Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Last Monday
I know my report is a bit late. I fished Bear Lake near the Rock Pile behind the Ideal Beach Resort on Monday. I was fishing in about 50-60 feet of water with tube jigs tipped with Cisco meat. Fishing was great between about 8:00 am (which is when I was finally able to get through the gate at Ideal Beach) until about 11:30 am. After 11:30 it shut down. Everyone around me was catching fish. I picked up six nice cuts in the 2-3 pound range and one very nice lake trout that was somewhere around 30 inches or so. I have never caught a fish that big, so I am not a good judge of how much it weighed. I didn't have a camera with me, but a very nice kid that was fising next to me came over to see the fish and took a picture for me with his disposable camera. He and his dad said that they would email me the photo, but I haven't seen it yet. Has anyone heard about this or know who it was so I can get in touch with them. They were driving a white 12 passenger van if that rings any bells for anyone.

Nobody believes me that I caught a nice one since I have no photographic proof and I send the big boy back to depths! I didn't have a pen or paper to get their info and they left not long after...
[signature]
Sounds like you had a great day! I hope those folk keep the word on the photo and get it to you. That is a real bummer to have something to brag about and have no proof other than you word. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
Glad to hear you released the mac instead of taking it home just for proof you caught it. I have heard those fish are not good eating any way, its best to release them so we will always have a prime fishery like bear lake. I believe you caught a 30 inch mac, there are some big fish in bear lake and it is not uncommon to hook into them. The fish most likely weighted around 9 or 10 pounds. Congratulations on your catch.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2] Very good there Fishdude ... Always great to heare someone score that big. And very good to hear that you put it back.

Unlike what MGB said, those Bear Lake macks are quite tasty (everybody has their opinion). But LIKE MGB said, they are still better put back to help preserve that great mackinaw fishery.

I was up at bear lake yesterday and I watched three 10 pounders get caught. But two of the three were iced and only one (the one MGB caught) went back.

If those guys that took your pic do e-mail it to you, be shure to share it here. If you need any help at all with that pic, PM me and I'll be glad to help you get it on the board.

Speaking of pictures, sounds like a good time to invest in a digital camera. I sure love mine!.

Thanks again for that report. [/font][/size]
[signature]