Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 inchers all day at Mantua
Fished Mantua today. We only caught perch and the biggest one was maybe 3 inches long. Lots of bits but the fish were to small to set the hook. Very slow fishing until we used a perch eye ball for bait.

From the look of it we were not the only ones having this problem. The ice was very crowded by the inlet so we went out to the point at the back of the lake.

It didn't mater what we used we could only get the little ones to bite.

Did any body do any better?
[signature]
I've only caught 2 perch at mantua all year. I don't know where you find them, but they are not where i am. The 2 i caught were 10" each. I think the perch eye has alot to do with it. I only use waxies up there.
[signature]
I also fished Mantua today and was in the same general vicinity as you, but I didn't encounter the same problem as you. I took home several 10" perch and 8"+ bluegills. I almost had a Mantua grand slam, but I couldn't convince a trout to bite today. How deep were you fishing? I've noticed that the bigger fish over by the point tend to be in the 10-12' range and also tend to be suspended. Also, I noticed that the smaller the lure the better! Hopefully, you can find the bigger ones next time!

midge
We fished in 15 feet of water using a small ice fly. There was only one other group of people next to us and they had a 4 wheeler. Was that you guys. We left at about 11:30 and had are fell of all the little fish.
[signature]
Smalls, did you or anyone around you catch any trout today? Seems that most of the fish being taken over near the inlet area are bluegills with some perch.

I'm thinking of fishing north of the point later this week. I have caught or hooked into bigger fish out that way. And a bonus- no crowds. Two weekends ago, me and my boy were fishing near that inlet where the city of people usually hang out, and for a while all was good. Then some yahoos came within I'd say 25' feet of us and started power drilling many holes. They got the whole late and they have to come right next to us. Well after their power augers scared everything off, the action slowed down noticably.

It's too bad that some people have no respect for other fishermen.

Derek
[signature]
After our Bear Lake trip turned into lack of ice trip, BLM, my wife and I went to Mantua on Sunday. It took us awhile and alot of moving to find fish. But eventually we got on alot of blue gill. ACtually caught my first blue gill. It was a monster going 2 1/2" [cool]
But fun none the less. We were over in the inlet area.
[signature]
We stayed away from the city of people. But we only caught perch no trout. On our way off the ice I saw a guy with his power auger drilling what seemed to be 4 to 6 holes and he was the only one in his group and on top of that he was right in the middle of the city. I agree with you some people have no respect.
[signature]
Hey those two and a half inchers really can put up a fight. Congrats on your first blue gill.
[signature]
You guys fished right by us until you moved over to the point. Wiperslayer was in the green ice shack, that you guys fished by when you started. I moved up on the north side of him before you left for the point. I think I heard one of you say you got a good bite before you left. We caught 8 total 7 bluegill and one perch, using rat finkees and spikes. I had my BFT decal on my tackle box pointed in your direction but did not see on on your gear. WH2
[signature]
Yeah I was flying solo. However, a father and son with the 4 wheelers cruised by and saw that I had some decent fish on the ice and they mentioned that they really haven't caught anything, so I mentioned that they should fish around me. Being cordial worked out b/c I got a lift on the 4 wheeler back to my car near the restroom. I fished from 10:30 - 2:30.
Your right you guys did fish by use. There was that small branch someone put up for a marker. Its to bad I didn't see your BFT sticker I would have came over and say Hi. How do I go about getting some BFT stickers?
[signature]
I fished it monday with the same result: tons of 3 inch perch. The perch have taken over for some reason. I was very surprised. But then again I think I was in the wrong areas. Been having no problems finding tons of gills for a month now. Did get a couple decent 15 inch trout and a bass and finally moving around I ran into 8 gills. Far cry from the "drop down and instant 'gill" I'm getting used to. This is just plain weird. Also nobody mentioned the horrible snow drift that blocked all but high-clearance vehicles from parking on the east side. It sucked to have to walk.
[signature]