Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People line the shore to welcome back the trout
San Juan Capistrano has an annual celebration to welcome back the swallows each spring. Every year at Tempe Town Lake, they throw a party to "welcome back the trout" just in time for the Thanksgiving holiday. Tempe Mayor Hugh Hallman was there this year to assist youngsters helping to stock the lake, one net full of squirming trout at a time.

"We have a lot of great events here, but the Welcome Back the Trout Party has become my favorite celebration of the year. I really look forward to it. You can't beat the look on those kids' faces when they catch a fish," says Kristina Baxter, who arranges the annual event for the City of Tempe and the Rio Salado Project.
For Steve Frost, his son Shaun and four of his grandchildren, the trout party had different significance: it was their first family outing since Steve and his son both recently returned from the war zone in Iraq. Steve is a Seabee in the Navy Reserves. Shaun is in the Army National Guard. Steve has another son who may be going to Iraq soon.

"This is fantastic," Steve said, pointing to all the youngsters and adults lined up along the shoreline catching rainbow trout, including his grandchildren. "Half of these kids are from the city and never get out and experience something like this otherwise. Here, they can get out, experience the environment and learn how to fish. It's great."

Steve and his family weren't the only ones with something to Smile about. Even before the trout were stocked, Bonnie Griffin caught the first fish of the day - a largemouth bass. Her secret for fishing success? "Worms. I'm a traditionalist."

And the prize for catching the first fish? "Just knowing I did it," Bonnie said while releasing the small fish, so it can grow.
Not long after the 2,000 or so trout were stocked, lots of anglers began catching memories, including Rayan Simmons, who was visiting from PaSadena, Calif. At first, she didn't want to touch the squirming fish, but then she proudly held it up. "This is my first trout, ever," she said with a great Big Grin.

Lots of people catch their first fish at this unique fishery. This two-mile long lake, stretching along the Salt River bed within sight of Arizona State University and within walking distance of downtown Tempe, has become a popular fishery and water recreation area. The lake is stocked with trout every two weeks from mid-November through March each year, but it also has largemouth bass, crappie, sunfish, tilapia, carp and channel catfish.
[signature]