Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cisco Report ... 1-20-06
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2] Made the long trip from Clearfield to the east side of Bear Lake today for our annual cisco netting event. Bait_Caster, Dr. Flinn, and myself arrived at about 7:30. By 8:30, we each had our limits. When we first arrived and walked out into the water, it was about 15 minutes before we got our first cisco. For a while, we thought that it could be tough even getting one limit. Once we got everything figured out, we netted about 3-4 fish every minute. And of course, some nettings had quite a bumper crop.

Most folks up there seemed to be getting their limits. A few folks seemed to get nothing. We were netting with two different kinds of nets. One had black mesh and the other had silver mesh. The silver one, for some reason, was much more effective than the black one. The silver one had about a three-foot longer reach also. Seeing the little critters was difficult until we went back to the truck and got our polarized sun glasses. That helped a lot. Since it was always easier to see the cisco when they were over a light colored rock, we would lay the net on top of the white/yellow rock and wait. The further away from your net you could get, the better chances you had to bring something up.

The folks that couldn’t seem to get any had their nets right down near their feet and were standing straight up. Those who did much better were crouching and extending their nets way out away from them.

We also used a hookless spinner gadget that Bait_Caster put together. He would stand on the bank casting it out and bringing it in right over the net. About 5 seconds later the cisco would come in over the net.

[inline Attactor-400.gif]

We only had two pairs of waders between the three of us. So as soon as I had my limit, with the aid of a moving blanket laid on the snow, I took off my waders and put my boots on. BC then traded his boots for my waders. Then BC waded out and netted his limit while I casted and retrieved the spinner blades.

No sooner had we walked up to the truck, we were greeted by DWR and we were checked quite thoroughly … licenses and counted the ninety fish. Having 5 in each baggie made counting fast and easy.

[inline "Fish-Cop 400.gif"]

While we were there, we ran into Muskyhunter and IdahoNative. Good to meet you guys.

Also, just as we were leaving we ran accross BearLakeFishGuy. We talked with him quite a while and sounds like the Cisco Disco will once again be fun tomorrow.[/font][/size]
[signature]
Great report there Old-Coot! It sounds like you guys had a banner day. How much snow is on that side of the lake?
[signature]
I did see a lot of people with their nets by there feet like coot said.Id Native and myself had no problem with are limits either.As for the snow there is only about 2-3". We also hit the rockpile for a few hours with no luck there were 6 other boats and we only see 1 boat do any good and all they cought were cisco.It was very cold and windy so we called it a day! M.H.
[signature]
[cool] Hello Old Coot,

Well, I took some of your advice and put it to good use. It worked. Myself, Along with lilrileyfish, Fish1on and lil fish1on and his friend hit the Eastside around 0730 hrs. We tried a little further South but they were not around. Fish1on went and did a little checking around and talked with wiperslayer and he showed him the secret spot.

We then regrouped and went to it and got er done! We got our limit in nothing flat. Lil Rileyfish netted up a few also. Then she got a little wet and cold and then she decided it was time for some hot chocolate and a scone from Mrs Bearlakefishguy. She then felt better.

A big thanks to Bear lake fishguy and His Mrs and Children and Jim Stone for the goodies that they did up for everyone. The Cisco were wonderful! Once again, You guys did it up great. Thanks.

Yes, It was a snowy, nasty drive home as some others have posted. However once down past the dugway things were smooth sailing.

Those little prime ribs of Bear Lake are all vacuum packed and in the freezer. ready for some great fishing trips in the future.

Another great weekend spent with good friends, Kids and in the great outdoors.

Now, To watch the Steelers continue to kick some Bronco butt!
[signature]