Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitefish are "ON" at Bear Lake (w/pic)
Ok Boys,
The whitefish are running at Bear Lake! I've been chomping at the bit wanting to get out, but I've been down with a knee operation and recovery. However, today I managed to hobble down into a friend's boat and we fished from exactly 9:30 am to 11:15 am. We fished off a rocky, shoreline area, as I wrote in the latest fishing report (see other post). I will not tell you exactly where, so you'll have to do your homework. We used 1/8oz. tube jigs on light rods with 6lb. line. We fished about 6-8 feet of water. Here is the result. 20 whitefish, 2 suckers and missed one nice cutthroat next to the boat.
[signature]
Thanks Scott. Caught some of those whitefish last year and they are a fun fish to catch.
[signature]
Sure sounds like a lot of fun! Glad you could finally make it out. I hope the knee behaved for you.
[signature]
Hey looks like the fish GODs, wher on your side that day.
[Wink]I sure missed your home baked bread and jam on the salsa party.
Hope to see ya there next year.
[signature]
What do you do with all those whities?
[signature]
THEM IS GOOD EATIN FISH!!!! BEAT THE HECK OUT OF TROUT.
[signature]
Can't resist the temptation .... I'll be on the lake after feeding the horses. Probably around 8 AM. I really don't expect much after my last two trips to the lake after the Mack. Skunked both times. Hopefully after this trip I can wipe the stink off the rod.
[signature]
How do you prepare them? I've heard whities are full of bones. Is ther a difference between lake whitefish and stream whitefish?

-Thanks
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]I've heard that they are really good smoked.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Oh, they still have bones but the flesh is great eating. Its firm, white flesh. I filleted the whites, cut the "Y" bones out and made white fish ceviche totadas with it. OUTSTANDING![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for the report. So how is that knee doing anyway. Give us an update on your range of motion![angelic]
[signature]
What do I do with them? These were smoked. Others I like to eat fresh fried in the pan with two eggs over easy (so does Fish1on). Others I bake with a cream sauce.

Do they taste good? Absolutely. Best tasting fish in the lake in my opinion.

Out of my limit of fish there are two left and we'll have them for lunch today!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]If you will order some "decent" weather conditions for next weekend (Dec. 10), I plan to try some tubin' for those wascals. I have a couple of new lines of jigs I want to introduce to them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope the knee is mending well. Don't overdo it and don't slip on the ice. Not good.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey Scott, do you know how long the whitefish bite will last ??
I've done pretty good ice fishing for them in the past at cissco beach using a gold 1\4 oz. kastmaster. looks like you guys had some fun the other day. I might have to get up there real soon.
thanks, later chuck
[signature]
The whitefish run should last until about mid December and then taper off by Christmas. Its just getting underway now. For the next two weeks the fishing should be hot.
[signature]