Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another "whitefish" kinda day!
Fished Bear Lake this morning. It was a balmy -6 degrees at 0800. Fished with a reporter from the Ogden Standard Examiner. His story will appear on 12/14/05 in the Ogden paper. Fishing was a little slower, but I would still say it is excellent. The water in front of the Utah State Park marina was off-color due to the blizzard that hit the area yesterday. This made fishing a little tougher since the whitefish could not see your jig as well. But all in all we did good. See picture. Average size was 17" with a couple fish almost 19". This is picture is only part of the catch. Even with deicers running they are starting to have a hard time keeping up. There were sheets of ice about 1/2" thick floating all over in the marina. We didn't have to break too much ice to get out on the lake, but a few more days like today and it might be a challenge.
[signature]
Oh please dont say the marina is freezing up!!! Its much too early. How I hope it warms up some. One of these days I am going to have to try fishing for the white fish. Thanks for the report
[signature]
I heard last year they were going to run more bubblers in the marina, is there any truth to this?

bodine
[signature]
I hope the marina stays open I too want to get the boat on the lake next week. I would like to take it up there Saturday but the ice on other lakes may be to tempting. I about have the enclosures on my boat finished I don’t think I’ll have it done until Friday or I would be up there.
[signature]
Another nice mess of fish! Thanks again for another update.
[signature]
They have two more deicers than they had last year, but with the cold weather and relatively shallow water in the marina it gets "super cooled" (less than 32 degrees) and then it will freeze really fast. I checked this morning and talked to Ol Coot who was launching. The conditions were about the same. Some slush/chunks of ice, but it is still open. I don't want it to freeze either, but Mother Nature will decide that for us.
[signature]
Nice looking catch Scott those are some huge whites. Are the red marks a result of them spawning? How about the discoloration? I've seen that color on trout after they have been dead for a while but never on whitefish.
[signature]
Good catch BLFG. Ice is on and I'm off fishing tommorow!!!!
Ice out of the hole and let the fishing begin!!!
[signature]