Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Out4Trout's Revenge on Mantua (2/11 report)
[cool]Had to work this a.m. 'til 12:00, but when the time came, I boogied it out to my car in Murray and pointed the car North and floored it!

Got to the lake at 1:45 or so and headed over to the SouthEast side. Noticed the city of anglers on the ice and about 50-60 vehicles all lined up single file along the North side of the road. Headed out into the "city" to ask how folks had been doing. Got on the radio and paged Lavaman, and sure enough he answered back. Problem was, he was WAY in the heck over towards the boat ramp and out about 200 yards from it or so. He had had a little luck earlier, but nothing in the last half hour so I decided to just keep walking through the city. Nothing impressed me (nor did any reports from the city's residents, so I kept walking NorthWest. Settled in along the NorthWest edge of the city of anglers when I saw a guy bring up two gils in about a 4 minute time frame. Drilled a hole through about two feet thick of ice, hardened slush, and whatever else and about puked. Man I'm outta shape. Anyhooters, dropped the sonar down to have a looksie and sure enough I was marking tons 'o fish in about 12 feet deep. Sounded good to me so I dropped my line and got bites immediately. I radio'd over to lavaman to see if the action over on the West side was getting any better, and he said it wasn't. Told him to get over here, and we proceeded to have tons of action in that area, and never left it for another. He had to go after about two hours but we had a great time, and it was nice meeting you dude!

Wax worms were the bait of choice today. The bluegills didn't want much at all to do with mealies, so I put them away pretty fast and added a waxie to my 2nd jig after nailing about 5 in a row on the waxie. Ended up with about 20-25 brought through the hole. Had a largie or bow on that really ripped drag but he spit the hook before I got a good look at him.

All in all it was a fun day with lots of action. The catching wasn't super fast, but the lite bites sure were. Think I had over 100 bites. It was even slower than that for all of the anglers I talked to when going out to find me a spot. It was a really nice day on the pond, and it sure was nice to catch more than 4 fish and 1 fish like my previous two and only trips to Mantua's hardwater. Can't wait to float that little gem from my tube this summer!!!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff4040]Who says revenge isn't so sweeet! Looks like the makins for a good ol fish fry tonight.[/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
[cool]You got it, dude!! What's this I hear about needing to "get my license for this year?" You aughta be ashamed of yourself!! The 'eyes'll be biting soon on the big brown pond, so you better get ready!

As for fish fry, like Ed McMahon used to say "You are correct, sir!" Gonna whip up a batch of TD's Pigout Perch/(bluegill) Chowder tonight! Yummmm!!!!!!!!!!!!! My mouth is starting to drool just thinking about that delicious stuff!
[signature]
[cool]Oh yeah, forgot to mention in my report above that Willard looked great and no ice. Saw one boat just outside of the North marina, and about 6 cars in the lot there.

What's gonna suck though is that UDOT is doing a MAJOR expansion project on I-15 for the next three years starting this summer. The project is going from 31st street in Ogden clear up to around Willard or so. It's gonna take longer to get there (not to mention Mantua, Bear Lake, etc.) for all of us that live South of Willard...for more info just do a search on the Deseretnews Website, as there was a big ol article on it last week.

Dang it's late...gotta get some shuteye now...!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff4040]Yeah I know I need to get my butt in gear and get my license. I just recently bought myself a bow, so all my time (and money) has been spent on getting ready for hunting. I know, I know that should be no excuse to even get my fishing license...so that's it I think I might just go get one tomorrow! [/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Do it anytime you want. I bought mine on the internet for the first time this year. It was so easy. It took about 10 mins then I printed out my temp license and went fishing. I think it was like 05:30am when I bought it.
A week later I recieved my tearproof licence in the mail. I'd already been fishing twice.
[signature]
Out4Trout, that was a fun time! I only wish you could have made it up here sooner!

I do have to add something to the Mantua Report:
We need to tell everyone who heads up to that pond, please be on the lookout for a huge bow with a little white ratfinkee stuck in its' jaw. Man oh man, before Jeff got there I was having off and on success up on the northwest side (as per Coldfooter's advice), but the part that nearly floored me was when my little ultra light did a nose dive into the water. I picked it up and I immediately knew that this was no bluegill. It took a while, but finally I saw a quick flash of white from his belly, and then he took off again. I couldn't get the danged monster up through the hole!!! My drag was spinning, and I finally got him close again, when suddenly: SNAP. There goes my lure, line, and confidence down the drain just like that! I didn't think I'd EVER have to worry about a fish not fitting up through the hole, but now I know better. And yes, I had nightmares about the whole ordeal last night!

Anyways, after that, I proceeded to catch many o 'Gill with Jeff. Thanks again for the bobber, and like I said, next time we hook up I'll buy the wax worms! It's fun to fish with people on here and I hope that I can get the opportunity to do it again soon!

Heading out to that pond again today!

Derek
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good report. Now let's see whether you used up all your good luck, or if you are off to a good start for a banner year. If you can pull the same trick on the walleyes there won't be no peace around you for us mere mortals.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]LOL! We'll see with those toothy critters...They are my arch nemisis for sure. Almost went after them on Saturday at the big brown pond, but decided it was too chilly for my blood (and flotation gear). The next Saturday where it's in the 40's (at least) and not too windy I will be on the hunt for them!! I'm sure you'll be after them as well soon enough. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised at all if you went after them today???
[signature]
[cool]So Derek, how did you do today out there? I marked the spot, so hopefully you found it o.k....

Nevermind, just saw your report. Nice job today!!
[signature]
Glad to hear you finally had a rockin day out on the ice.As Pat said if you can do half as well on the eyes this year we may have to take that mickey mouse fishing pole from you and get you a real rod. See alot of people don't know this. But Geoff has a mickey mouse pole he still uses. He states it is his lucky pole. He told me about when he landed his first fish on it and for many years it was his only fish. Then Pat and myself showed him a couple of tricks and he got his 2nd fish. LOL just kiddin buddy good job. We have to see about going fishing when I get back from seattle.
[signature]
[cool]LOL, Mickey Mouse pole!!!![sly] It was a Scooby Doo pole, silly! Hey, I heard there's this cool old hotel that you can stay at right on the sound where you can fish right out of your hotel window!! Never been to that one, but I think someday I might stay there! You should request it on your next biz trip out there. Good luck up there, buddy. When you get back we'll go chase 'eyes!!!
[signature]