Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Cisco Disco
My boy a neighbor kid and I headed up to Bear Lake for some Cisco Saturday morning dark and early. I towed the boat over the snowy mountain passes to do some Mac fishing later in the day. What is normally a 2 hour drive turned in to 3 hours. When we arrive at Cisco beach we headed to the water looking for fish, it was around 8:00 we couldn’t see any Cisco anywhere, and everyone was just standing around holding their nets. We headed over to where BLFG was holding the Cisco Disco and took pleasure in his warm and tasty food. It helped in getting warm after standing in cold water for a half hour. After a while I noticed that those standing in the water started lifting their nets so I headed back to the water. Three of us were able to limit out in less than an hour. We then headed back over to thank BLFG for the good food. We launched the boat and were over the old rock pile by noon. By 4:00 I managed to hook up with 2 24 inch 6 lbs Macs. We didn’t notice very many other fish being caught other than Cisco. After loading the boat several of the boats that had been trolling came in, they had better success with trolling.

The weather wasn’t too bad. It snowed off and on all day. The sun even came out a few times. There was a slight breeze through out the day it even died down a few times.

There is ice forming in the marina and the bay outside the marina had ice. Other boat had broken a path when we went out. We were the first to head in off the water and had to break a new path through the ice outside the marina it had frozen in the 4 hours we were out.

It ended up taking us 4 hours to get home. It was snowing in both passes and we ended up behind snowplows going 35 MPH. If I would have got home early I would have post something last night.
[signature]
I traveled past the lake on Saturday on my way to my parents. We did see some trucks along the shore probably 3 miles north of the Rendevous Beach area around the south-west area of the lake. Was this where the party was at? There were a couple boats in the area as well.

I wanted to fish the east side and see if I could find any cisco but I had too many other things to do. It was still fun though because of all the new snow on the Idaho side of Bear Lake.

After leaving Fishaven we noticed two different herds of elk laying down along the lake shore, each heard probably had around 30 to 40 head of elk. After arriving in Paris we spotted 4 deer right in the middle of the town looking for food. It was nice to see all the precipitation these towns are recieving for the rivers, creeks, and lakes but I hope it's not too much for the young deer and elk.
[signature]
There were a lot of smaller boats that launched from the shore in that area. The Cisco Disco was held on the east side at the state park along Cisco beach.
[signature]
Glad you had a safe trip Paul. I haven't been up the BL in years to catch any of the little Cisco, but it sure was fun.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2] Good report there FW. Sounds like you really made a day of it ... you caught your limits of cisco, you got in on the Cisco Disco, you caught macks (something that seems to have eluded me most of this year) and then had some great snow storms to plow through. Personally, I quite like navigating roads in bad weather .... I don't know why but I do. But anyway, sounds like you did it all. I suspect that the boys will be remembering it for a long time. Speaking of the boys, did you catch Doug Miller last night? You might want to get a hold of me for a taped copy of it. I'm sure FishingWaters Jr. would get a kick out of seeing it. I may even post something on the board about it later on.

Question ... did you use any popsicles when jigging for those macks?[/font][/size]
[signature]
I used all but half of the popsicles I had to rig up a new jig for my neighbor and refresh mine. I didn’t get to watch DM last night I was going to tape it but for got. I was asleep by 9:30 about half hour after I got home. All have to come by a get that tape.
[signature]
I think I saw your boat as we were leaving, did you have it parked on south end of the cisco beach pay area? Why didn't you launch your boat from the East side? When we got up Saturday morning it was snowing, so we drove threw Wyoming to avoid the mountain pass above Logan. It was 30 miles farther but we made the drive in two hours, plus the gas was cheaper in Wyoming. I hate that pass when it is snowy, I think I'm going to start going through Wyoming when I drive up to Bear lake in the winter. WH2
[signature]
I did park at the south end at first then moved north for the Disco. I have a blue truck with a yellow boat. I when back around to the west side to launch in case any wind came up. I also had to go back that way to head home. I did consider going through Wyoming. It was worse coming home over the pass than getting there.
[signature]
Was it snowing over the pass on your way going back? We thought about going back that way but I'm glad I went back through Wyoming after reading your report. It's nerve racking for me, driving over that pass when it's snowing or snow packed. I always figure that fishing is suppose to be fun, so worrying about driving in those conditions, takes all the enjoyment out of the trip. At least you got back safely.
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] Hi Curtis, hey the trip we made this morning was a little hectic on the way up to Bear Lake. But comming back was a lot better, the ice and snow on the roads was melting very quickly and made the driving pretty nice.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
The trip back was worse more traffic and more snow. It doesn’t bother me that much to drive in the snow.
[signature]