Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another East Canyon report 1/16/06
After being schooled on Saturday, I decided I had to make a return trip to East Canyon on Monday. Fishing was a little slow but I did manage to get rid of that skunk from Sat. We broke in a newbie and he caught the first 2, and ended up with 6 on the day. My no fish catching brother caught the biggest of the day at 18 1/2" and 3.2 pounds. I guess I'll have to come up with another name for him because he is starting to learn how to get the fish now. We ended up with around 20 fish between 5 of us. Fish were caught on alot of different jigs but nothing was real consistant. Stayed in about 25' of water. The weather was great until about 12:30 then the big W came rolling in and it was time to go.
Here is the picture of the biggest fish. The picture doesn't do it justice, I need to start doing the "Chuck Adams" thing.
[signature]
I'll bet that felt really good to get the skunk off. Sound like East is growing some porky little bows as of late. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
You sure are becoming a regular at East canyon. Is that big fish that fishnpro40 posted under Petty4life EC thread, the 3.2 pound bow you are talking about? Catching at EC can sure can be hit and miss, some day it's hot some days it's cold. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
Yea Curt, East Canyon is starting to become my home water. If you look at the waters close to the ogden area there isn't anywhere else you could go to catch fat 16" trout with a chance to get into a 4-5 pounder. Lost Creek has the quantity but the quality is lacking, Causey is fun for 20 minutes while the Kokes are rolling through, but the trout are pretty poor. Also after getting my but kicked on Saturday, I felt I had to return to the same place for the revenge.

Next time I'm going to explore some new area up there.
[signature]
Curt
I have to admit, the fish at EC this year are bigger and fatter than I can remember them being in the past. Not only that, but there seems to be more and they are competing for your hook. I haven't fished it for years because of the size and the anchor worm problem, but I've been impressed this year. Not only that, the pond is less than 45 minutes from my home. I haven't even missed the berry. Not too compare the two, but when we can catch quality fish close to home, I don't feel too bad giving up on size a bit. If I could ever figure out the secret to uploading pictures, I'd show you what I mean.
[signature]
I know what you mean Rob and being closer means more fishing time. Even though the bigger trout are rarely caught, I know there are 7 and 8 pounders in there. Do the fish you've been catching have the scars, like in years past?
[signature]
I've only seen on scare on a gill plate. That is whats been nice this year. The fish look good again. How do I reduce the size of my pictures to less than 250 KB. All mine seem to be around 1200 KB.
[signature]
send them to your self in an e-mail, it will make them smaller.
[signature]
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try. Too many great pictures not to be able to share with others.
[signature]
Curt
I think I've attached a picture of John at East Canyon last weekend. Can you let me know if it worked. Thanks to Ironworks if it did. By the way, his fish was smaller than mine, but the picture he took of me was so far away and dark that you can't tell I'm holding a fish.
[signature]
That pic worked OK, that's a real nice bow.
[signature]
Dang thats a nice fish! Looks like you were out in the deeper waters. Did you still fish in shallow or did you find them deep? With it being slow on Monday we moved around a little but where we were at (same as friday and saturday) the water stays 25' deep. Next time I'm thinking of going out by the deeper water to see if anything is hanging out there. Did you see how many vehicles were parked at the first parking area? It looked like a car lot over there! There has been a few people fishing the cove where the roads come together. I haven't heard any reports from there so I don't know if it would be good or not .

We have caught alot (most) of fish this year ice fishing that had the scars. The ones I caught in the boat in November didn't have any.
[signature]
The one in the picture came from 33 feet. I caught one bigger that went 18 3/4 in 49 feet. Very few scares. Your right about the parking lot, I haven't seen that many people on the ice since the Evanston Fishing Derby.
[signature]
The picture looks great, since the fish you caught was bigger, then I would say the average trout being caught has really increased. I have a photo editor that I use to down size my pictures but it sounds like Ironworkers way is much easier. From that picture, it looks like the ice is not as slick as it was the last time I was there. How much snow was there last weekend? With all the snow we are getting today there will be a lot more up there by this weekend. I've got 3 inches at my house and they are saying it could be as much as 7 inches by tomorrow.
[signature]
hey Travis i forgot to tell you i landed a 17" brown last saturday.
was a good looking fish lots of color, but my boy threw it back before i got a pic.

you want to talk about big fish in east canyon? my personal best is a 26 1/2 inch 8lber
[signature]
Curt, On Monday when I was there, there was about 1-2 inches of snow with a few slush pockets. There is also some very dangerous ice around the middle of the lake. When I went by there Friday there was alot of thin ice and open water in the middle. By Monday the open water had shrunk a little but the most of the crappy ice had snow on it which makes it look like almost all the lake has ice. There is a little bit of ice around the dam and the boat ramp but the rest is very unsafe. After todays snows I'm sure it will be covered even more. I would not reccomend anyone fishing between the ramp and Taylors hollow area for at least a week, and thats if it stays cold.
[signature]