Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cisco! Who's going out?
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Just trying to get a clue on how many folks are going to BL in the next couple weekend to get their limits of Cisco.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Also, if you have never done it, try and make it to the "Cisco Disco" put on by BearLakeFishGuy and Jim Stone (and associates). They deep fry the cisco for all to eat. Last year was the first time for me to eat cisco and I'll tell you, I'm hooked. You really need to try it![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Who doesn't know how to catch cisco but wants to try it? We can get into some in-depth discussions regarding the methods used to catch these pretty little fish. Cisco, in their spawning colors, are Dark blue backs, golden sides and light under bellies. The biggest seem to go 9"-10" long. If you've never seen them its worth the trip up to Bear Lake and checking them out.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Again, who going for cisco? When?[/size][/font]
[signature]
I'll be out there sometime the end of this week or weekend .... most likely go during the week to miss the crowds. Unless you guys make it tempting enough to go on the weekend.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]So, Joyride, what's your preferred method of catching cisco? Dipnetting or jigging?[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2] I plan to be there Friday the 20th. I plan to do my cisco catching via net over on the east side around cisco beach. I kind of doubt that I will do it out of my boat this year. I plan to come home and vacuum pack them ASAP. I've got an extra net too if anyone would like to join me for the long trip for the short fish.

My experience is that the best cisco netting is over by about 7:30. I like to be on the beach, net in hand, around 6:00 - 6:15. So, I will be leaving my house no later than 4:00.

I have found that once you get into the them and you start getting a few in your net, it don't take but a few minutes to have your limit. Because of that, one of my favorite tips is to have 6 ea. quart size Ziploc freezer bags. Then, as you catch your cisco, put 5 in each bag. As soon as you have filled your 6 bags with 5 cisco in each, you've got your limit (30). It is VERRY easy to go WAY over your limit fast. The baggie trick helps you keep your count in check.

Another tip is to have a 3 or 5 gallon bucket or a cooler to keep your catch in. I put snow in the bottom, then the baggies with cisco in next and then more snow and ice on top of the cisco. That keeps them cold and fresh until I get them home to vacuum pack them.

Also, it is a hoot to watch kids and wives catch cisco. A fun event for all.

Anyone have a date for the cisco disco?[/font][/size]
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] My son and I are planning on being there. I need to get my own supply of bait this year. [/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] I have never been to the Cisco Disco and i'm not really sure what I need to bring other than my net and some waders. is there any other things that I should bring?[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Old Coot has the right idea. Bring some ziplocks and pack'em on ice or snow. Heck you may just want to keep your cooler open depending on the temperatures. Air temperatures can be a lot colder than snow and ice. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I also like to try and freeze them flat. So when they start to die and freeze, start laying them out flat (or gently forcing them flat) and they'll be ready to process when you get home. This makes them easier to store in the freezer. Also when you process them, try and keep them separated. It's easier to pull one out for use instead of trying to pry frozen cisco apart.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I need to get me a limit of Cisco this year. I hope they start running good before the 23rd because I won’t be able to get up there until the 30th.

When is the Cisco Disco going to be?
[signature]
[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"][black]I was just doing a little research from other year's cisco results. I see where last year, unlike other years for me, the cisco didn't start coming in to the shore area till about 8 or 9 in the morning. The only difference that I can think of is that the year before there was ice allowing the water to be calm. Last year ther was no (or very little) ice. I've still got much to learn about the habbits of these little critters. Here is a good link and some great pics of BLM and MGB doing the CD:

[/black][/font][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=181112#181112"][font "Comic Sans MS"][black]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...i?post=181112#181112[/black][/font][/url][/size]
[signature]
I'm not the one but, would some one list the ways to catch Cisco what jigs and what nets to use...
You know tell us dumes how and what to bring....

[signature]
I don't think I will make it out this year. I do have a net if anyone needs to borrow it.
[signature]
I wanna go!!!
[signature]
I PLAN ON BEING THERE FOR THE NEXT SEVERAL FRIDAYS AND SATURDAYS. AS A MATTER OF FACT, I JUST RETURNED FROM THERE. I REPORTED TO RIPPIN LIPS, BUT I DON'T SEE A POST, SO HERE IT IS.
THERE WERE 10 BOATS IN TIGHT PROXIMITY ON THE 'OLD' ROCK PILE SATURDAY. THE SEAGULLS WERE CIRCLING THE AREA IN GREAT NUMBERS. THE EAGLES (9) WERE STANDING AT WATERS EDGE TO SEE WHAT THE TIDE WOULD BRING. THE PONTOON BOAT ALONE HAD 50 CISCO IN THE HOLD AND REPORTED HOOKING UP WITH WHITE FISH, CUTTHROAT, AND CARP. THE CUTTS THAT WE TROLLED UP WERE IN THEIR 3RD TRI-MESTER, OR WERE AWFULLY FULL OF CISCO. THE FEW WE KEPT ON SATURDAY WERE FULL OF CISCO. ONE HAD 6 LARGE CISCO IN ITS TUMMY. WE SCORED CUTTS AND A FAT LAKE TROUT ON FRIDAY WITH AN EMPTY STOMACH. ONE DEEP FRIED LAKE TROUT FOR DINNER FEEDS 6 HUNGRY PEOPLE EASILY.
[signature]
[Wink][Wink] ME and The Littlerileyfish are planning on going up next Saturday. I will take a radio up with me to see whats going on. OR if anybody needs anyhelp. I will be staying up there overnight at my place. See ya up there Tom. Hope to have fish1on with us.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I am not the one to give lessons either but I think I will share some of my own ideas about cisco fishing anyway.

I have fished for cisco three ways: 1) Jigging (foul snagging) from a boat out over the rock pile, 2) dip netting them from under ice, and 3) dip netting them from the bank with no ice.

When I was out over the rockpile jigging for them, I was using large Kast Masters with trebble hooks. After I had lost my last one of 5 (at $3.25 each) to snagups on the lava rock pile, BLM, who was also out there in his boat bummed me one of these home made setups. They are much less expensive and work just as good. The bennifet of useing Kast Masters is that, while jigging for cisco, you will some times manage a cut, mack, white fish, or even a sucker too. Whereas using the home-made snagger, you will just get the cisco pretty much.

[inline cisco-snagger.gif]

As for netting them from the bank, Cisco Beach, over on the east side, is one of the best places to try. To find Cisco Beach, go around the south end to the Sinclare station. At the Sinclare station, head north for about 10 miles along the east side. Cisco Beach is about 10 miles north of the Sinclare station.

Unless the regulations have changed, nets can be no larger than 18" in diameter. If you plan to buy a net for cisco, be sure to get one that has a telescoping handle to allow you to reach way out there when you are wading in the water. Some nets have a fabric mesh and some have a wire mesh. I use wire mesh nets but wouldn't mind trying one of the fabric mesh ones some time.

[inline cisco-net-400.gif]

I find that the easiest cisco netting is when you can walk on the ice and cut a hole and dip them out. There are no restrictions on the size of the hole for netting cisco ... just the restriction on the net itself. The ice helps to hide your cover because they are quite easily spooked. I found out just how eaisly spooked they are last year when there was no ice. [/size][/font]
[signature]
What kind of boat were you in on Friday? We were in that older 16ft Starcraft open bow, white on the lower half, red on the upper. Sounds like the catching really picked up on Saturday. WH2
[signature]
WE USE A WHITE OVER LIGHT BLUE 16 FT OLDER HYDROSWIFT. 125 JOHNSON WITH A 15 HP MERC. IF IT'S COLD THE TOPS UP. WE ALWAYS TROLL. FRIDAY WE WERE TROLLING AROUND GUS'S POINT MOSTLY. WE SELDOM GET ON THE WATER BEFORE 11 AM. I USUALLY FISH TIL SUNDOWN. WE DIDN'T HIT THE WATER UNTIL 3 PM FRIDAY.
[signature]
You must have been the boat with the two downrigger out the back we saw as we were pulling up to the dock. You guys were just starting to head out. Are those electric downriggers on your boat?
[signature]
[font "Zurich Ex BT"][blue][size 3]I've found that if you replace the good quality hooks on your kastmasters with cheap light wire hooks you tend to bend the hooks before you break your line. I can't remember where I got them but I found a bunch of cheap 3 prong hooks on a clearance shelf and those seem to work good. If you bend your hook you can just bend it back and go back to jigging untill a prong breaks off and then you just replace it with another.[/size][/blue][/font]
[signature]
MOST OF THE PEOPLE WHO FISH WITH ME ARE OVER 50 YEARS OLD AND WELL FED. ELECTRIC DOWNRIGGERS FOR FISHING, ATV'S FOR HUNTING, AND GOLF CARTS FOR GOLFING...ETC
[signature]