Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boise Area
Hi, I'm Burton. Aluma165 on this and a couple of other forums. Saw a piece in Idaho Outdoors this morning regarding this site and encouraging participation from the Boise area. Thought I'd sign in as one more voice in Boise. I'm a retired 20 year Army pilot. Fished about all my life in several states and various countries; all types: flies and poppers for trout, bass, panfish & carp; lure casting for everything from salmon, steelhead, bass, channel cats to king macks in the Gulf. Trolled Ireland and Scotland for salmon and fished their tributaries. Germany was superb trout fishing in the 80's. (not many Germans fished the streams) Speared in Hawaii. Have fished and trolled Campbell River, B.C. I like it all. Casting, crankbait, trolling, bank fishing, spearing. My most memorable fresh water catches are an 11 lbs. Atlantic Salmon on a streamer fly and a 12 lbs. Steelhead on a 00 Mepps with 6lb. test mono line. Past year I've been mainly trolling the Boise area lakes with my grandson. When he gets a bit taller we'll ease him over to fly and lure casting. I like to eat and smoke about all species of fish but I also believe in catch & release thus I return most.
My best Idaho experiences have been Henrys, Cascade, and C.J., although Lucky Peak and Arrowrock will get most of my interest this spring once we warm up a bit. Have two boats, two motors, tent trailer, and tow vehicle and believe me, I am ready to hit the water. Been a very long winter.
[signature]
Aluma165,

Welcome to BFT Idaho!
It is great to see a few more guys from the other side of the state joining the board. I look forward to more of your posts in the future.
[signature]
Welcome to BFT! I have really enjoyed this site and I know you will enjoy it as well. It looks like boating weather is just around the corner so we look forward to hearing about some of your expeditions.

Best wishes
[signature]
Welcome to the BTF. I dont do much fishing on the west side of the state but it will be nice to get reports from time to time. I do fish Henrys because I have a cabin in IP. Hope the brookies the IDFG planted do well, sure would be nice to get those big hogs back. Again, welcome and good fishing.
Killperch
[signature]
My thanks to Brian, Kodiak, KJFN, and Killperch for a nice welcome. Hope to see you guys out on the water. As my handle suggests I'm either in my Aluma 165 (black and silver) with a Yamaha 60 or my white Aluma cartop with a Yamaha 8. Look for me and say hi; I'll have beer in the cooler. Certainly willing to share info and tips as I fish through the year. C.J. does have some hogs as does Henrys. I'll be at both in '06. Henrys definitely in the fall; hopefully an early June trip as well. Not as far over there as one might think. I want to find out what the Lucky and Arrowrock have to offer this spring and early summer. Kokes should be good after this plus water year. This is my favorite fish to smoke. I wish they would not draw the Lucky down so far in the winter! Half a mile down the Turner ramp and slick too boot most of the time. The way they are releasing water lately makes you wonder as to this low level now being maintained. Would be nice if they'd at least bring it up another 50 - 75 feet. I'm encouraged by a couple of recent reports posted on the Lakes page regarding success up on the Lucky.
[signature]
One other note to killperch: My October trip to Henry didn't produce a big Brookie as I'd hoped but I was w/o either boat. My understanding was that most of them were being taken over toward the hatchery? Didn't even see one in all the catches I observed at the cleaning station. They were either Cutts or hybrids.
If I get lucky enough to nail a big Brookie this year I will have it mounted.
What's your take on the Brookie outlook? Most I've read suggest they will be significantly bigger each of the next few years. Have you landed one yet?
[signature]
Welcome Aluma 165. It is so great to have some interest and participation from fishermen in the Boise area. I did a little fishing as kid on that side of the state. Mostly Brownlee, lowell, and the little one near Kuna Blackrock? Anyway mostly hook and bobber stuff. I haven't been to that side of the state recently, but I intend to fish that way from time to time. Keep us posted and spread the word over there.

I forgot to mention that I fished Henry's three times last fall near the hatchery. There were a couple of days when the brook trout were in thick. I caught several in the 18" range. Next year they will be bigger. In past years I have caught them up to 22" and of course I have heard about much bigger ones.
Thanks
Windriver
[signature]
ALuma165,
I have not caught a brookie on Henrys for atleast 10 years. Back in the day (boy, do I sound old) my father and I would troll in the early spring with silver flatfish and kill the brookies. We would be by what my dad called the cliffs. Many bank fisherman go there aswell. I do think the fishing for the brookies will be better due to the planting of them and the water that has remained in the lake. I look for the big ones to show up in numbers not this year but next. You should have never identified yourself as having beer and willing to share, now you will never have enough time or beer due to all the "friendly" BTFers coming over to just say hi. Ha
Good luck
Killperch
[signature]