Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BEAR LAKE REPORT FOR THIS COMING WEEKEND!
[size 1][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Why am I reporting on Thurs. for the coming weekend? Because I plan to fish tomorrow and not be stuck behind a computer! [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Bear Lake is entirely frozen and ice thicknesses vary from 2"-7" around the lake. Temperatures warmed up the last two days and it was over 40 today. The ice on the east side of the lake looks scary and there have been no fishermen there and there are no recent reports on ice thicknesses with the exception of Cisco Beach where the ice is 2-3" thick. There are plenty of spring/vent holes off Cisco Beach that are open water, so avoid these areas. Use caution when crossing any area with the shelved up ice since these areas could be weak. [black]Several[/black] people have fell through this week when crossing an area with shelved-up ice. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Ice anglers who have been fishing are doing good for whitefish and fair for cutthroat trout with an occasional lake trout. The rockpile has been the most popular area, but the rockpiles north of the Utah State Park marina should also be good. The lures of choice for whitefish have been small Swedish pimples and castmasters with a 8-12" dropper down to an ice fly tipped with a salmon egg or waxworm. Use tube jigs and larger jigging spoons tipped cisco have been working for the trout. Fish right on the bottom and keep changing water depths until you find the fish. The most productive depths on the rockpile have been between 35-40 feet.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]When venturing on the ice in areas without other anglers make sure to use extreme caution. It is smart to have a rope to throw to someone in case they fall through. Also wear a pair of ice picks around your neck, on the outside of your clothing to help pull yourself out if you happen to fall through the ice. Make sure to check your proclamation for all the current rules and regulations. The daily and possession limit for whitefish it is 10 fish and for cutthroat and lake trout it is 2 fish, either singly or in aggregate. Remember to immediately release cutthroat trout that are not fin clipped.[/size][/black][/font]
[/size]
[signature]
Two questions:
1) Do you think with recent weather that Bear lake will be safe ice fishing for saturday?

2) What about in deaper water (70-85 feet) around rock pile and gus riches? Have people been able to venture out that deep or is the ice too thin? If so, have they been productive out there?

I've narrowed my choices to Deep Creek Res. in Idaho, or Bear Lake for this saturday. Any suggestions?

I've never been to deep creek, and at bear lake I am a creature of habit. I almost always fish near the rock pile, but out in deeper water. Lately, it hasn't been working for me so I just don't have a clue what to do.

We appreciate the reports scott. I'd also appreciate any feedback on what I should do with my rare (of late) and valuable (always) fishing time this saturday. GLA.
[signature]
Answers:
1). Ice is never safe in my opinion. I would never even say it it safe with 3 feet. I simply report the current thickness (7" on the rockpile today with 40+ temps). You will have to be your own judge. All I know is I will be fishing these next couple of days. There are many factors to consider: How windy, how sunny, how much traffic on the ice.

2). There were people out there today. If I could predict ice conditions/weather I'd quit my job and make millions. If you tried hard enough I'm sure you could go swimming even on the thickest ice and coldest day; but if you're cautious, use a spud (not auger) to check thickness as you walk out, and follow others foot steps you should be OK, but there are never any guarantees, you'll have to be the ultimate judge.

3). I'm prejudice when it comes to Bear Lake, so I gotta say its the spot to be. I've never fished Deep Creek so I can't help you there.
[signature]