Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help for beginner
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]I was just wondering if you guys could tell me what types of knots and stuff to use.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Knots are a personal thing. I like a nail knot to put my fly line and tapered leader together. I then swear by a blood knot to tie my tapered leader to my tipit. I also use a blood knot to add more tipit to rebuild my tapered leader when it gets short. My tapered leader lasts a long time if I rebuild it. To tie my fly to my tipit, I use a knot that I can only describe as a hangmans knot. It is a slip knot where the tipit is put through the eye of the hook and then forming a loop I wrap the line several times and then thread the end of the line through the loop. Pull on the line and it slips down to the eye of the hook and then cut off the excess line.
The blood knot takes some practice so use a surgeon's knot in place of the blood knot until you learn how to tie it.
A surgeon's knot is just two half hitches tied together.
Stop into any good fly shop and they will be happy to help you with the knots. Like James said, if they don't want to help you then they don't want your business.
[signature]
The 2 main knots I use is a double surgon knot for tying 2 pieces of mono of similar diameter and a clinch knot to tie flies on. I like bloods for heavy mono but it is too time consuming for tippet on the river. A double surgon loop is also a good one to know for dropper rigs and the loop at the top of your leader.

Stuff: rod,reel,backing,fly line,butt section,tapered leader,tippet,flys,waders, boots,strike indicator,sinkers,floatant,nippers,hook remover. After this stuff you can add more goodies as needed.
[signature]
I agree with the knots. I also use a double surgeons for attaching fluoro tippet to my leader. Never had a problem.
I also use a perfection knot on the end of my leader and fly line itself (butt section)
Put the to together in a loop to loop connection.
When fishing sinking lines in stillwater, 6' or more of fluoro with a perfection knot on the leader to join to the flyline.
Here's a link

[url "http://www.fishandfly.co.uk/knots/index.html#loops"]http://www.fishandfly.co.uk/knots/index.html#loops[/url]

EA
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]Thanks for the information guys. Now I just need to put it to good use, and practice those knots.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Kraizee Skot, I think every one is going to use at LEAST two knots. One to tie tippet to leader and one to tie a fly on.
I personally put a loop in the end of my fly line when I first buy it. I cut the end at an angle, fold it over to make a small loop, then I wrap it with thread several times (Like the wraps in a rod for the guides) Whip finish for a knot, dab of Zap-A-Gap and coat it with Knot Sense. That way I have already eliminated one knot in my line to get hung up in the guides. Leaders, I like the loop to loop for connecting them to fly line.
Connecting tippet to leader, I use the Surgeon's knot.
Tying a fly on I use one knot, Surgeon's loop. I thread the tippet thru the fly feeding enough tippet thru to make a loop, holding the tag and the tippet I make a loop big enough to put the fly thru. I feed the fly thru the loop twice, then carefully stick the eye of the fly in the middle of the loop, I tighten. The idea is to make a tiny loop at the eye of the hook so the fly has more movement. Clip the tag ready to go
I would suggest to by a good knot tying book at one of the fishing stores. They aren't that expensive.
Good luck and TIGHT LINES!
Fly Goddess
[signature]