Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
competetive flyfishing
I am new to this site and I am still trying to learn to navigate it. I am somewhate technoilliterate so I hope this ends up in the right spot if it ends up anywhere. I have been moitering and occassionally posting on UTOF and I made this same post there which has not generated much interest. I am curious to see if there is different mentality here. I used to watch flyfishing competitioin shows on OLN before they became obsessed with reality programs, hocky and the PBR. I am interested in your oppinions about competative flyfishing. Does competition make flyfishing less of an art form? Does it make it more of a sport? Does competition change your perspective of flyfishing? What do you think?
[signature]
I think we all fish for different and yet similar reasons so it just depends on what someone’s disposition is at the time. Most of my fly fishing is done solo and has nothing to do with competition but more of an enjoyment of the moments spent on the water. The few times I do fish with my dad and brother are pure competition; especially with my younger brother. There is nothing better than schooling him on his “own water”. I fish with an old high school buddy about once-a-month and we have some competition, but it’s mostly to enjoy some good times and save on gas money so the competitive spirit isn’t there as much. It just boils down to fishing is my hobby and what I do for fun and relaxation. If I had to do it for a living like some of those bass anglers, I think it would loose much of its appeal and I would have to find something else to do for fun. Just opinion of course.
[signature]
Do you mean like the Pro Bass Tour? I have never heard of comp fly fishing before. Interesting concept. How would you judge the catch? You don't carry a live well with you. I guess you could go by length of fish.
So who has ever heard of comp fly fishing?
[signature]
On the competitive flyfishing programs I have watched there is a judge that follows the teams and measures the length of the fish before release.
[signature]
Welcome abord Campfire!

Take it from me make your hobby your job and it takes the fun from it. I think making it a competition is the same as making it your job. You start looking at it from a whole different angle.
[signature]
I agree with HFT. I've watched a couple of those flyfishing competitions on OLN as well. They were all fishing some private ranch somewhere in Montana I think for trout. It seemed they were taking it way more seriously than I ever would given for me it's just a hobby that I love. Yes fishing is a big part of me, however make it a job and I think it would lose much of its appeal.
[signature]
Just a side note here. A couple of homegrown Utah boys, Lance Egan who used to work at Fish Tech and Ryan Barnes who was up at Western Rivers, both now at Cabelas, are members of the U S Flyfishing Team. Next time your at C's ask them about it.

EA
[signature]
Lance and Ryan, two fine talented flyfishers that represent Utah well. Good luck to both of them.
[signature]
L.E Tist has the rite name for a fly fisher. a bunch of eletist guys who think the world should go around them all the time, and all of the rules and regs should be for them. Comptitive flyfishing sounds as exciting ( and stoopid) as watching the cheerleading contests on espn.
[signature]
You nailed it Lips, congrats!
[signature]
wetlips, I like your name.
[signature]
Wetlips Just curious. Why do you have such a narrow view of fly fishing and fly fisherman? Or are you just trying to get our goat and start arguments?
[signature]
Watching competetive flyfishing on TV beats watching Basscenter.If they offer some tips during the broadcast all the better.Besides...the scenery on a trout fishing program is alot prettier than what you see during those bass tournaments.
[signature]
I think we all have a little competition in us. Being a woman , I do have a little more. However I love to share what works for me with others. I consider myself a very good fly tyer so when I come up with a pattern that works at several different places I love to turn others on to it.
As far as elitist, I don't feel I fit in that group. I just like fishing and if someone crowds me I ask them to please respect the first come first serve. I try to respect all fishing people.
Now as far as making a living at it, I say bring it on. I would love it! and as anything you do allot you get better at. I deffinitly could fish every day, and to get paid for it, wel [url "mailto:h@#$LL"]h@#$LL[/url] yah!
But most of all, I would like to help others as well as listen and watch to improve myself
Fly Goddess
[signature]
I must ask .... Why are you guys over here monitoring this board if you don't like fly fisherfolk?

I don't fly fish, unless it's with a bobber and six feet of leader, but I do enjoy the different techniques, knots etc.
[signature]