Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cisco run
A couple guys I know harvested two Macs out of Bear Lake to eat for their dinner last weekend. Although not gorged, they did have Cisco in their stomaches. Looks like Cisco are starting to come up from the depths and are getting ready to run. If I hear any predictions on when the peak of the run may be, or hear success reports, I'll add a post to this thread. If any of you hear news about the run, please do the same.

It doesn't appear that Doug Miller's scheduled his annual Cisco Disco yet. See [url "http://kutv.com/outdoors/"]http://kutv.com/outdoors/[/url]

Here's a great Cisco article from Feb 2002 [url "http://www2.state.id.us/fishgame/news/featurestories/cisco/curse.htm"]http://www2.state.id.us/fishgame/news/featurestories/cisco/curse.htm[/url]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]We've caught several fish this fall and winter that have regurgitated cisco once they reached the surface. You see that quite a bit. I really don't beleive that is a sign of the coming cisco run though.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Macs can have Cisco in their stomach at almost any given time of the year, however, I (and few other folks I know) believe the quantity and freshness of the Cisco in their stomach can be a true indicator of the upcoming run. There were several and they were fresh.

Of course I also know a guy that will not fish without his lucky fishin' hat. Everybody has their own unique beliefs.
[signature]
[size 1]" I (and few other folks I know) believe the quantity and freshness of the Cisco in their stomach can be a true indicator of the upcoming run."[/size]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]That a pretty vague statement, you got to admit.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]We see large schools of baitfish on our sonar year round, massive clouds that can take up the whole screen at times, right? Doesn't that mean that the possiblity to catch fish that are hunting and eating these schools exists about any time of year? If in November or March, say, a mack or a cutt goes on the hunt and devores 4 cisco and the next thing he tries to eat is my jig on a binge feeding spree and I open him up, check his belly, and find these four fish, I'm to believe there is an upcoming spawning run because of "the quantity and freshness of the Cisco in their stomach"? Help me, I'm having a hard time with the logic. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I know the spawn historically happens about January 20 and goes on for a few weeks. It's pretty easy to say "hey, I caught a mack full of ciscos today (January 7th) so the cisco run is near." but was the belly full of cisco the "true indicator" here? [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]If there truly is an indicator that can gauge an upcoming spawn's time, period of duration, or intensity I want to know how to read it as well as the next guy. Help me to understand this better, RNL because I'm lost right now. You need to fill in all the holes. You must have some background info you're not sharing. I'll talk to you tonight and we'll discuss this. I want to know more. Til then.....[/size][/font]
[signature]
Bud... It's a belief for heck sakes. I started this thread so we could all track the progress of the run, not to defend my belief. It's my belief, take it or leave it, and it looks like you're leavin' it, thats Ok. It's primarily based on what I've heard from the old timers that live up there and have fished there all their lives.
[signature]
Its obvious the two of you are neighbors. You guys crack me up.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Just asking.......Holy smokes! You don't need to get touchy about it! You act like my dog pooped on your lawn. Oh, it probably did! DOH! [sly] [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Put those skis away and let's go fishing. We'll check some fishies' bellies......[/size][/font]
[signature]