Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Green River
About 3 yrs ago I was seeing a lot of fisherman heading over to the Green and bragging about how awsome the fishing was. Has the Green lost it. Is the fluctuation of water level devistated the fishing? will we ever see the Glory days of old?
[signature]
The green is over run with brown trout. that river deparetly needs some harvest of those guys. I also think that the NZMS has an effect. Not nearly as many scuds as in years past.

Yep, the Green is past its prime, maybe flushing flows wil help but more than anything, I think the river needs some harvest on the browns.
[signature]
What part of the Green are you talking about? I did not think that they did flushing flows out of Flaming George. The fish I caught there last spring where good size, if it was overpopulated I would have expected smaller fish.
[signature]
Section A was always the bragging place. Now the fluctuate the water on a daily basis
[signature]
Ten years ago it was unusual to catch browns above bridge rapid, now, they are all the way up to the dam, and have been for a while. The best fish, aside from the large picivorous browns, were the cut/bow hybrids. but those are pretty much a thing of the past. The Green has its moments, but its glory days are long gone. Perhaps with the new flow regime, things might get better.
[signature]
I agree. It gets tiresome catching 16"-19" undernourished browns that give AT MOST two halfass runs and then roll over and wait to be released. I'd rather catch 10" wild cuts in a small stream.
[signature]
James, another factor that I think has hurt the Green was when the road to Little Hole was paved. With the extra ramps and picnic areas, the river became over run with anglers. The big flows every spring has also changed the river. I have also seen a big decline in the scuds that used to gather in the millions around the shore line.
The great dry fly hatches of 10 years ago are long gone, also due to the changing water flows.
The stocking of catchable trout is also less these days.
The Green River that I used to love is gone. In its place there is a new river that supports large Brown Trout but few other trophy trout.
I will still fish the mighty Green River but it will be with much lower expectations than in the good old days.
[signature]
[reply]
I agree. It gets tiresome catching 16"-19" undernourished browns that give AT MOST two halfass runs and then roll over and wait to be released. I'd rather catch 10" wild cuts in a small stream. [/reply]

[/reply]
In spite of it all, I think you, Pancho Villla, and I need to get up to the Green sometime this winter. Preferably during a snowstorm to fish the midge hatches. Great dry-fly fishing without the summertime crowds!

You're right, though. No German Browns in the Green but plenty of French Browns - they surrender very quickly.

W2D
[signature]