Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mud Lake is Dying
Today was a pretty Sad day out on the ice. A couple of guys that I know heard that I go ice fishing and they had never been and wanted me to take them. I decided that there would be no better place to go than to teach them at Mud Lake. I have been doing great there for the past month and I was 100% sure that we would be able to catch some fish. We we got there an older man told us that no one is catching any fish. I couldn't believe that. So we went out and drilled some holes pretty much in the same area that I went a couple of weeks ago. I took a look down the first hole that we drilled and I saw dead fish all over the lake bottom. We drilled about 5 other holes all going about 15 feet towards the middle of the lake. All those holes were also filled with dead fish laying on the bottom. I couldn't believe it. It seems to me that there is not enough oxygen in the lake to support life. I didn't see one fish alive. I talked to a couple of other people out there and they hadn't even had a bite in four hours. This was really disappointing. I believe that mud lake will die this winter and probably won't be any good for the next 3 to 4 years.
We were able to fish roberts ponds after the heartbreak at mud lake. We caught about 30 in 2.5 hours. All about 5 inches. Nothing great but at least they were alive.
It looks like I'll have to find some other hot spot to fish for the rest of the winter.
Fight4not[Sad]
[signature]
That can't be good, how shallow is the lake? I wonder if the die off has happened in the past, when the lake has frozen. I sure hope no one put poison in the water. At least you caught them at Roberts pond.[size 1] [/size] WH2
[signature]
Fight4not,

Thanks for the update. That it isn't something any of us wanted to hear.

Wiperhunter2,

Mud Lake is shallow enough that I wouldn't have to get my hair wet to touch the bottom almost anywhere in the lake (I'm 6' tall). If I remember correctly the last time Mud Lake winter killed was the winter of 2002/2003. Winter kill occurs at Mud Lake every few years and there is not economical solution that the F&G has found to prevent it from winterkilling. It is to bad because it could be a good LMB, bluegill, Tiger Muskie and/or catfish lake if it didn't always winterkill.
[signature]
Thats a bummer but shallow lakes always have that problem. One of the things the DWR in Utah have done is to install those wind powered water circulation units. They put air into the water to prevent the winter kill in shallow lakes but like you said, it might not be an[size 1] [black][size 2]economical solution, depending on what a unit like that cost[/size][/black]. [/size]
[signature]
My two friends and I went to Mud Lake 2/4/05. We saw the same dead fish. There were a couple of holes dug the day before and there were 10-15 chubs belly up right under the ice. That was my first and only trip to Mud Lake. I won't be going back there any time soon. It's too bad the fish kill had to happen.
We quickly packed up and headed south to Weston. The fishing wasn't much better at Weston. We caught a couple of nice fish. We saw one other group catch 1 fish right before a huge snow/wind storm came up and blew us off.
[signature]
I fished for three hours early Saturday on Mud Lake and finally looked down the hole and the bottom was literally covered with dead fish - mostly small, but the large ones would not bite. The lake was super while it lasted but it is over for this year. Hopefully some of the large ones will survive.

Bill
[signature]
I fished Friday night at Mudlake. The holes filled with fish coming up for air as soon as I drilled the holes. We could not get one fish to bite the hook. Wow that happened fast. There has go to be something that we can do to help out in the future? Well I guess we will have to look for another hot spot. It really is to bad. The fishing was so good there.[Sad]

Windriver
[signature]
Yep, it is true the winter kill is on full swing at Mud Lake. Fish all over the bottom belly up and fish swimming up into the holes tring to find some O2. Very Sad, I have never seen anything like it. No wonder the fish and game does not plant that place with much. If this happens that regularly. Superslammer and I went out on saturday saw the fish and left within 1/2 hour. Have not tried Ririe, maybe thats the place if it gets cold this week. I am to chicken to go out on 3 inches but 4-5 is perfect. Good luck and avoid Mud Lake.
[signature]
I was just wondering if there are enough perch lovers like myself out there who would be willing to do something to help in the future. The lake is great as far as numbers of perch are concerned. The lake also has plenty to eat for the perch get to really large sizes. I caught plenty this winter in the 12" range, and I know BSflies caught a few in the 14" range. The one big problem with the lake is the oxygen levels. Would you pay a small fee to park at the lake in the winter if it meant that they ran a couple of pipes out into the lake with an oxygenator system similiar to the one they have on Henry's? I know I love having a close place with lots of tasty fish for my family to go have a really good time on. I would not be opposed to paying for the privilege.

What do you say?
Windriver
[signature]
I love to catch perch and would pay to play if I thought it would help, but as I see it, the lake is just set up for fish kill and I dont know if there is anyway to prevent it even if you pay to park. Just my 2 cents. I wish we could have a big lake dedicated to perch, walleye, bass, northern pike, crappy, and catfish on this side of the state. There is as much chance of that as I becoming the president of the US. Trout are great but variety is the spice of life.
Killperch
[signature]
Thanks for checking in Mr. Thornberry good to have your comments on the board. Killperch that would be great to have a lake dedicated to warmwater species. I just do not know which one it would be? Ririe has the Smallmouth, although most of them are small. The other bass lakes are in the Preston area. I enjoy going down there a couple of times a year. I guess I just want everything including a good perch lake in my backyard. Maybe that is just too much to ask.[cool]

Thanks for the input
Windriver
[signature]