Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions on ?
I have a chance to help a good friend equip a new boat. What would be the best fish finder and the most user friendly for less experienced fishermen? What would be the best electric trolling motor for bow? What thrust would be appropriate for 22 ft. Deck Boat? Any suggestions will help. Thanks Guys Pikeman Go Fish
[signature]
Since no one has answered I'll give it a shot.
A Minn Kota Powerdrive would work good on the deck boat. A good rule of thumb is 2-2.5 lbs thrust for each 100 lbs of boat.(including gear and people) I like the built in sonar transducer and the auto pilot features available on the Powerdrive motors but of course they cost more.
There are several good fishfinders available. I like my Lowrance color unit. Garmin and Raymarine color units are real nice. Humminbird has has a bad rap in years past but their newer units are showing some real promise. Don't try to go to inexpensively on the fish finder. Get one with at least 240 vertical pixels on the screen. 320, 480, or even 640 is much better. Color is real nice as it shows fish in structure as a different color. Raymarine has three new digital models that work well with a minimum of 'fiddleing' with the controls. A unit with GPS mapping is lots of fun and useful to mark good fishin' holes and under water hazzards.
Hope this helps.
[signature]
kd,

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if anyone was going to reply.
[signature]
Hey no problem. There is nothing more fun than spending someone elses money![Smile]
[signature]
I think I'll have to agree with KD... The Minn Kota is a great choice. My dad just picked one up a few weeks ago. Before he got it he did a lot of research on what brand to get. Minn Kota came out on top for what he needed. Also its better to buy a bigger motor and not need it then to go to small and wish you had more.

I have a Lowrance 320 fish finder and love it. For the money you can't go wrong. You can now get the 480 for almost the same price. The Lowrance is very easy to use.
[signature]