Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly tying
I am new to fly tying so I have a lot of questions. I was given some duck and other kinds of bird wings to use the feathers for tying flys but I'm concerned about the skin and muscle tissue rotting and smelling. What am I suppose to do to preserve what little tissue there is?
[cool][#0000ff]Go to the laundry section of the market and buy a cheap box of plain old borax. Put the wings in the bottom of a box and cover them with the borax for a week or so. It sucks out all the moisture and also preserves the remaining flesh. The borax comes right off the feathers and does them no harm.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good idea to store them in a container with mothballs to keep little beetles from getting in and chewing on them later.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Fly Tying is a huge Part of Fly fishing. Any questions you Have about Tying are welcome on the BFT Utah fly fishing Board also.
As usual T.D. is right on the money!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey James, I didn't see a formal announcement, but it looks like they picked the right guy for the job...at least he knows how to pick boogers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let me know if there is anything I can do to assist ya.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks T.D.
It should be fun.
[signature]
Borax is the ticket. I use a TON of it while doing taxidermy on birds. It works like a charm, and is cheap. There are other products you can buy from a taxidermy supply house, however none work any better than the borax.
[signature]