Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake is 1/2 open water, still!
The report is not what the ice fishermen are wanting to hear, but as of today the lake is approximately 1/2 open water. Picture a line being drawn down the lake from north to south. The east side of the lake is completely open water with some ice floating around. The open water starts at the Pump House and continues all the way north up into Idaho. The west side is frozen, but the ice is shelved up and quite rough, so I don't think there is any "safe" ice at this point. Last night the temps went down to -4 so its difficult to imagine why the lake did not refreeze after the big wind/snow storm yesterday. Tonight it is supposed to go "sub zero" again, so maybe the open areas will refreeze. Saturday is supposed to be breezy again, so maybe all the ice will blow off? This period of "in between freeze-up and open water" sucks , but don't shoot me, I'm the messenger, go pick a fight with mother nature.

The ice over the rockpile area has been in place since Monday, but there hasn't been any anglers out on it. Same with the ice south of Gus Rich Point. Hope this report helps.

Here are two pictures of the open water at First Point and Second Points as of this morning.

1st Point open water with ice chunks 2/16/06
[inline "1st Point 2_16_06.jpg"]

2nd Point looking north towards the Boy Scout Camp (all open water) taken on 2/16/06
[inline "2nd Point 2_16_06.jpg"]
[signature]
Once again, thanks for the update. I had almost given up on the big bad bear, but with the recent cold snap, she might freeze up!
[signature]