Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porcupine/Hyrum report.
Fished porcupine today, slow is the word. Only got about seven fish myself by about 11:00 am. 1 Kokanee and the rest rainbows. Small fish too. Rainbow sparkle had a few bows, skeeter got a few browns, and the hobofisherman got skunked again! Well, except for the one fish I caught on his pole while he was dinking around with rainbow sparkle. I am told we ran into fishermantim while we were up there too. Anybody else from BFT up there saturday? Pink firefly was the lure that did it for me. Well, until I hooked into a good size fish that made a run on me and broke my line. Then I had to switch to a red one cause the hobofisherman was out of the good stuff. Anyways, after slow fishing and no size we decided that we could have got more fish of the same size at hyrum so we went down there. Fishing was slow, I got a perch on the bottom in 50 ft of water, and after a few holes drilled and no fish seen on the finder we called it a day and headed home. Mantua had several groups of anglers on the ice. Anyone from here try mantua today? I am wanting to go there during the week and give it a try. How thicks the ice? Skeeter, get that fish finder fixed yet?
[signature]
Hey Predator,I was thinking on takeing the kids up there tomorrow,was there any snow on the banks so if the catching is slow would they be able to sleigh ride? Where were you guys fishing and how deep?What was the road like getting up to the dam?? Thanks:M.H.
[signature]
I assume you are talking porcupine? There is very little snow, and whats there is hard and crusted over. We fished in the back near the inlet, straight across from the " ramp ". We were in 30 ft of water, the browns were up shallower in about 15 ft. The road was kind of slick in spots. but fairly decent. It was cold up there, the sun just didnt make it high enough to hit the south side ice. The ice was about six inches thick. Strange considering that there is open water in the midle of the lake. Lots of guys up there. The back end was a parking lot before long. if you are thinking hyrum, forget it on the sleigh riding. The state park looked like grass.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]You'd think it's April around here. The snow's only on the north side of things and the temp is pleasant. This ain't like no other winter I've ever seen...[/size][/font]
[signature]
Cheers to all!

Crawled out of bed and wandered over to Hyrum with my three year old about 2pm and stayed until the shadow crossed over, gorgeous fishing day, way slow catching day. Had a few micro light taps and one 4-inch perch out from the dam. Ice around the edges was thin for a few feet, 6-7 inches 30 yards out and thinned to 4-5 inches 50-60 yards out. Talked to everybody I saw, using everything but the kitchen sink, and they reported similar. There was a group that I noticed that had at least one fish but they vaporized when fish and game showed up checking licenses.
[signature]
[Tongue]Predator my fish finder worked perfect after you shut off your mega wattage fish finder. We found after you left that a orange ratfink worked excellent tipped with a wax worm. All the fish we caught were small and not really worth our time but it was somewhat fast fishing. Get the boats ready the ice is melting.

later Skeeter
[signature]
I fished the porc on saturday and did alright. We started about 7 and fished till noon. WE started next to the ledge just east of the damn.( just under the road) Fishing was slow and all we caught was little rainbows. We then moved over to the southside just under the ledge by the damn. WE ended up with about 20 small rainbows and two browns. one 14 inch brown and one 23 inch. Fish were skinny and the biggest was only about 3 lbs. Fished with foxy jigs. about size ten. tipped with a giant mealworm. The little ones are hard to hook but the bigger fish will take the pole.
[signature]
Predator, I took my daughter and my brother-in-law to porcupine on Sat. We fished about 300 feet out from the dam and 150 feet from the south shore. We had two schools of kokes come through and caught 24 that were 12" to 15". They were really fat and healthy. between schools there was nothing. The last school came through at about 10:00. We should have left and gone to hyrum then but hope springs eternal and I knew we would get another school, so we kicked back in the sun and then went home at 12:30 without another nibble.

It was a beautiful day for fishing.

fdg
[signature]
What are you talking about I got skunked? I didn't get skunked at all. I ended up with a couple of fish not counting the one you caught on my pole. You must have been to busy watching your big screen. Remember, you used my fish slimed rag to wipe with? [Smile]
[signature]