Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another question
I hear alot of guys talking about taking their float tubes out in the ocean and kicking out to kelp beds and having great days. Problem is I dont know exactly where to go to find these kelp beds. As a matter of fact I wouldnt even know where to start. I would be a little hesitant to just launch off some random beach and start kicking out hoping to run into a kelp bed. Are there any particular places people like to launch or do they just go off any local beach? I dont expect anyone to give up their honey hole or anything like that but I could use a point in the right direction. I live in Chino so I would like to try anywhere between Long Beach and Newport and maybe even a little farther on either side. I hope someone can help me out.

Matt
[signature]
[cool][font "Times New Roman"][size 3] Don't know what current conditions are like, but I can almost guarantee you won't find much worthwhile kelp off the primary beaches of Orange or LA counties. I used to live in Santa Barbara and had a hundred spots between Ventura and El Capitan Beach...up off the coast highway. You can see the doable kelp beds from the road in most cases. The area off Rincon Point was often very productive, for a variety of species. Also, from Goleta north there is a mix of rocks and sand that is easily fished from a tube.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]While the kelp dampens the surf, it is a good idea to see from which direction the swells are coming and try to find a point or cove that offers protection for launching and beaching. [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Just south of Newport is Corona Del Mar. There isn't much kelp there but there are some good rocks. And, there are often some nice halibut on the sand between shallow rocky reefs. Still further south you have Laguna Beach. Not recommended to launch off the popular swim beaches in the summer, but sometimes you can manage in the winter.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]All along the coast to San Diego there are rocks and occasional reachable kelp. The big calicos hit best when the water is moving, but that ain't the best time to be out there in your donut. It's a trade off.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I used to spend a lot of time both inside and outside the jetties at Newport. Good bay bass inside, along with small halibut. Big perch and opaleye around the rocks, with some occasional calicos and a big cabezone or two...if you can keep them out of the rocks. At the very end of the Newport side of the jetties there are sometimes some big schools of Catalina blue perch, which are a ball on light tackle. Also catch a few sheepshead on squid out there in the winter. In warmer water I have had good action on barries and bonito just off the end of the jetties. A few stray white seabass in the winter with an occasional junior sized black seabass.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Anybody got any currently good kelp beds they are willing to divulge? I'm stuck over here in Arizona and can only drool a lot thinking about it.[/size][/font]
[signature]

Hey there TubeDude,

During the last couple of years, colder costal ocean water tempertures have created a resurgence of kelp growth in and around the Los Angeles/South Bay areas. Not to say kelp is everywhere, but around Palo Verde, Point Fermin (really thick), and around the bend, not to mention breakwater areas, new growth is everywhere. I think that our WSB explosion experienced in the last two years is, in part, due to the recovery of the kelp beds. As we know, El Nino years were not good for kelp!

One point, I'm a newbie and although no coward, I would prefer to go out to the kelp beds (up to at least 50 yards wide [from the beach to open water]) with a buddy the first few times. I would hate to be caught in the kelp with freak swells, etc. so close to Palo Verde's very rocky shore, where kelp normally thrives best! Calicos and White Sea Bass rule the roost often in these areas.

If you drooled before, we ought to see drool marks on your next few posts! ha ha

JapanRon
a.k.a. tsurikichi
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Hey, J.R., "newbie" or not, you make an excellent point. It's always wise to have company, even in less dangerous environments. I have been a diver about as long as I have been a float tuber, and I learned a long time ago that the "buddy system" can save lives...or at least help minimize potentially hazardous situations.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I am fortunate to have a spouse (Tube Babe), that shares my affliction (float tubing). I would have a difficult time loading only one set of gear in the vehicle for a tube trip. Saves on having to scare up another partner, but can lead to other "togetherness" situations. That's another issue, for another forum...maybe even the Jerry Springer show.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]My point is that if you have someone else along, you are not only safer, but you can also double your chances of finding a pattern quicker...and locate fish better. We usually split up and start with prearranged different tactics, lures, etc. We take out our walkie talkies and keep up an ongoing dialogue on what we observe and what works or not. Once we "break the code" we both enjoy the action and the competition aspect kicks in.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]You know, I completely overlooked the Pt. Fermin/Redondo area. That used to always be good for a few fish out off the point, and some finicky flatties along the sand. During the annual "spring fling", when big halibut are in making little halibut...or munching on grunion...I caught some surprisingly large fish in pretty skinny water. In fact, I often hooked halibut while casting spoons and spinners for surf perch off the beach. That's what led me to move in with the tube and bounce some sexy looking plastics off their heads. It was awesome to see them blow up out of the sand and snarf a swimbait within a few feet of my feet. [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]If the kelp [/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]has grown back in, I am truly drooling. Making little whining noises too. Don't have a good pic or icon so you will just have to use your imagination. It ain't purty.[/size][/font]
[signature]