Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't wait!
I can't wait till it is ice off so I have something to talk about with you fellow spuds. I read your ice fishing reports and I love them, have to put a sweater on to read them, but I love them. Ice fisher people are the ultimate fishing people, I got to say. I can stand in a river for hours, but, to stand or sit on an ice cube has got to be a special breed. Hats off to all of you sincerely! RIGHT ON!
Fly Goddess
[signature]
We can talk about flyfishing if you want to. I am sending my Winston Ibis in this week because I snapped the tip for the 3rd year in a row. Is there a defect with Winstons? I did not bend it against the spine or anything. I did not even have ice in my guides this time. I just pulled the line through and it snapped. O'well I guess that is why we buy lifetime warranties.

I am excited to go fly fishing again soon. Thinking about hitting clear lakes around the 1st of April.

Windriver
[signature]
There is some lines in all the company's that I think have a problem. I knoe that Orvis had One in the TLS that had that problem. Not familiar enough with winston although my ol' man has one and the ferrule wore out.
I will be up in Idaho Falls around the 15th of April for the Fly Tying Expo. Going to be tying my 32's along with some others.
[signature]
I would have to agree with you. When I think of all the special equipment you need to be really successful at ice fishing and keeping warm and compare it with a good pair of waders and a vest (lures and rods aside),there is no comparison. Also give me about 65-80 degrees and a good stream or lake and I'll take it any day over ice and snow. But our differences are what make it great. Imagine everyone thinking totally alike? I'll take differences!
[signature]
Flygoddess,

I will be putting on a program about Henrys Lake at the Flytying Expo in Idaho Falls also. Hopefully we will see each other and discuss the upcoming season.

Bill
[signature]
I would love that Bill, looking forward to it. It's getting closer...YEAH!
[signature]
I can't wait either. The past few years I've fished hard and heavy in the spring because most places really died off latter in the summer. Unless things take a turn for the worst it looks like the fishing will better this summer than it has for several years. I'll probably give some of the rivers and streams a little more attention this summer than I have for years.[cool]

Mid February is when I normally start looking for pre spawn rainbows. They might be a little later this year and run off could be a problem but IMO there are more qualitly sized rainbows in Eastern Idaho than there has been in years.[Smile]

It would be great if the F&G would plant some fingerling Browns this spring to get them back to where they were in a few places.

If I have time I'll try to make it to the Fly Tying expo. It would be nice to meet a few of you.
[signature]
Yeah' I envy you guys that have taken the time to learn the fine art of fly fishing! I hope to take it up in the future, but between teaching, wildland firefighting, and grizzly observation I have had little time. Ice Fishing takes true grit sometimes; a hike in deep snow at PalaSades with all your gear on your back makes you wonder if its all worth it, but when you get set up I can't imagine a more peaceful experience. As my fishing season comes to a close I hope to keep up of whats going on with this board. I have enjoyed all your comments.

OvidCreek
[signature]
"Hear Hear"

Bring on the soft water!

Im cold!

Skipper..
[signature]
Is that Tommy in your avater? That's gonna leave a mark. Holy scnikie! (I watch way too much TV)
[signature]
Hi All

I can't wait either. I just got back from a fly fishing show in Bozeman. We will be doing a stillwater fly tying demo at Jimmys on the 25th. Then I will be with bsflies at the expo for the still water program presentation. If you all feel like traveling there is the Sportsmans Expo in SLC March 16 thru the 20th. Should get anyone reved for the upcoming season. I have tried to ice fish but its too hard to hit the hole with the fly. [cool]

laters
[signature]
tybugs1, If you can make it down to the Sportsmen's show , I just might bump into you. I have to go check out the Elk Horn booth. They have got a Bamboo rod for under $400. and blanks under $200. Personally I am not one to buy an overseas made rod, BUT BOO FOR $400. I got to check it out! Maybe a 5wt, got a great 4.
[signature]
Hey flygoddess, There is a FF show in my neck of the woods every year where the domonstrator sets up several dixie cups at varied distances and widths.

He demonstrates how to hit just the cup on consecutive casts. You could still have a chance on the hard water with a 6 inch hole. All is not lost[Wink]
[signature]
Yah right! the problem is getting the fish to take Dries![Smile]
[signature]
Bill: Spent 10 days at Henrys Lake last mid-October. Caught several cutts and hybrids on a couple of your bs patterns from the local fly shop; the olive and holloween bead heads. Another fellow showed me a similiar "jig" (as he called it) with black head and dark-blue feathered body. He was doing really well with this pattern. He said he'd got them through Cabellas but I haven't found anything close in their catalog. I'm sure you know what this pattern would be and I'm wondering if you offer it and how I can purchase a few from you on the web? Tight lines, Burton in Boise
[signature]
[size 1]Don't be sending that tip back due to carelessness, the rod maker only factors those "free" tips into the sale price of a new rod. [/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]Too late, I think that breakage was factored in a long time ago. When you spend that much on the rod and the Manufactuer claims repair no matter what. Plus they probably get write offs for those. I know the upper end rods have pain staking time put into them, but they can't cost $500. and up to make, they do make a profit, they must---right?[/size]
[signature]
flyfishr1cd,

Welcome to BFT Idaho. I hope you come back and post often.

[size 1]Below is a link so you can registed a username. It only costs a couple minutes of your time and you only need an email address. The more registered users we have, the better BFT Idaho is. Once you regsiter you can send and recieve PMs (personal messages) as well as other benifits. I hope you come back and post often.
[/size][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/community/community.cgi?do=user_signup"][black][size 1][Image: newuser.gif][/size][/black][/url][black][size 1] [/size][/black]
[signature]
So..I've read the wealth of info posted...thank you all.
How does "dragging flies" from the boat work there? We have a lot of success with sink IV lines and a slow slow troll with electric motor in other lakes... ???
[signature]
Depends on time of year. It is very shallow and weedy. Warm weather, even more weedy. This makes it impossible to troll.
But early season or late season...troll away.
With that line, anchor down, cast out, wait a minute then slow strip.
[signature]
Thank You. We'll be there @ June 5 for a few days. I've only fished it once in 03, and did just "fair" with only pop gear then. Been fly fishing ever since. We don't own sink 1 or 2...We Have 4 full sink and some 10-12 foot sink tip lines. Does the 1-2 improve success enough for us to merit a purchase? Thanks
[signature]