportsman and I'd be willing to wager that he has fished the Bear as long or longer than you have. That's why I thought you might know him. Give him a call and check it out for yourself.
[signature]