Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPS on Boat
Looking for some help with some questions for a GPS on a boat:
1) Is there a problem with a 200kHz trandsucer on the front and a 200kHz fish finder/GPS at the console (I heard there might be interference with both of the same frequency)?
2) Looking at some of the lower end models Lowarance LMS-480, Eagle FishElite 480 or 500. Some have internal and some external antennas. Can the internal model go through a bimini? How big is the external antanna?
3) Has anyone used either of these or other fixed GPS on the boat?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I used to run an Lowrance LMS350A GPS/sonar combo. I now run an LMS 4800 GPS and separate Lowrance sonar. I also run an addition Lowrance ans (3) 200KHz transducers on various locations on the boat. Heres my observations:[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font] [ul] [li][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]When running both sonar units at the same time, yes you will see interference. I usually have one finder go wacky on the depth readings. Say, its 75 ft the finder may say 286 ft or some screwball number. With this being said, I only run one at a time. You see the same interference with sonar in close proxcimity on the ice.[/size][/black][/font][/li] [li][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I've never used a GPS with an internal antenna except a hand held. Yes, it will go through a Bimini top. The external antenna is not large. About the size of a softball. Mine is mounted under my t-top and it seems to function perfectly.[/size][/black][/font][/li][/ul]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I prefer a GPS with full mapping capabilities. I also have the Navionics Western US mapping chip for my 480. The maps are much more detailed than the "standard" map on the stock Lowrance background. Lowrance also offers software, MapCreate, that allows you to creat your own custom maps. You need to have the memory reader and memory chip. You create the maps on your computer and transfer it to the memory chip for you GPS unit.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I agree with what BLM just said. Plan on running just one transducer at once to avoid interference. Go with Lowrance LMS units. I've used them since early 90's, and they're awesome. Like PC's, they just get better and better, and the prices are not going up for comparable features. The memory card and map card features are handy. If your unit crashes, you have your data on a SD or MMC card to plug into any other compatable unit. External GPS modules are not a problem. They can be permanently mounted, and also mount to any type of screw-on vhf antenna mount. Check out the RAM mounts for both the GPS and the module. [/size][/black]
[size 3]Jim[/size]
[size 3][url "http://www.fishflaminggorge.com"]www.fishflaminggorge.com[/url] [/size]
[signature]
I don't know too much about mounted GPS units since I only have a handheld. But I do know that two 200 Khz transducers in close proximity with interfere with each other. The higher power unit will fuzz the lower power unit screen. Don't know what happens if they are the same watts... My FF sonar and boat depth sounder both run at 200 KHz so I have to disable the boat depth sounder when I am fishing with the sonar and then when I am just out playing with the kids skiing and tubing I take the FF off the boat to prevent it from getting damaged and turn the depth sounder back on.
[signature]
Was Up Jim... I figured you to be in Florida by now.

I use a Garmin handheld GPS that never seems to interfere with my fishfinder.

But speaking of fishfinders... Since we seem to have caught you in a generous mood with your well guarded info. While you are sunbathing in the Keys and the rest of us are chasing the crumbs that you have left behind at the Gorge...

And just a side note for all of you who dont know Jim... He has probably forgotten more about catching monster Mac's than the rest of us know, Combined !!! As a matter of fact, some footage shot on his boat of me landing a hog became the highlight of a video I was asked to make, impressed the heck out of Mark Burnett, and very nearly landed me a spot on season 3 of "The Apprentice" (Thanks again Jim !!!)

Anyway, I was wondering if you might share with us (or just me in a PM Smile) the best settings for electronics.

I run a Lowrance X85, I belive the same as you, but I never see the kind of action on my screen that I witnessed fishing on your boat.

Granted, thats probably because I'm an idiot and in the wrong spot most of the time, But I dont seem to see the same kind of movements not only from the fish, but my jig either.

My unit, as most of the newer model do, has several diffrent modes, ie. Fastrack, 192khz, digital, and several others as well as some combinations of both. And a whole array of settings such as greyline, sensitivity, etc.

I've had it set just about every way/mode possible but havent really gained true confidence in any certain one.

I would much appreciate any input you, or any other fellow BFT members / jiggers (Am I allowed to say Jigger?) might share. I'm seeking proper settings for jigging by the way. (obviously)

By the way Jim, I'll drink a pina colada or a mai tai or some kind of islandy drink for you next time I'm freezing to death up at the big pond.

Thanks...

Josh
[signature]
Here's how I run my x-85, though it will work with other settings if transducer is working and mounted properly. These settings are for deeper water, 50-150 feet.

Sensitivity--Full blast. SCC--high. Depth Range--zoom in on a 50' column of water that includes the bottom. Grayline--6 to 9 percent. Supression--high. Chart Speed--high. (contrary to popular belief, this speed DOES give you instant readings, just like a flasher. There is NO DELAY!) Finally, NEVER run fish ID or any automatic setting. You control your sonar, don't let it do anything for itself. Its a 192khz transducer, so it runs on 192 khz. The digital setting simply gives you a digital depth reading in one corner, and that's ok, although the number is insignificant. The fish are where they are, in relation to the bottom. The number doesn't matter.

*The most common reason for weak signals on a sonar are improper transducer mounting, a dirty face on the transducer, and/or poor mounting angle. Be sure your transducer is pointed where you are fishing (straight down usually). Different loads in a smaller boat can change where it's shooting. Make everyone on the boat find a spot and stay there, with the boat level. Be sure the transducer is below the transom of the boat, and is not "weak." Transducers wear out or get dirty from road grime. Clean 'em with Dawn. If none of this works, try a new transducer. I replace mine every couple of years. If you can't see your jig, something is not right.

Josh: We need to go fishing again this summer! I was going to call you over the past couple of weeks, but fishing has not been up to our standards. Pretty tough out there on bigger fish.

I'll be hooked-up to a tarpon in 9 1/2 days, in my shorts, sandals, and a tee-shirt!!!

Jim
[url "http://www.fishflaminggorge.com"]www.fishflaminggorge.com[/url]
[signature]