Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Falls 2/7/06
From 11:45am-4:30pm I fished American Falls in the same area that I did Friday. Ice was 4.5"-5" is all of my holes today which is an improvement when compared to the Friday were I was mostly walking on 3" of ice. Friday there was open water about 2 miles from the dam, today there is open water less than a mile from the dam.
I would say the fish were about as active as they were the other day but I had my little girls with me so I wasn't as effective at catching fish as I could have. Fortunatly I only lost one fish instead of over half of the fish I hooked. All seven rainbows that I caught were 17"-20" (put a tape on 3 of them).
I saw three other fisherman. One came as I was leaving. Two were fishing in the same area as me and fished about 4-5 hours each. They each caught one rainbow. One of their fish was 26" long and had a 16" girth[shocked]. I would guess it may have gone 8lbs.
I'm sure I left out a couple things but I only have time for a 5 minute report at the moment. I'll try to get back out there before sunrise tomorrow and fish for a couple hours but I'm busy with other stuff so I'll see if I have time.
[signature]
Thanks for the information. Sounds like you are having fun. Good luck if you go out again.

Windriver
[signature]
Thanks again for the report Brian, thats good news, the ice increased that much in just a few days, it must be cold even during the day up there. Even though that fisherman only caught the 26 incher it still must have made his day, sounds like a nice fish. WH2
[signature]
Is AF Reservoir typically a body of water that doesn't freeze?

BMURR
[signature]
I didn't make it to American Falls this morning but if it isn't too windy I'll be back out there Friday afternoon and/or a couple hours early Saturday morning.

Wiperhunter2,

It hasn't been unusually cold the last few days. The Pocatello Airport (right next to American Falls Res) has had about average temps with highs in the upper 30's and night time lows in the teens. Lack of wind is the key to ice forming on American Falls.

BMURR,

American Falls freezes every winter but just like any other larger reservoir it takes a little longer to freeze and often has open water in the middle of the reservoir.
[signature]
I've only trolled American Falls once and that was about 6 or 7 years ago. Since 2001 American Falls hasn't been very good fishing because of the drought. It was down to 2-3% full at the end of irrigation season 3? of the years. Trollers did a little better at American Falls in 2005 and 2006 looks like it will be even better. I will get out there and troll it at least a couple times this year but will have to rely on my dad or friends for a boat. American Falls certianly has potentail but there are also a lot of guys that get skunked there. I'll keep you updated on it.
[signature]
I would like to get over to CJ Strike and some of the other reservoirs this spring if I have time. If I'm headed that way this spring I'll try to remember to let you know.
[signature]