Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice on Causey????
Anyone know if there is ice on Causey yet?
What about Birch Creek, or Woodruff?

Thanks.
[signature]
I was up at both Woodruff and B/C a week ago and both had skim ice. I'd bet their both solid now.

IFG
Causey is usually a mid-late december icer. The lake is very deep, and it takes longer to cool off.
[signature]
Where exactly it Woodruff? Is it Woodruff Narrows in Wyo or is it on the Utah side? I'll be in Evanston on Thur. Might get a chance to swing by. How are the roads in? 4x4 or Corolla?
[signature]
Chester,
It's kinda hard to find. Go north until you hit the "town" of Woodruff. Take a left on (I think it's SR 32) (it's the only left in Woodruff, just past the big brick house on the right). Go west on that a ways, when you get past the last peice of private property you'll see a gate that will be open. The road will be well traveled and surronded by private property, go up the road about 5 miles or so. you'll see the damm. 4WD is a must, the road is often frozen or muddy. Once you get near the damm it gets real steep on the right side and mistakes become expensive.
B/C on the other hand is near there and easy to find. There will be a sign (or used to be) that says public access fishing on your right (on SR 32 or whatever it is). Stay left and you'll see some outhouses, park at the bottom and climb the damm. If you hit the cattle guard you've gone about 1/2 mile too far. Don't, I repeat don't go right unless you have a bad ass rig. The back side into B/C is a bad ride. I've done it in my truck, with no snow and I will never do it again. OK maybe I will, but I have a really good truck.

IFG
Thanks, I'll give it a try if I can get away from the family obligations.
[signature]
I was by Causey the other day and no ice yet.
[signature]
Open water at B/C and fishing is slow. Same for Causey. I don't know about Woodruff.
[signature]
[cool]So my mom-in-law was telling me that when she was at Sunday School the other day that her teacher said that his dad dragged him out to Causey the day before to go fishin'. Sounds like he isn't much of a fisherman, but anyway she said that he said that when they got there the lake was WAY down due to some repairs being done on the dam or something else, but he'd NEVER seen it that low ever. He described it as pretty much a creek running through the reservoir area. Anyone know if that is true, or was the guy full of it? If it's true, this doesn't sound good for ice fishing this year (except that maybe the fish will be more concentrated if they don't die due to lack of oxygen).[unsure]
[signature]
i serously doubt that. causey is always low this time of year. i would put money on it that i could go up there right now and find 75ft of water
[signature]
O4T, I took a ride up to causey yesterday and the water seemed about the level it was last year at this time. It is low but I wouldn't call it a creek.
[signature]
[cool]Good. That makes me feel a little better. Hope you are right, 'cause I really wanna catch a koke through the ice this year, and causey is one of the best places to do it!
[signature]
I was up there all last week and it had plenty of water. Maybe he thought it was low because its so narrow?
[signature]
O4T - Kokes are fun at Causey! Generally 12 to 14", you just have to locate an area where they 'come through' in schools. They move in bunches, and if you catch one, it's usually get back down as quickly as possible and get another ... and another ...
I've had my fish finder go completely black, or red, depending on which one I'm using. It's amazing how many come through at one time. A friend has an Aqua-Vu, and we're going to try to get some video of a school this winter.
So come on ice at Causey!!!
[signature]
I'm still a newbee at ice fishihg. What do you use and how do you present it for kokes?
[signature]
The kokanee are kind of a waiting game. Causey has some pretty nice trout to offer, splake, cutts, and 'bows too. We fish in a couple of locations where we've had kokanee success in the past, and target the trout which are usually in the bottom half of the water column. When kokes come through, you'll know it by watching your fish finder. They're frequently in the upper half of the water column.
Last year we did best with anything small and white. But we've caught them on almost anything. I probably like Rat Finkees best, tipped with a wax worm, suspended about 14" below a flasher/spoon.
[signature]