Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua 2/3
Spent the day at Mantua. Very slushy 4" of slush on top of 2" of "ice" then 3" more of slush on 5" of ice. One good note was the slush made a nice live well. Drilled 6 holes today and got plenty of fish from 5 of them. I ended up catching 28 perch, half were dinks, 5 bass, 4 trout and 3 bluegill. Very touchy fish today they wouldn't hit bait unless it was just above them, the fish finder was indespensible today. Sometimes they wanted it moving, sometimes it had to be dead still. Got fish on maggots, meal worms, and perch meat. When one bait stopped working, I'd switch to one of the other baits and continue catching fish.

Here's some of my catch. Sounds like the gills are on the east side and the perch are in the middle. A couple of these perch were pushing 10" and the gills were a nice 8".
[inline mantua003.jpg]
[signature]
Thanks for the report fishnate! I appreciate any report I can get from Mantua and Hyrum since those are the only two lakes I've been able to ice-fish.

Derek
[signature]
I was up there yesterday but couldn't get the perch. Broke my fish finder up there 2weeks ago. I did get a grand slam though yesterday. 4 3 inch perch LOL must have caught about 75 gills and kept 24 of the big ones 1 17 inch bow and about 3 8-11 inch bass. I tried over in front of the boat launch for about an hour never had a bite. Then headed to the east side and got into the gills and bass and one of the perch. Got the other 3 and the trout north of the hill on the east side. When my wife shows me how to get the pictures of the digital I will be posting the ones of the trout.
[signature]