Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cisco Disco
Jim and Darin at Pugstone's in Garden City indicate that the annual Cisco Disco will be on Jan 20th. Check out [url "http://www.anglerguide.com/affiliate/pugstones/"]http://www.anglerguide.com/affiliate/pugstones/[/url] for their Fishing Report.
[signature]
[Smile]What a great day to have the cisco disco. That is Martin Luther King Day. Kids are out school and I'm heading over early. If anyone needs a ride I could handle two more fisherman in my boat. We are heading over early in the morning for dip netting and also some rockpile action in the boat.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Just for informations sake, I looked at the cisco dipnets at Sportsman's and they cost $19.99. That's cheaper then other places I've seen them. So if anyone is looking for them, check out Sportsman's Warehouse. This was on Riverdale Road in Ogden.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Is there a big quality difference between the $19.99 ones and the more expensive ones?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Nope, no discernible difference in quality. The $19.99 nets were the same old nets they sell everywhere else; just a better price. They'll work great as long as you be careful and don't bend the handle. If you need one get it now. In two weeks they'll be as scarce as hen's teeth.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Thanks BLM, you have been a great help, maybe I will bump into you sometime during the run.
[signature]
What is this boat stuff? The only way I've ever done the cisco thing is through the ice. Why do you take a boat on the ice? I hear you can use waders to get them too. That would mean I would have to be near liquid ice don't it? No thanks that liquid stuff scares me unless it's mixed with Scotch.

IFG
Ive got some questions on the cisco. what do you do with them? Can you use a casting net to cacht them? Is it iced over where they run? And last of all where do they run. Thanks in advance guys.]

FB2
[signature]
Fishboy2, Most people use them for bait to catch the cutts and macks on Bear lake, but some people eat them. They run about the 18th of January whether it has frozen or not. I haven't chased the cysco yet, this will be my first year. From what I understand they are easier to catch when there is ice because you can get right above them and net them through the ice. I am not sure if you can cast net them. As far as the locations, check the post titles first time cysco runner last updated on Jan 9, there is a link to more information as well as some great info posted by RNL and BLM and others.
[signature]
You can only use a hand-held dipnet and the opening may not exceed 18 inches. WH2
[signature]
thanks guys talk to you all soon.

FB2
[signature]
just an FYI on them cisco's

thay are related to the trout family,

there are three species of ciscos that have gone extint in the late 1900's from lack of habitat due to the planting of non native fish.
[signature]
I had forgotten to mention they are often called lake hering
[signature]
Lake Trout are the only piscivores non-native fish of significance in Bear lake. They have not effected the Cisco population significantly. However, both the Idaho and Utah F&G are closely monitoring how the planting of Bonneville Cutthroat (Bear Lake subspecies) are effecting the predator prey balance. They are aware that planting Cutthroat in excess could strain the Cisco population. Idaho does have the Bonneville Cisco listed as sensitive. Nevertheless, an estimated 9 million Bonneville Cisco will migrate to the rocky shorelines to spawn within the next several weeks. They're doin' Ok for now. We'll see what the future holds.
[signature]