Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1-15-03 Venice Report
[left][font "Verdana, Tahoma, Arial"][#000000][size 2]Cold and windy!!!! But we went at it anyway!! It looked like the wind was going to lay last night as all the flags were limp against the pole. This moring was another story. Woke up to HOWLING winds. I heard one report from an offshore captain that the winds were 29kts at SW Pass! My guys were down from N.O. and ready to fish, so off the Champion went. After our 45 minute journey downriver, I pulled the throttle back. I dont know what was better, the idea of warming up after that ride or catching fish! I guess the guys didn't want to turn around and ride back against the wind so they started fishing! And CATCHING! Nothing real fast however. Steadily we plucked away until we had boxed a NICE LIMIT of REDS! After our limit, we even had time to catch and release another 10 or so. Perfect size fish, 16-26". It was nice to know I still had the touch after having not fished in a week and a half. I was ready after 6 days of talking fishing at the show in Nashville. This time of year can be enjoyable if you take some precautions. The number one thing on the water is clothing that breaks the wind. The actual air temp isnt so bad, its that wind knifing through your layers of clothes. I wear a COLUMBIA DOUBLE WHAMMY PARKA and Insulated Bibs by Polartec. I've not been cold once this year. Another thing I have is a wind proof fleece face mask for the ride, this is AWESOME! No more cold face and ears!
Our secret today was fishing the edges of the outer bays. The water temps are slightly warmer here and the fish remain active through the winter. We caught some of our fish tigh lining jigs very slowly and also under a cork. Color didnt seem to matter as long as it was SLOW. Venice can give up some great catches in the winter months. YOu can come enjoy this action for as little as $99 a person!! (3min) This is an unbeatable deal to wet your appetite for the upcoming spring season! One call to REEL SHOT GUIDE SERVICE puts you on the water for $99 a person! (3min) REEL SHOT GUIDE SERVICE 985-969-0810[/size][/#000000][/font] [/left]
[signature]
CaptBrandon,
WOW! This is a great report from the Lousiana Area. I realy like the full detail and precautions you have given for thies cooler months.
I will be watching for your future reports with all my full attention on them as you provide them.
I also would like to say: WELCOME TO THE GREAT AND GROWING BFT MESSAGE BOARDS!
I would like to also send you and your patrons an open invitation to come on over to the first BFT Texas Get Together over in Port Aransas, Texas. It will be running from April 7, 2003 through April 12, 2003. There will be a fishing Tournament held at the South Jettys on the 12th for a great ending of this event.
Again I say: WELCOME ABOARD!
[signature]