Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Conditions - Ice is marginal (edited post)
[#ff8080](EDITED AT 10:30am on WEDNESDAY)[/#ff8080]
[#ff8080]The original report from this morning needed to be edited after the snow slowed down we had better visibility to assess the lake). The conditions were terrible with 30mph+ winds this morning. Unfortunately the wind opened up some additional wide cracks in the ice and there is some significant open water again. I attached one picture of the marina and the area around the new rockpiles. As you can see they are open water. I also spoke with State Park personnel who were on the east side and reported the same conditons. SO, the ice for the next few days will be touch and go.[/#ff8080]
[inline Picture.jpg]

Original Post from Wednesday 8:00am
I thought I'd start another thread with Bear Lake conditions for Wednesday morning, February 15th. On Tuesday the weather was mild and breezy which did not bode well for the ice making conditions on Bear Lake. In fact, I thought it would take the ice off, but it must have been thicker than we thought. There was still ice at the end of the day on Tuesday, but there were several large (100 yard wide) cracks that formed in different spots around the lake and there was even a person who launched a boat and was fishing the open water between the ice sheets!. But, it got really cold last night and started to snow......and snow.....and this morning (Wed 2/15) it is still snowing! We got about a foot so far and its still coming down hard. The ice that was there is now covered and it might be a good/bad thing. Good because the snow will set the ice and prevent it from blowing off. Bad, cause it may insulate the ice and keep it from freezing as quickly as if there were no snow. So, if you're planning on coming up to Bear Lake all I can say is BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL! Use a spud bar to constantly check the ice thickness if you walk out on the ice to fish. If you should walk over one of the previously open areas the ice could be very thin! Wear a life jacket (who cares what other's think of your fashion statement!!) Bring a long, at least 50' rope, tied to your waist with a float on the other end. That way if you fall through someone may be able to grab the rope and haul your carcass to saftey! Wear a set of ice picks around your neck on the OUTSIDE of your clothing. That way, if you should fall through, you can use the picks to pull yourself out. Again, BE CAREFUL! Enough said!
[signature]
Really apreciate you keeping us up to date, Thankyou!
[signature]
Thanks for that update! I actually woke up this morning hoping to see a report from you. I am hoping that Sun/Mon to be fishing Bear Lake hard deck, but heres to hoping!!! praying is more like it!
[signature]
Thanks for the update Scott. I had a feeling when you said the word wind that the news would not be good today but it sounds better than I thought. I guess there is still hope that we will see fishable ice soon, now if the wind will calm down for a few more days!!!
[signature]