Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear lake report 2/24/06
Hit the Bear today with Polokid, BLM, and Icejigginfool. We were the first ones out thanks to BLM's sleds. The ice is ok but there are tons shelves and dangerous areas. We just moved a little and cut a test hole. We made it out past the pile a ways and the ice was in the 4"-6" range. We talked to some guys who were out a little deeper and across a break line and they said it was only about 2". On the way in we did run over a few softer (slushy) spots, but everything turned out OK. there were about 4 other 4-wheelers out on the ice today as well. Just be careful and it will be fine with the machines.
As for the fishing it was a great day with some great company but the catching was a little slow. Polo ended up getting 2 nice (by my book) Macks and Icejigginfool caught one smaller mack. All BLM and I could manage were some cutts, but they were fun as well.

Good luck to all who go out tomorrow and be careful!
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] Hey guys, looks like you were having entirely way too much fun on the mighty Bear Lake.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3]Congrats to Polokid for those great looking macs . Thanks for sharing your pix.[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3] By the way, what was the hot bait of the day? Can I assume that it might be Cisco meat ala Bear lake? LOL[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Great pics! Man, I'm getting the Bear Lake Fever!
[signature]
Still sounds like a fun adventure! Looks like Rob has the stick when it comes to fishin' the Bear!
[signature]
Great report Elkoholic. What depth did you fish in ?

Nice macs PoloKid, hope I can hook into one like that.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, now I wish I would have been able to make it up there. Looks like Polo caught some nice fish I spent 3 days at Fish Lake just to catch one smaller than that. With this nice weather I’ve need to get some work done, getting ready for spring.
[signature]
Great report! It sounds like it was a little slow but those look like some very nice fish.

I hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of posting a link to your report on the Idaho board as well.

Thanks for sharing and good luck on your next trip!
[signature]
Yes we wee tipping with Cisco, but there really wasn't a hot jig. I think Icejigginfool was the only one to catch more than one on the same jig. We changed alot, different colors, and size but nothing was spectacular. We also moved alot to try different depths. Not alot of fish (macs) at any depth, just a few here and there.
I think it wil be time to take the boats up in a few weeks so I'll try again for the elusive mack.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Fun trip, Travis. Too bad we couldn't lay the steel to more fish. Oh ya, thanks for making my new ice rod unlucky. Now I have to give it to IFG to get it lucky again.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Think I'll head out again tomorrow. Anyone interested?[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[#ff0000][size 3]I would love to go, and as tempting as it is. I better stay and get caught up on school work!!! Hopefully you get into them!!![/size][/#ff0000]
[signature]
Tried my luck at bear lake today and I finally made the 10 pound mac club. I lost my first two hook ups then iced a 31" 10.4 pound mac. To some of you guys thats nothing special but I was pumped up for a couple hours after landing it. I also caught two cutts. OldCoot took some pictures of it for me but I made a bad mistake and set the camera on the ice before giving it to OldCoot and the lens must of had snow on it or it was fogged over.[mad]
[signature]
Nice Catch . That is a fish for the contest to seal the deal .
[signature]
Way to go Mike, I hope to join that club this year also.
[signature]
good job mike! i hope this year i can join the 15lb mack club
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]So how did the ice look today, Mike? Did it get warm up there today? I think I'll head up tomorrow and test it again. I'm afraid that the ice is not going to last very long, especially with the warm weather forecasts![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I left at 1:00 and the ice and surface was in great shape. It was clear and no wind today but just enough chill in the air to keep the ice in check. You should have no problems if you go Tomorrow.

Just for the record, I did relase that mac unharmed.
[signature]
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] Hey Mike, Congrats on your 10 lb'er. Are you still feeling the hype? It's great huh?I know that feeling very well as you know . Way to go Buddy.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
[cool]Rob and Mike, nice macks, dudes!! Dang!!!!!!!!!!! Makes me wanna go up there soon. It's supposed to be warm in the valleys the next couple of days, but on Tuesday through the end of the week winter returns (Tuesday and next Friday and Saturday it's supposed to snow again in the SL Valley, so I'm sure it will be colder than that up there) so there might be ice up there for a few more weeks...
[signature]
Another great fish Mike! Congrats on baggin' him.
[signature]
Very nice fish Mike, sounds like you found a good spot, where did you park to access the ice?
[signature]