Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I figure I've been lurking long enough, time to join the group. Very interesting reading. Has anyone been to the Ogden river lately? The Weber below Echo is running very low but the fishing has been fun. Also thinking about a 2 day trip to the Green the Monday after Thanksgiving....any thoughts or tips would be appreciated as I have not fished the Green before.
[signature]
Welcome Flygirl!
Good to see you expand from the Weber to try new waters. The Ogden is doing fine,same glo bugs you are using,prince nymphs,red crotch crickets,hare's ears. The fish tend to hold up a little different on the Ogden,in places you would not expect, as on the Weber.

The Green is Always a worth while adventure,Soft hackle sows,Zebra midges, Yong special,Brassie.
[signature]
Thanks James for the info and for the welcome. I'm sure I will be in to pick up the neccessary supplies and info for my next outing. I appreciate all your help. Janet
[signature]
Welcome,

Glad to see the other gender in the mix. South Fork has been really strange this year during the spawn. I fished all my old haunts and caught nothing but whites. Still trying to find the browns. But when I do, try throwing a copper john-glo bug combo. Very deadly.

Katghoti
[signature]
Thank you for the welcome and the info. This flyfishing thing is turning into a nice little obsession. Any tips and hints are greatly appreciated.
[signature]
I usually fish the S. Fork, but lately have concentrated on the Weber during the spawn. For the weber, anything red has been great on both whites and browns. Lower in horseshoe canyon, try copper johns for a mixture of browns, rainbows, cutthroats, cuttbows, and whites. During non-spawn times, prince nymphs are great for both whites and browns as well as grey scuds. I am heading up to some private property between echo and rockport to do some fishing. My brother has spotted an 8 pounder we are going to try for.

For the lower ogden, try hare's ears and princes for planter bows and browns. Pheasant tail works as well. On south fork, I have tied my own fly that works great, but aside from that, try pheasant tail, copper john (really good), zebra midges, killer caddis and hare's ears.

As you can see I am not much of a top water person, so I can't vouch for top water flies. Maybe HFT can help us both out there.

Katghoti
[signature]
A parachute adams always works for me if there is a hatch on the ogden. My favorite to fish there is the Extended body mayfly. Here is a pic.
[signature]
Katghoti, I'm not much of a top water person myself, nymphing has worked well for me so far. Maybe this spring and summer I will be brave enough to try dry flies. You are absolutely right about the scuds. I've had great success with them this fall. Also the hare's ears have been deadly. I was up at Wanship the other day and they are letting water out of Rockport so the river was up and floating a bunch of debris. I hope you have a great time fishing with your brother and good luck with that 8 pounder!

flygirl
[signature]

Sorry, I don't know what happened, but, I was just saying that I like to stick to basics (haresear, pheasant tails, copper johns) However I have been fishing the middle lately and of all things doing real well on of all things a PURPLE emerger size 24. I fished the snake yesterday here in Idaho Falls and hooked 15 good size fish (1/2 browns and 1/2 white fish) all over 14" up to 18". But I fished a "Y" connection with tungsten: copper john - red and flash back pheasant tail in size 16. Strike indicatetor and 7' leader. no split shot. fished the seam and it was geat! Want to try one more time before heading back to S.L. but, it is snowing up here right know so gotta wait and see how bad it gets.
[signature]
Hey flygirl,

Welcome to the board !

What part of the Green are you planning on fishing ?
[signature]
Hey flygoddess,

Welcome to the board !

If you are reading this, you probably already know your prior post on this thread didn't come through.
[signature]
Fishhound
I don't have a clue as to which part of the Green to fish. I figure I'll make a plan as to when to go and then bug James to give me all the inside info. So far that plan has worked well for me. Thanks James[Smile]
Flygirl
[signature]
"Y" connection? I'm up for learning something new?
[signature]
I will try to explain this as best I can. When you tie tippet to your leader using a surgeon's knot (lay the tippet on top of the leader end, make a loop and pass tag end of leader and tippet material through loop twice, or three times then tighten) make the tippet material longer at both ends and only clip the leader material. you should end up with two ends to tie flies on if I explained it right. I always make them different lengths so they don't get tangled (one about 12"-18" and one 8"-10". I have always done this cause I don't think that the fly floats natural tying droppers off the bend or the eye of the main fly although I have caught fish doing both. My numbers in still water and lately rivers useing the "Y" have increased. I also use a surgeon's loop to tie my flies on (put tippet through eye of fly, make a loop in front of fly then pass the fly through the loop twice. I then stick the eye of the fly into the middle of the loop and begin to tighten. that way the knot is real close to the fly. It gives the fly more movement plus I can use heavier tippet on smaller flies) I can use 6X on size 30's & 32's using this knot.
[signature]
Very interesting rigging,kind of what I pictured in my head as I read your post. so you put the sinkers at the top of the "y"?

I am going to give that rig a try. I might change to tying a big double surgeon loop then cut it. do you think that would look the same? or is one of your tag ends hanging forward?
[signature]
Flygoddess,
The "Y" connection sounds intreguing but if I am understand the technique right it would be difficult to have a different size tipet on each fly as I usually do tying to the bend of the first fly.
[signature]
Yes, when I use split shot I attach it just above the knot. As far as the loop knot to connect the fly, I try to get it as small and as close to the fly as I can. Again I am not sure what the knot does in the water, so I try to make it part of the fly but still get that hinge effect.
Campfire, I do use the same size tippet. River fishing I use 6X or 4 pound and with the loop knot it works on any fly I am using. Lake fishing depends. At Henry's lake I use 6 pound Floro for the 28" and 32" Hybrids I caught. There I just by regular Floro, but be sure it's the real thing and not just coated.
But, you could use two different size tippet on the rig, instead of cutting the tag cut the tag but try to keep the one going the other direction. It helps keep it from tangling. You can check out the fish I have caught and I will try to add a pix of this rig to the site
[url "http://www.pbase.com/albot/root"]http://www.pbase.com/albot/root[/url]
p.s. I also play bass and sing in a rock-n-roll band
[signature]
Hey Ms. J, do you play any local gigs? Does Evil Ash play as well? I'd like to see your band sometime.
[signature]
Not to hijack the thread, but Dec. 9 & 10 at the Barbary Coast.
[signature]
As Evil Ash posted, we are at Barbary Coast next weekend. He is our sound man and plays a mean Harp on a couple. If you come to see us just tell them you are Joni's guest.
[signature]