Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions on particular toons
Hi everyone:

Can any of you give me your opinion/advice on the following three pontoons I am considering? They are as follows:

Dave Scadden Skykomish Sunrise
Creek Company ODC 1018
TU Colorado

I am not a small person (six three, 255), so I definitely want one that will hold my weight and my gear, and keep me up out of the water, but other than that I have little idea about the pros and cons of each of these. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard, matey. Happy to provide whatever info we can, to help you make the best decision for your particular needs...and budget. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]First, you should probably wander over to the picture section of the board [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=130;"]LINK TO PICTURE BOARD[/url] if you haven't already been there. There are some threads there that will offer input and info on different models.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Your profile does not tell which part of the country you hail from, but here in Utah, where I live, Dave Scadden is not held in high regard. The consensus is that his equipment is overpriced, and it is sometimes difficult to get your equipment just the way you order it. The positive is that his craft are made for him by Aire Mfg, the company that makes the Outcast line. The quality is good.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The Creek Company has really been coming on strong in both pontoons and tubes. They have always had good quality and now they are offering a bigger lineup of models. They are also fairly and competitively priced for the quality and features they offer. I do not know any buyer of Creek craft that has been unhappy with their choice. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The Colorado is a popular toon. We have several of the Utah BFT members who have the Colorado and are happy with them. At one time there were some valve issues, but newer models seem to have eliminated that problem. This 'toon is usually available at special prices, unlike some of the other lines. If you shop online...or at Sam's Club...you can sometimes get a better price than MSLP.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]All of the models you are considering are rated at well above your weight...even if you add an electric motor and heavy battery. You did not mention the type of fishing you will be doing, or in what kind of water. Obviously, some things (like river running) might influence any specific recommendations.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am attaching the first draft of a chapter for my 2006 (hopefully) tubing and 'tooning book..."PONTOONERY". I am still editing it, but there should be some worthwhile stuff in there for you, especially if you are new to pontoons.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hey...you other guys are free to read it too. I would be interested in getting your feedback on potential changes or inclusions.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice read, TD. Can hardly wait for your book.[cool]

zonker
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks. I don't think you wanna wait for the movie. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the opinions TubeDude and Mr. Baird. I am in Washington state, and will primarily be using the toon to hit rivers and small lakes for Salmon, Steelhead, bass, and potentially tiger muskies. For anything that would require a hike I would still use my float tube, and for larger bodies of water I would still use my boat.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sounds like you've got it dialed in okay. Some folks think that it is all or nothing...tube or toon. I try to help with the idea that each has its place, and so does the boat. If you have the budget and the storage space, then there is no reason not to have all in your arsenal.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I might add that if you are planning on doing some river running, you might look harder at some of the Dave Scadden models, that offer the standing platform and lean bar. Those can make life easier when you are both trying to watch the water ahead or if you need better visibility and height for casting.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I fished for steelhead and salmon quite a few times from my float tube...mostly in northern California, and usually in "tidewater", where there was not much of a current. Once the winter storms start creating a heavy flow, my mother's son looks for kinder conditions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let us know what you decide upon, and give us a report of your likes and dislikes.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey kevinkay,

Welcome to the board !

I am one of the people that has a Scadden pontoon boat. You can see one of the iterations of my set-up on the "Picture" thread on this board here:

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=198735;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=198735;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread[/url]

It's not the one you are looking at, but it is a different model. I also know a couple of people that have the same one that I do - so, I have a fair idea about the functionality of it and the Scadden company. The pontoon you are investigating would be a good option if you want company while fishing as it can be a two person craft if so equipped. However, let me reiterate what TD mentioned - Scaddens are quite spendy(I sold my white water river raft to buy it) and the service although, adaquate, is slow ! The quality is superb - mostly because of the "Aire" corp. that makes the bladders and coverings. On my toon, the frame is very versatile(so far, I have used over half a dozen different configurations of it) - I'm not sure about the other Scadden pontoon you mentioned though. My toon is capable of a class 3 river(class 4 if you are white water experienced, carry little or no gear and are real gutsy). I bought mine because of the versatility - and at that time it was the only one that fit my criteria of river running - it also helped that I had aquaintances that let me test drive their's to verify it would fill the bill before hand.

If it's solo fishing that is you intention, or a budget that is your main concern, the other pontoons you've mentioned might be a better option.
[signature]
[#505000]When I did my toon shopping I looked really really close at the Creek Company ODC1018. I likey would have bought it if my budget had been a wee bit bigger. [/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]I like the 10 foot pontoons and the fact you can add a standing platform and lean bar. I'm not a big fan of the TU Colorado. I'll be honest and say the only reason I don't like it is I think it's a very UGLY craft. [/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]As far as your other option I'm not familiar with that model so I'll keep my mouth shut on it.[/#505000]
[signature]
Thanks Carp Punisher.

The Scadden model I am looking at has a standing platform and lean bar that slides out of the way, but it is a little pricy ($999). Here's a pick:

[Image: i318484hz03.jpg]
[signature]
I actually have a trout unlimited boat and a ODC the ODC is the low model boat but it is really made well and works just fine. That was my first boat so it was cheaper the 1018 is alot nicer. I love my TU boat it is better to keep it put together but I think it is that with all of them. The TU boat is great because it has alot of space on it alot of pockets and like it was said earlier the apron on it is awesome it has saved alot of things I have droped. Also my brother in law and father in law have the same boat and both of them weigh over 260 it holds up to 400 lbs. It is a great boat I really enjoy it.
[signature]
Welcome to the board
I also have a tu colorado, it is a good toon for lakes and ponds, but is rated for class I or less on rivers. In the manual it says SLOW rivers only.
Rodger
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Bro, where ya been? Did you ever get that Versa Vessel...and did you trick it out?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Gotta get a review and pics ya know.[/#0000ff]
[signature]

Hi Pat,been doing more fishing time than computer time.
I did get the versa vessel, the lake skiff model, what a sweet toon!!!!! Been using it most the summer and fall. All the things I learned from th TU Colorado and Fish Cat Cougar sure makes me apprciate the versa vessel. Its the best toon I've been on in the W----. I'll P.M. you to set up a time to bring it over.

Rodger
[signature]