Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rockport report 1-21-06
went to rockport today. the ice was good and solid. the hole in the middle of the lake is getting bigger each day. the pull out just up from the dam had people sitting on the bank fishing the open water today when i left at 3:00pm. Fishing was very slow for me. i caught only 5 perch, had a other bites. not to many perch coming through today, just every little bit i would see one on the bottom. i fished 38 to 47 feet. i talked to three people the two guys in one group caught 10 perch and one rainbow, and the other guy caught 5 perch, i did'nt see anyone else doing any good. The bites were the lightest that i have ever seen fishing for perch. slow fishing for me but there was a storm going through today so maybe tommorrow will be better. just remember that a slow day fishing is always better than the best day at work. good luck fishing to all. kept the jigs wet because it will be spring before we know it and then it will be time to get out the boats and float tubes. trfishin
[signature]
[cool]Cold weather and cold fishin', that pretty much sums up our day on the Rock as well. BassAckward, LittleJohnny, and Mike's old boss (Pete) went out there this morning expecting to slaughter them like the past two trips out there this year, and BOY did we get a nice slice of humble pie. We only iced 15 between four of us.

Normally at the Rock you can slay the perch as long as you can find a nice school of them. Finding them has been the hard part this year, but we did that today just fine, but still couldn't get those little suckers to bite much. Like you, we had the lightest perch bites we've ever seen. Don't know if it's the crazy barametric pressure changes today or what, but those fish weren't very hungry. We talked to one guy about 50 yards away from us that said that his buddy knocked the snot out of them yesterday (friday) and gave him the exact GPS coordinates of the two spots where he did so. One of the spots was right where we were at the time, and the other was where he was with his shanty, and he had only iced like 2 or 3 perch the whole day. We probably drilled 25 holes today (by hand) and still never found one spot that was much better than any others.
[signature]
Rockperch seems more like Rockless this year. So hit and miss, is it even worth taking the kids up there this year? Think I might take them to Lost Creek instead of the usual perchy trips. Quantity still rules with the kids.

F4F
[signature]
Doggonefishin and I were also there today. Fished from 8:30-2:00 at about 45.5 feet, straight out from the rocky point. Managed to catch 10 perch, lots of bites. I could attest to the light bites, one nibble and that's all you get. DGF caught two rainbows and, I think, 6 perch. The comment from O4T about somebody doing good yesterday could be attributed to the dropping barometric pressure as a storm front moves in. Saw lots of perch move through the finder but not many takers, although the highlight of my day was when one school went through and caught 4 in 4 drops. Maybe I should have been using a double jig setup.
[signature]