Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going to try again !!
Hi All,

I bought a Float Tube about 12 years ago along with the fins. It was a full Round tube and considered a good one at the time. I never knew anyone who had a tube and my only knowledge was what I saw on TV. ( The Saturday Morning Fishing shows.) I wanted to try it several times but never did for fear of looking like an idiot who obviously didnt know what he was doing. After a few years I had even forgotton I had it.
Last year I came across a new pond that had nice Bass in it and I thought this might be the place to try the Float Tube since there was never anyone there. In fact I was really getting excited about trying it because there were spots around the pond you could not get to by walking and I was positive thats where the big one was.
The next weekend I aired up the tube before I left and found the fins and got everything together for a great days fishing because I was sure this was going to be really fun - floating around the pond to those spots I could never fish before.
When I got to the pond I carried everything to the edge of the water and put my waders on. Then I put my fins on and thought how the heck do I get them in the tube? But thats what the guys did on TV so it must be the way to do it. So I struggled for a while until I was standing up with the tube pulled up by the straps holding my rod along with one of the straps. I was thinking again about the TV show where the guys walked backwards in the water and sat down in the tube. So I started doing that - "Boy was that a mistake." The bottom was slick as snot and I slipped and fell down with one of my legs tucked under me. I kept trying to move but all my weight was on my leg and my leg was sunk in mud. I just sat there ! I knew there would not be anyone around to help me so I started to wiggle and push as hard as I could until finally I was in deep enough water to start floating. I was out of breath and my leg was cramped so I just floated around for a while and would make a cast every now and then. I tried to use my fins to move around a little but my leg was still cramping some. All I could think of was " How the heck am I going to get out of here? " I knew that I couldnt get out where I went in because of the soft bottom so I floated over by a tree that had a limb hanging into the water. I grabbed the limb and started pulling myself into shore - still having a hard time but managed to get out. I sat on the bank a while thinking about how much fun that was. Every time I looked at the tube I was thinking of how I could destroy it right there without using too much energy. I loaded it in the car and when I got home I put it back in the box and was convinced I would never use a float tube again.
About a month ago I was looking on the Cabelas website and came across the float tubes. The more I looked at them I was pretty sure I wanted to try it again with one of the newer tubes that was open in the front. So I did some research and came to the conclusion that the Fish Cat 4 would be the one for me. The price was good in case I didnt like it and would end up throwing it in the basement with the other tube. And it would surely be easier to get into. So I ordered it.
Sorry I took so much space telling about my problem but Im finally getting to the point. I was doing a search on float tubes to get more information on proper use when I came across your forum group. You people really have some of the neatest Ideas for dopes like me. You have got me so pumped that I purchased a fish finder and made a small rod holder yesterday but still have to finish it completely. I put my fish finder on today and things are looking up. I purchased a Gel Cel Battery from Cabelas but it sure seems heavy. After doing a little research on the net I found a site that sells 10 cell AA Battery holders so I have ordered a few of them to use with the 1.2 Volt Rechargable batterys. I live in Iowa so it will be a while before I use it. Anyway , I guess I just wanted to say thanks to you all for such a great site for people like me !
( By the way, I have never told this story to anyone including my wife , kids or grandkids. It was easier telling it here since I dont know anyone. I guess it was good therapy !)

BlackTaddie
[signature]
Welcome Black Taddie,

The British use a stillwater pattern called the "black tadpole". Is that where you're taking your name from?

Get ready for a much more positive experience. The Fish Cat is an excellent choice. You can just sit down in it and put your fins on while seated in the tube. I Have a Fat Cat and I usually throw my fins in the back, sit down and then reach back for the fins and put them on while comfortably seated in the tube.
You're definitely going to like it this time around.
[signature]
Black Taddie, I read your whole story and yes being the site Prima Donna[Wink] I can relate. My first tube was a doughnut and I kept stepping on my fins and tipping over, and the mud---been there too.
In fact I just read your story to my ol' man and he is smiling and shaking his head. What happened to you does happen. You will like the "V" or the "U" tube so much more. As long as it doesn't have one of those cross braces to connect the two sides....I hate those too, but, that is another story[Smile]

Fly Goddess
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard and we hope this time around you have a more positive experience. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been tubing for over half a century. As one of the "early" tubites, I have probably "endured" more learning experiences than most. In the book I am writing, since 1980, it began talking about round tubes only, because that is all there were. There was about a half chapter, with diagrams showing people how to get in and out of "donuts". I too used to watch the Saturday morning "cartoons", with supposedly knowledgeable anglers showing people how NOT to use a float tube. I rolled on the floor when I saw them climbing into the tube with their fins already on.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just for the record, you first set the tube on the ground, then put the fins under the tube, front on the outside and feet on the inside. Then, you sit on the back of the tube while you pull the straps up over your heels. Simple. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As others have suggested, the open front craft are a world of difference. But, I would suggest a "shakedown cruise" without tackle and other gear so that you can get familiar with it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, whenever you are looking for a launch site, try to find either a ramp or gently sloping sand or grass. Mud is a big no no. I used to tube in some of the brackish water canals below New Orleans for redfish and sea trout. The banks were greasy mud. At low tide, I skied down the banks on my fins and splashed down. I am lucky I was a skier as a youngster. If I flubbed it, I could have been in trouble. I fished until high tide and then the fun began. Sometimes the mud was softer than others. One time I had to pitch my rods up on the grassy bank, pull the donut up over my head (while standing in the steep mud banks) and then haul myself across the mud by pulling on the overhanging brush and reeds. I was a mess, but I got a lot of fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh, the memories. Thanks for sharing your story with us and know that we are all here to help you with your new/old hobby.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hi and welcome Black Taddie. Thanks for sharing your story and experience with us here.

I was so glad to find out that I wasn't the only one that could have created a funny video by way of my first donut launch too.

I actually still have my 1st donut that TubeDude gave to me when I was just a little tube. I thought it was so much fun to watch him tuben, that I decided that I wanted to go TubeN2.[Smile]

We have all seen or heard of the dreadfull first launch and get to put "That One" behind us once we have learned to be more gracefull with our actions.

I too have an FC4 and rally enjoy it more than the original dinking donut.[cool]
[signature]
Oh it is great fun no matter how you do! I have been there too same thought you had but I had fun! I'm gonna try it all like everyone on this great tubing board has been talking about. You said "there was never anyone there" was that pond hidden from the road? I love those!
BTW welcome to the tubing board!
[signature]
I forgot one more thing, ya said "grandkids"... we are never too old to have fun![Smile][Wink]
[signature]
[blush]Welcome to the world of float tubing! TubeDude and I often get the chuckles when we remember my first lauch! It was at Deer Creek Reservoir (in Utah) and fortunately it was during cool weather, so there weren't too many people hanging around to watch. We most certainly would have won the grand prize on America's Funniest Videos if we had only thought that far ahead! I think you'll find it an amazingly comfortable way to fish!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]First off let me say this is the first time I have seen a post by Tube Babe. I thought you were tube dudes imaginary friend[Wink][/size][/blue][/font]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?username=BlackTaddie;"][font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]BlackTaddie[/size][/blue][/font][/url][font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3], you say you got a gel cell battery, have you check into one of the small rechargeables in Cabela's for $19. I found a warehouse here where I can get them for around $2. so I have stocked up. They are 4" X 6" X 2 1/2". They are a little heavy maybe 3 lbs. but they last almost a whole month on one charge.[/size][/blue][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I don't think TB is gonna like being thought of as my "imaginary friend". We're married, not friends. Fishing buddies maybe.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, you should never run those gel cells all the way down. They should be recharged after every use. They are not designed to be "deep cycle" and using them until they are completely discharged is harmful to them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]The ones I am talking about aren't really Gel Cell they are sealed lead acid filled (non spill) and I agree and it say's right on it not to take it all the way down. Good point. Sorry about the imaginery friend, I consider Alan my best friend, but I have seen her pictures and she definitly exists! Just never seen her post before, or maybe I just didn't notice......SORRREEYYYYYY! Who loves you baby ME![/size][/blue][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Same battery. They are referred to both ways. Same deal. Keep them charged up if you can. They were originally designed as "maintenance" batteries in electronic systems, where they are usually hooked up to a "smart charger". That adds charge when they drop below a certain point and stops when they reach peak charge.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you have one of those low amp "trickle chargers", it usually only puts about a half amp per hour back in the battery and is not strong enough to cause harm if you accidently leave it on the charger too long. It is far worse to drain them completely before recharging.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A good idea is to get a voltage tester that will measure the voltage on those 12 volt batteries. At peak charge it should be between 12.5 volts and 13 volts. If it gets below about 11 volts output, you should put it on the charger. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most float tube type sonar systems will not drain a 6 or 7 amp battery in a full day of fishing. In fact, you could probably run it for two or three days. But...again...not good for the battery.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]I do have the trickle chargers and the meter and you are right I recharge after a weekend. The new ones we got are a little bigger. The ones in the cataloge are 12V 6 Ah (1260) but these are 12V 8Ah (1280) and don't know how much difference it is going to make, but the weight is about the same so why not.[/size][/blue][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I also got some of those in the "bargain cave". I got some smaller ones too, just to try and see what kind of life they had for a sonar. I am all for lighter weight. I still haven't tried them yet. At 70 cents a pound I figured I couldn't lose much. If nothing else I got a good anchor for my tube.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I bought the 12 Volt 8amp Battery with charger from Cabelas. It weighed 5 1/2 pounds so I sent it back. Im going to use a 10 cell AA battery holder. I will put 10 1.2 volt rechargables in it and the size is only : 3 1/16" W x 1 1/8"D x 2 3/8" H. I fit the holder in a small camera case - very compact. I put my fish finder on simulation Sunday and ran it 8 hours before turning it off. I imagine you could get quite a few hours with the AAs.
[signature]