Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gill netting?
How about it bear lake mack and bear lake fish guy. The last three times I've been out on Bear Lake there has been gill nets all around the Rock Pile. What is going on? How many fish are they going to kill?
Why?
How can we get this waste of our resource stopped?
I would be interested in trying to stop all the gill netting activities.

Thanks
ciscokid
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]Look over-sea and find a mercanary sniper![mad] I'll pitch in a little cash. First snaggers, now gill netters. [/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
The gill nets are a DWR study to get fish counts. If I recall it is the the sculpin they are trying to get a count on. The nets are a tool to better manage a fishery. The dwr does net samples at a lot of Utah waters.
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]Thanks for the info on the gill nets bigfishrule. I still think we should all pitch in and get a merc sniper for those snaggers![mad][/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
See how much you can come up with and call me in the morning .... I need a little target practice .. lol
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]I've got 20 bucks for gas and 3 boxes of ammo for my 7mm. Let's git'r dun![laugh][/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Hi, Ciscokid,[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]First of all, Welcome to the site. Glad to have you. Are you referring to the DWR's gill nets? I've been on a gill net study, as has many others on this board, and I endorse responsible practice of gillnetting for research purposes. The data collected by fisheries biologists helps them to evaluate the resource and determine what, if any, changes in management practices are needed to maintain the resources that you and I enjoy.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]As for the buoys that were on the rockpile this fall, as I understand it, and to qualify this, I'm just a fisherman like you, USU was doing research by gather spawn samples and also there was a gill net study. You really need to get out on a gillnet study. It's very interesting and most, if not all, fish are carefully release, unharmed, back into the lake after weight and length measurements are taken.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]When I went on the Bear Lake spring gillnet study, cutthroat were kept so organ specimens could be kept to check for diesease and parasites. The fisheries bologists are genuinely concerned in maintaining the health and numbers of the fish.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I hope that a few of the DWR guys will chime in here and help everyone here to better understand the practice of gillneting for research. Thanks for your concen for the fish of Bear Lake, ciscokid. Like you, I quite enjoy spending the day up there chasing fish.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Hey...speaking of Bear Lake...isn't that the home of the Utah sardine aka the cisco?

Since I don't get up to Bear Lake much...when is it cisco time? Any pointers on catching them?

BearLakeMac...and CiscoKid...do you go after them?

The pictures I've seen kind of remind me of the grunion runs on the coast of California...but there...you just wait on shore for the little buggers burrowing in the sand and you scoop them up when the tide goes out. Another thing...it's a little warmer at the time too.

Any recipes for them...I've heard they're good deep fried like french fries.

[signature]
Well I hear what your all saying about the dwr doing the test, but this fall all the netts say usu on them. Surley there is some other way and honestly what are they learning that they do not allready know.

yesterday we were out off cisco beach and sure enough there just had to be 3 more netts all from usu. I think they should have to be teamed with dwr in order to do it. something? They just seem to be out of control.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I'm sure that everything USU is doing is in conjunction with or with approval of the UDWR. I do know that there is going to be studies done during all spawns of all major species in Bear Lake this winter. That should include lake trout, both species of whitefish, and sculpin. I don't claim to know much about what they have planned or what the are doing but I support their efforts. You can be sure that whatever is going on is done to benefit the lake and it's inhabitants.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]If you have specifics questions that will help you understand why USU is doing what they are doing, You could probably call the fisheries biologists up there and get the scoop. Heck, I'm fairly sure BLFG could explain to you in as much detail as you are willing to listen to.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Enough of this, sounds like you were out on the lake. How was the fishing and how did you do? Latch on to anything worth mentioning?[/size][/font]
[signature]
The seagulls sure like those "carefully released" fish that are THROWN back in the water. I saw several mac floating last month.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]You're correct, mtnman. Unfortnately, there is a mortality rate when any fish is taken from its environment. No type of catch and release, whether it be gillnetting or angling has 100% survivial. Heck, just go out to the rockpile during the cisco run and see all the dead fish floating from anglers snagging their limits of cisco. How many time have you personally been involved where you caught a fish and tried to release it but even with all your best intentions, the fish would not go back down and bellied up? I'd say there is a fairly significant death rate taken from us anglers too.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Nothing's perfect here but I still beleive the UDWR and IF&G are committed to providing a health fishery so you and I can spend our time and enjoy angling opportunities on BL.[/size][/font]
[signature]
The point I was making is that the fish I saw gill netted were thrown over the side of the boat. That's not a carefull release in my book. I do believe in some of the studies they do but I dont like the release methods.
[signature]
I've had the pleasure of assisting in several DWR gill-net studies and have always witnessed the participants taking great care with the fish that were earmarked for release. The fish not earmarked for release were always filleted and either given away to the participants and any spectators or taken down to one of the shelters and given away there.

Since the USU up on the Bear would have to have permits and the approval of the DWR, I'm sure they would also be careful in releasing the fish. But I have not participated in a Univerisity study, although it might be interesting to do so.

If improper release methods were being used, perhaps a quick instruction by a fisherman as to the proper techniques of handling and releasing fish was in order. Everyone would benefit in the long run. Not everyone is a fisherman or knows the proper techinque of releasing the different species of fish.

In my opinion, to ensure that the fish are treated carefully and released in a proper manner, I'm sure volunteers and/or observers are welcomed even with the USU studies.

You would be surprised at what you can learn just watching the gill-netting process and the studies performed. I have never been dis-allowed to take pictures or ask questions.

As BearLakeMac stated, if you have any questions it would be best to either ask the DWR or the USU about their gill-net studies...and ask that their information and findings be posted on the BFT for everyone.

[signature]
Ciscokid,
I have been away from my computer for a few days, but thought I could shed some light on the markers you are seeing out on the "rockpile" and "Cisco Beach". What you are seeing is part of a doctoral study that a student from Utah State University is doing. They are not all gillnets. In fact, gillnets have only been set one time at the above locations this fall. The markers are connected to eggs traps and "rock boxes" so that he can determine the useage of different rocky areas by different species of fish. We know the lake trout spawn on the rockpile (as do cisco, whitefish and sculpin). After putting in the four new piles of rock just north of the marina, we need to justify the expense of this project by showing if the new piles are used to the same extent as the existing rocky areas. Also, we are measuring primary productivity on the rocks themselves. I assure you that the person working on the rockpile pile project are being monitored by UDWR and that if they are netting, then they are making all efforts to release fish alive (as BLM pointed out in his response). Not all fish will live, but the majority do and that is the best that can be done right now. But, as I said, the gillnetting portion of the study will be minimized to avoid any mortality that is not necessary. The markers on the rockpile, Cisco Beach, and the new rockpiles will be in place until ice up and then likely re-deployed next spring. The study will last two years, so please try to avoid snagging lines, etc. of the sampling gear out there. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me directly. [url "mailtoConfusedcotttolentino@utah.gov"]scotttolentino@utah.gov[/url]
Cheers..
[signature]