Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
freindly reminder.....
Hey Guy's,

As I'm sure most here are aware, we're smack dab in the middle of the brown trout spawn.

I'd just like to remind (ask) everyone to be mindfull of the redds. For anyone not familiar with this term, it's a fancy word for "fish nest". They are easily identified. Just watch for areas of the bottom that appear to be cleaned up. The moss is swept away and the smaller gravel is "dug" into a nest.

When you're wading in a stream please don't step on or walk through these redds. The trout's eggs will be in the nests for several weeks before the fry hatch out. if you step on them you will literally be killing dozens, if not hundreds of trout.

Thanks for keeping it in mind as you enjoy the bounties of fall(winter) river fishing.

D-mack
[signature]
Good point!!
We have a term:"Over Wading Decease". It happens when a guy gets a pair of waders and feels the need to wade right in the middle of were he should be fishing or in this case in the middle of a fish nest. I had heard the number 1000's in one step. Man could that mess up your favorite fishing hole.
[signature]
stomp those redds. get rid of them baby fishies, and let the big ones get bigger[reply]
[signature]
[reply]
stomp those redds. get rid of them baby fishies, and let the big ones get bigger [reply]
[/reply]
In some waters in the fall, particularly the middle and lower Provo, thats not a bad idea.
[signature]
I don't believe what I am reading! What will the big fish have to eat if there are no little fish in the water? We all know as the fish get bigger their diet changes from insects being more prevalant to minnows being the main stay of their diet. Then you will have a river full of 8" trout,Wahoo!
[signature]
Well, what they don't eat are juvinille brown trout. The juvi's are pretty adept at avoiding predation. One key to large fish in a given body of water is limited reproduction. THe DWR says thats why we aren't seeing many large fish in the middle, and likely why large fish are on the decline on the lower. I'm not advocating intentional destrucion of redds, but I am pointing out how our good intentions can "love" a fishery to death.
[signature]